• Glock 29sf

13 34.21%
  • Ruger SP101 327 Fed Mag

3 7.89%
  • S&W 629 Mountain Gun 44Mag

10 26.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need help with a new pistol purchase

I'm up in the air about what I want and the spectrum is wide(as it usually is) but I'm considering a new pistol/revolver. In the running is the Ruger LCR in 357, I like the option of using 357 or 38, and 357 mag is a good winter time pocket rocket(even though I don't pocket carry) IWB just like my LCP. The next option is the Glock 29sf; what do I say about why...it's a 10mm. The only dislike I have is I'm not a huge Glock fan but I like the 10mm in the small package of the 29. The Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed Mag, I have been intrigued by the cartridge since it came out, but I have no experience with it at all but I have had 2 in 357 mag and love them. And last but not least a S&W 629 Mountain gun 4" barrel 44Mag. I would not carry this except for journey's into the woods hunting, fishing or hiking, but my only rebuttal to this is the Glock29 could do the same job. I would love to hear what you guys think, I'm not in a rush to buy anything yet but within the next few weeks maybe even after Christmas making my purchase. Obviously some of these are a horse of another color but do worry about that, I just want to hear about the choice of pistol.
    Thanks
    Last edited by *Klutch*; November 24th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: I need help with a new pistol purchase

I vote for the 44 mountain gun only because I saw a nice one in the classifieds last night.

(Luzerne County)

When I go hiking, I carry my S&W model 60 in 357 mag. There are bears and bgs out there!

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    When I go hiking, I carry my S&W model 60 in 357 mag. There are bears and bgs out there!
    how does the model 60 handle the 357 mag?

I like the 327 mag but I'm leaning toward the 357 right now. I was in Cabela's last night and those 327 cartridges are small.

(Beaver County)

I love wheelguns but I have a G29 an a few other 10mms. So I voted for that. We need a comeback on this cartridge and make it popular again. Now if you could buy a used S&W revolver chambered in 10mm that would be hands down first and only choice.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Cumberland County)

love my g29 and would take it over a revolver anytime. and yes i do have revolvers: s&w 19 4", taurus 85 stainless, taurus 85 ultra-lite, several italian copies of sa revolvers, .357 and .44 colt. keep in mind you can not use the glock for hunting, does not mean you can not have it with you when you are.

(Franklin County)

Id say the glock cause, well its a 10mm, but the 327 is very very interesting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    how does the model 60 handle the 357 mag?

I like the 327 mag but I'm leaning toward the 357 right now. I was in Cabela's last night and those 327 cartridges are small.
    Superb! Model 66 is the ultimate development in stainless of the most beautiful revolver the world has ever known, the S&W Model 19. Of which there is no whicher.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I own a Ruger LCR, a Glock 17, and a Glock 29. Without a doubt, I'd say go with the LCR.

It is by far my favorite handgun. The trigger is beautiful, and I've never felt a DA so nice on a revolver. I also enjoy how light it is and the versatility in ammunition.

Best part about it is I'm an avid outdoorsman, and cleaning it in the field is so much easier than my Glocks. Granted, Glocks aren't hard by any means, but whipping out the cylinder, wiping it down with my t-shirt, and then closing the cylinder just can't be beat. Just make sure to buy ammunition with sealed primers so the powder doesn't get wet if you're outside in the rain.

To top it all off, it's versatile. It's great for a pack gun while camping. You can hunt with it (within 10 yards; it's accurate past that, but you lose too much velocity). You can take out any bobcats or coyotes that get a little too close. You can carry it with you to the movies or to dinner or to the grocery store. You know it will go bang every time you pull the trigger, and you don't have to worry about jams or ammo pickiness.

Overall, I'd say it should be your next purchase. It's just amazing for so many reasons and for so many uses, especially considering you go outdoors a lot. Just a great gun.

---

Take into account that your poll will be majorly skewed. There are far more Glock owners out there than LCR owners. I'm actually surprised the G29 isn't blowing everything else away.

(NOTE: only gripe is the sights. They're terrible. If you buy it, upgrade the front sight to a Hi-Viz or other fiber optic. They're great.)
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; November 24th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

I voted LCR. I'm growing fond of them, and it's certainly is on my to-own list

I chose the LCR in your list mainly due to the 29SF (10mm) and the SP 101 in 327 mag being kind of odd-ball ammo. You won't find either everywhere, where you can find 38 SPL and 357 MAG almost anywhere that has ammo. Surely, you can buy online, but if you want ammo in a pinch it might not be too forthcoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast