Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Crossbow bolts

(Chester County)

Default Crossbow bolts

I just got new bolts for my Hoyt Legend 175 crossbow. After messing up the fletching on the old aluminum bolts and comparing them to the carbon ones I decided to go carbon fiber. I got a 6-pack of Victory brand Xbolt 22F V3 for a great deal, only problem is they're a little too long at 22" (I need 20"-20.5" if I remember correctly) and my question is can I cut them down myself with a hacksaw and a tabletop mitre? I know enough to not try this myself with the aluminums but these carbon fibers seem to be an entirely different beast and as easy as remove brass insert, cut, replace insert. Am I not taking something into account?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Crossbow bolts

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    I just got new bolts for my Hoyt Legend 175 crossbow. After messing up the fletching on the old aluminum bolts and comparing them to the carbon ones I decided to go carbon fiber. I got a 6-pack of Victory brand Xbolt 22F V3 for a great deal, only problem is they're a little too long at 22" (I need 20"-20.5" if I remember correctly) and my question is can I cut them down myself with a hacksaw and a tabletop mitre? I know enough to not try this myself with the aluminums but these carbon fibers seem to be an entirely different beast and as easy as remove brass insert, cut, replace insert. Am I not taking something into account?

Pretty sure those inserts are glued in (they are with compound bow arrows) so it's not as simple as removing them and reinserting them. You'd most likely have to buy new ones as well as the glue used for them.

How do they shoot otherwise? I know with my compound bow a little longer of an arrow isn't the end of the word. You have an archery shop nearby you can have them cut them down for you or at least tell you if it's possible

We could not find 18" for our crossbow so bought 20" and see no difference. The difference in weight is so small as to be insignificant.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Like you said Phil, the weight difference is negligible. I haven't shot them yet because as they are they'll stick out past the steel foot ring and, as crossbows are left in the cocked position, I don't want them to snag on branches (or me!). I figured I may not be able to get the inserts out and might have to buy new ones, it's the actual cutting I'm worried about. Will this damage the overall integrity of the bolt?

(Montgomery County)

I can't imagine it being any different than cutting a standard carbon arrow down. Just did a little search online and there were a few guys who said it was ok to cut them so long as you used a fine blade saw and cut them even. I'd give it a shot on one to see how it works out.

EDIT: I've read an equal amount of posts saying it's better to just buy the proper arrow size and be done with it.... so I'd say try one and see what happens. I can't imagine that if it's cut properly it would mess with the integrity of the bolt at all.
    Last edited by soup; November 23rd, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

(Monroe County)

NO !!!!!

You CAN NOT cut Carbon arrows (or bolts) with a hack saw! You need to use an arrow saw with an extremely high RPM blade or else you are going to do nothing but splinter and destroy them. I've heard of people using a dremmel and it working but I've heard a lot more have ruined them them done it successfully. You really need an arrow saw to ensure its done right.

Inserts are either super glued or epoxied in, they are designed not to come out and normally don't. If you want you can try the drill bit slamming method but it rarely works. DO NOT heat up carbon arrows!

If you need to cut either due it from the rear (most nocks come out easily they normally aren't glued in anymore) or you will need to cut off enough on the front to get rid of the whole insert (normally 1+ inches at least)

I would suggest either using them as is or returning them and buying new. an extra 2 inches will add maybe 15 - 18 grains to the weight of your bolt... overall nothing really significant but you may see a POI change. Make sure you shoot them with broadheads on to determine accurate hunting POI!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Your better off going and buying the right length bolt than trying to cut them down to size. Its much cheaper and easier.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!