Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Got tagged for printing today

I CC mostly and I don't really make a big effort to hide my OWB 1911 because up to now no one has said anything about it. So today at the local grocery store I was just picking up a few things and a nice older guy (probably in his 60s) came up to me and said that I should try harder to hide my sidearm. I chuckled and told him that I wasn't trying too hard to conceal it but I pulled my sweatshirt down a bit because the tip of my holster was exposed. We chatted for a bit and I told him that I also don't make a big deal about concealing it here because I know one of the managers and that he's a target shooter and hunter and is pro-2A. I told him about this site but he said he's not internet savy and thanked me anyway.

In all a great experience, no panicing shoppers, no crying babies, no cops.

If you ever get on here Tim, thanks for being a cool cat.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Got tagged for printing today

Ah yes, the sticking out the bottom of the jacket/coat thing - it happens.. it also makes you want to buy a new coat that's longer! (Now I sort of "get" the whole trench coat thing)

(Monroe County)

Jerry Ahern has a interesting chapter in his book on this very incident types

(Northampton County)

If someone told me to try harder to conceal my firearm, I'd be kind of annoyed. Mind your business, old timer. Next time try harder to conceal your ignorance.

Before the incoming flames: yes, I realize that this particular man was just trying to be helpful. There is a difference between saying "excuse me sir, I just thought you would like to know that your firearm is sticking out" vs. "hey, try harder to hide your firearm." I wasn't there and the OP didn't give enough clarification, so the tone of the "tag" is difficult to discern.

(Philadelphia County)

If someone told me I was printing I'd assume they were "like minded" and trying to strike up a conversation.

edit: Of course if you wanted to end the conversation right away you could always respond with "are you looking at my ass?"
    Last edited by photoshooter; November 22nd, 2011 at 07:14 AM.

(Delaware County)

I had an similar experience a couple years ago. I'm not an OCer, not that there's anything wrong with that , I'm also not a cover garment type guy, I wear a T-shirt all year and rarely anything over it. I buy shirts that are one size larger than I need so I can bunch it up around the waist band and always have it tucked in. If I do have a coat or jacket I take it off when inside.

Anyway, I was in the local grocery store in my normal t-shirt & jeans CCing my SP101 in my tuckable IWB holster. I was in the store for a few minutes and the security guard came up to me and quietly asked if I was carrying a gun, I told him I was, he asked if I had a license (not permit) I said I do, and he said that's good, I noticed you printing have a nice day and went about his business.

This store is close to home, I go there a lot, and I know he's seen me in the store over the years, as I kind of stick out, big guy, lots of tattoo's, among other things. I guess that's why he didn't freak out about the man with the gun.

He was doing his job, kept the whole thing as private as could be in a public place, and I didn't mind one bit how it went down.

This incident was the only time I've ever been told I was "made", so I must do a decent job of hiding it, which is good because I really don't like to draw attention to myself. I don't carry to be an advocate or activist, I carry for protection, nothing more, nothing less.

(Delaware County)

I never OC either on purpose. But like Bill mentions above, taking of your jacket as you sit to eat or because you are inside happens. I am very aware of my presentation, so I always sit with my OWB weapon facing the wall. I can not stand IWB holsters, so I always wear OWB. If I take my jacket off I will carry it on my right side, etc., etc.

I never have been questioned or called out in all the years I have carried! But I would handle it similar to many here. If someone see's it and mentions it, I would assume they are like minded!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

One thing many on this board lacks, is the historical record of Concealed WEAPONS PERMITS in Pennsylvania. Many OLD TIMERS who had Concealed CARRY PERMITS, had just that, A CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT.
    Its only been in the last 15 years that the laws have changed. It doesn't help that Sheriff's give out Pamplets that provide false and misleading information. That means an old timer has renewed his LTCF two or three times since a vast number of laws concerning LTCF has changed.
    Younger people for the most part are more connected to the internet and understand forums like this one and blah blah blah technology.

Perhaps if "Young" members knew that not too far in the distant past, not only was LTCF specific for Concealed Carry but you could only carry one Gun and that gun had to be listed on the LTCF by manufacturer, model, caliber, and serial number.

Yes, laws change but if you were 23 in 1950/60 and got your concealed carry permit and renewed it every year, or two, or three, as it were, and were told by trusted members of the law enforcement community what you could or could not do, either in writing or pamphlet, I would suspect that the knowledge gained would stick for some time, barring some young asshole treating me with disrespect because they have a smart phone. Hell, young police officers don't know what a LTCF truly allows nor that there is no Gun REGISTRATION and yet, many members here want to verbally beat down an older gentlemen for just trying to save whoever is carrying from hardship because back in the day the laws were drastically different. Not to mention good meaning citizens who forget that laws change from state to state.

Its about education not isolation and disrespect. So, if this post fits you, learn from it. If not, don't worry about it.

Another thing, these old timers are the one's who stood up and fought for the less restrictive carry laws you enjoy today. Show a little patience and respect but I guess I ask to much.

CL

(Wyoming County)

^^^^^Right on target!

(Montgomery County)

Just before I got my first permit many years ago a friend of mine told me to give the officer the info on several guns. If they can't fit them all into the space they will put "Various Weapons" in the space. After years and years without carrying I went back and got a permit. With me I had the info on six different handguns. No longer needed it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast