Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default State Game Lands (109)

After moving back to Pennsylvania I just found out that you now need a permit to use the shooting ranges on the State Game Lands unless you have a hunting license. My question, the regulations state you are not allowed to have a loaded handgun unless you are at a designated shooting station. What if you have a Pennsylvania State issued License To Carry Firearms?

Thanks

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: State Game Lands (109)

Quote Originally Posted by 40calman View Post
    After moving back to Pennsylvania I just found out that you now need a permit to use the shooting ranges on the State Game Lands unless you have a hunting license. My question, the regulations state you are not allowed to have a loaded handgun unless you are at a designated shooting station. What if you have a Pennsylvania State issued License To Carry Firearms?

Thanks
    IANAL - You are correct the regulations do state that. I have never had an issue with a WCO. I usually use SGL 230 - off of RT 34 outside of Carlisle, and I show up with a loaded firearm (carrying under my LTCF); I safely unload my carry ammo then shoot using FMJs then rearm with hollow points. Until I'm citated or receive a liability agreement from the PGC, I don't plan to change my carry.

Here is the link
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapJtoc.html

(b)(1) - Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.
    Authority
    The provisions of this § 135.181 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 721(a), 2102(a) and 2901(b).

Sec. 721. Control of property.
    (a) General rule.--The administration of all lands or waters owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the commission shall be under the sole control of the director, and the commission shall promulgate regulations consistent with the purpose of this title for its use and protection as necessary to properly manage these lands or waters. The acquisition, use and management of such lands or waters owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the commission, including timber cutting and crop cultivation, shall not be subject to regulation by counties or municipalities.
    (b) Penalty.--A violation of regulations promulgated under subsection (a) is a summary offense of the fifth degree.
    Sec. 2102. Regulations.
    (a) General rule.--The commission shall promulgate such regulations as it deems necessary and appropriate concerning game or wildlife and hunting or furtaking in this Commonwealth, including regulations relating to the protection, preservation and management of game or wildlife and game or wildlife habitat, permitting or prohibiting hunting or furtaking, the ways, manner, methods and means of hunting or furtaking, and the health and safety of persons who hunt or take wildlife or may be in the vicinity of persons who hunt or take game or wildlife in this Commonwealth.
    (e) Penalties.--
    (1) Unless otherwise specifically provided, any person convicted or pleading guilty to or pleading nolo contendere to any violation of any regulation promulgated under this title where any game or wildlife is unlawfully possessed, killed or taken or any attempt is made to unlawfully kill, take or possess any game or wildlife shall be subject to the penalties imposed under section 2307(d) (relating to unlawful taking or possession of game or wildlife).
    (2) Unless otherwise specifically provided, any other violation of any regulation of the commission is a summary offense of the fifth degree.
    Section 2901 - refers to the required range permit or hunting/furtaker license. Can't find the penalty - most likely a summary offense.

6109 doesn't provide any stipulations on loaded/unloaded status of the firearm. Without the LTCF, you are required by 6106 to have the firearm unloaded, and to go between the range and place of assembly.

Title 18: Section 6109. Licenses.
    (a) Purpose of license.—A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: State Game Lands (109)

i have wanted to see a opinion on this as well. have not had the chance encounter with a warden to ask. until it is clarified for me i going under the assumption this relates to firearms being used at the range, not my carry gun. yes i carry at the range and typically use other guns to shoot while leaving my carry gun alone. any wardens out there? your opinions on this would be appreciated for myself as well as others.

I would think that the number of Armed Robberies that take place at shooting ranges, one would be completely insane not to keep a loaded firearm for protection on their person.

CL

(Erie County)

I called the Northwest Region (814) 432-3187 and asked if I have a permit to use the shooting range at game lands 109 and also have a Pennsylvania State Issued License To Carry Firearms can I carry concealed when shooting at the game lands. He seemed a little surprised by my question then told me that I would be covered by my license to carry, but if I were shooting my carry pistol I could not have more the 6 rounds in my weapon at the shooting station. I told him I only wanted to pattern my shotgun. He said I would be OK to carry concealed with more than 6 rounds. I’m going to the range over the Thanksgiving weekend and will have my 45 ACP under my jacket. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Frank

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: State Game Lands (109)

thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns. i find the answer you got a bit surprising but i also feel it was the right one. rep to you. red dog