Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: If I get a PA Pistol Permit and Move out of PA ?

Thanks to all! now I understand :-)

Have a nice day, beautiful here in NY lower 70's my kind of weather.

stan

(Cumberland County)

Many states let you continue to have your license even though you live out of State. I have lived here for 9 years, and still keep my Ct. permit current. At first, I fibbed and used a relatives address to keep it, but then I read up on the Ct. website, and sure enough, you can keep your CT. permit no matter what State you live in - just keep renewing it and sending a new pic.

Question on centre appl:

28. REASON FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS:
    SELF-DEFENSE, EMPLOYMENT, HUNTING & FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, GUN COLLECTING, OTHER ______

Question----You do check Self Defense don't you?

I ask because when I was getting my permit 30 years ago I was told it goes faster if you check collecting, and target shooting, but again it was maybe just nonsense.

thanks

stash

(Bucks County)

You could check all of those boxes if you want to. They'll probably put "Self Defense" on the license anyway. There are no licenses just for collecting or target practice, etc. in Pennsylvania. Which boxes you decide to check won't affect the length of time it takes to issue your license at all.

Thank-you

stash

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu View Post
    Question on centre appl:

28. REASON FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS:
    SELF-DEFENSE, EMPLOYMENT, HUNTING & FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, GUN COLLECTING, OTHER ______

Question----You do check Self Defense don't you?

I ask because when I was getting my permit 30 years ago I was told it goes faster if you check collecting, and target shooting, but again it was maybe just nonsense.

thanks

stash

Unless you live in some crazy state that is more likely to issue a license for some obscure reason I think the reason should be Self-Defense. Regardless of the law, one of the reasons you have a license is to show it to a cop. Self-defense means "at all times." "Hunting" might cause the cop to establish if you are hunting before deciding whether or not to put you in jail.

There may also be legal implications in reciprocity states if you choose other than self-defense. From the WV website:

http://www.wvstatepolice.com/legal/faq's.html

Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only...
    Don't know if that is part of the law or not but you can see what WVSP might think if your LTCF did not say "Self-Defense." I have heard there may be implications in other states but don't remember.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Unless you live in some crazy state that is more likely to issue a license for some obscure reason I think the reason should be Self-Defense. Regardless of the law, one of the reasons you have a license is to show it to a cop. Self-defense means "at all times." "Hunting" might cause the cop to establish if you are hunting before deciding whether or not to put you in jail.

There may also be legal implications in reciprocity states if you choose other than self-defense. From the WV website:

http://www.wvstatepolice.com/legal/faq's.html

Don't know if that is part of the law or not but you can see what WVSP might think if your LTCF did not say "Self-Defense." I have heard there may be implications in other states but don't remember.
    I hadn't thought of this. It's a good point.

(Monroe County)

As a former resident of NY and pistol "permit" carrier for over 10 years, I can tell you that it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever if you have permits in other states and will not help make things easier in NY, especially if you mean NYC. I lived in Suffolk county Ny and moved to NYC and had to reapply all over again as if I was a new applicant. There is no reciprocity as far as I am aware with any other state so having an out of state permit/license/whatever will not help.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Also in NYS, you cannot get a carry permit of any type other than target to and from a range unless you have a "need". "Acceptable" reasons include being employed as a security guard (only can be carried while working however) or being in a business where you carry large amounts of cash. If you do not show a "need" your permit (to carry) WILL be denied.

You should be prepared that the permit (including prints) will cost about $400 and take around 6 months.
    Last edited by Mike35; July 16th, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: additional info

Default Picture needed?

Question: when sending in a permit appl to Centre County Sheriff is a picture needed?----I ask because it does not say, I assumed they use the pic from your NY permit and/or auto license?.

Send it:

Application
    Pistol permit--copy
    Auto license-- copy

This is all it says to mail in.

Thanks

Stash
    Last edited by Stashu; July 19th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast