Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Wow traffic sucks

My favorite was the truck hauling hydrofluoric acid that tipped over on 33 south on Wind Gap hill a few years ago. He swerved to avoid a "deer." Its a good thing there was no spill and it wasnt raining that day. Hydrofluoric acid and water dont get along...

(Monroe County)

Dredly is 100% right , i drive 33 twice a day 5 days a week and when i'm in the SLOW lane doing 70 these trucks are blowing by me like crazy even on wet snowy days.

I know these drivers are under pressure by their employers to make time but at the expense of other peoples's lives? Or their own lives? Dont they have kids?

(Northampton County)

It’s always difficult for family’s to lose a loved one, especially during the holiday season. When I am stuck in traffic and it’s due to an accident I remind myself that my day has got to be much better than those involved in the accident. A quick prayer is in order expressing thanks and also for the less fortunate.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Dredly is 100% right , i drive 33 twice a day 5 days a week and when i'm in the SLOW lane doing 70 these trucks are blowing by me like crazy even on wet snowy days.

I know these drivers are under pressure by their employers to make time but at the expense of other peoples's lives? Or their own lives? Dont they have kids?
    I drive it every day as well...and between the speeding trucks coming up the hill, the 35-40mph trucks with people weaving around them and cutting other people off, and the blind on ramp at the top of the hill coming out of Wind Gap, this is a terrible area.

The truck was headed northbound, so he wasn't getting off at any exit, but my bet (pure speculation) is on the fact that he had to swerve out of the way of a car coming up the on ramp and merging without looking, because I see it all the time.

In my opinion based on the number of crossover accidents in this area, PennDOT should have installed much stronger guide rail in the curves in this area, from just north of the Saylorsburg exit to the concrete barrier going into Wind Gap. Just after it was installed in the area where the accident was yesterday, the guide rail was dented from a car that almost crossed into the northbound lanes, so it is definitely a problem area.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Big trucks lose it there all the time, they put guard rail in, he went through the guard rail into oncoming traffic. I don't care what another car did short of running into him, if you can't keep your vehicle in control safely then you are going to fast.

plus I drive this area a lot, the only way this guy was doing the speed limit is if he was getting off at the exit. speed limit is 55 through here, average speed is 70+, I get passed daily by semi's and big box trucks daily when I'm going 65+ in the "slow" lane and they are in the speed lane
    While I understand the sentiment here in order for trucks to be able to drive at a speed to properly handle a car cutting them off they'd have to always drive at a speed 15 to 20 mph under the limit since weight and gravity can make it a lot more difficult to maneuver and stop fast. A car can slow and speed up in a manner of seconds, it takes the truck a few minutes to get back up to speed and they need longer stopping distances. A lot of accidents are caused by impatient car drivers weaving in and out and taking that space in front of a truck, a space most truckers will leave as a safe stopping distance.

A lot of states used to have two speed limits, one for cars one for trucks, not that big a deal when there's two or more lanes going in the same direction but on a one lane road you have cars trying to get around the slower moving trucks creating more of a hazard than the going slower relieves. There's still a road like this going through Mt. Pocono. I think it's more dangerous to have two different speeds.

Yes, there are some accidents cause by truck being driven too fast, and I don't know if that was the case here, but a lot are caused by a car who isn't involved in the accident personally but caused it to happen. Guy probably goes home or where ever never knowing they caused it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by US Militiaman View Post
    I drive it every day as well...and between the speeding trucks coming up the hill, the 35-40mph trucks with people weaving around them and cutting other people off, and the blind on ramp at the top of the hill coming out of Wind Gap, this is a terrible area.

The truck was headed northbound, so he wasn't getting off at any exit, but my bet (pure speculation) is on the fact that he had to swerve out of the way of a car coming up the on ramp and merging without looking, because I see it all the time.

In my opinion based on the number of crossover accidents in this area, PennDOT should have installed much stronger guide rail in the curves in this area, from just north of the Saylorsburg exit to the concrete barrier going into Wind Gap. Just after it was installed in the area where the accident was yesterday, the guide rail was dented from a car that almost crossed into the northbound lanes, so it is definitely a problem area.
    yeah, there is no reason they don't have the barricades the whole length of 33, if there is enough of a danger to have them on the straightaways near Snydersville then there is clearly enough of a danger to have them the rest of the way.

as for why this happened, I'm sure speed will be the primary factor. Will the drive say a car cut him off? not sure, possibly. does that make any difference? no pretty sure this happened further up from the Saylorsburg exit on the straight aways, not right at the exit but I could be wrong.

either way this is ANOTHER accident and ANOTHER fatality that could have been easily prevented had PennDot put in the barricades instead of taking the easy route and putting in guardrails. There have already been 2 accidents with fatals in this same spot this year from large trucks going through the "guard rail". You would think they would have learned their lesson the first time, guess not
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northampton County)

yeah, there is no reason they don't have the barricades the whole length of 33, if there is enough of a danger to have them on the straightaways near Snydersville then there is clearly enough of a danger to have them the rest of the way.

as for why this happened, I'm sure speed will be the primary factor. Will the drive say a car cut him off? not sure, possibly. does that make any difference? no pretty sure this happened further up from the Saylorsburg exit on the straight aways, not right at the exit but I could be wrong.

either way this is ANOTHER accident and ANOTHER fatality that could have been easily prevented had PennDot put in the barricades instead of taking the easy route and putting in guardrails. There have already been 2 accidents with fatals in this same spot this year from large trucks going through the "guard rail". You would think they would have learned their lesson the first time, guess not
    It happened just before the northern Wind Gap exit, right near the last curve before the exit. This area got new guiderail last year, and it gets hit every couple of months and barely deflects cars. The whole situation is a shame, even more so because it should have been prevented.

ETA: Apparently, my Google Map didn't show up. 40.865595,-75.296309
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Monroe County)

It happened just before the northern Wind Gap exit, right near the last curve before the exit. This area got new guiderail last year, and it gets hit every couple of months and barely deflects cars. The whole situation is a shame, even more so because it should have been prevented.

ETA: Apparently, my Google Map didn't show up. 40.865595,-75.296309
    wow why did they close the road at 209 then? should have closed it at Saylorsburg. would have screwed my commute up way less!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northampton County)

wow why did they close the road at 209 then? should have closed it at Saylorsburg. would have screwed my commute up way less!
    This is pure speculation, but probably to relieve traffic on 33 so that it did not back up to 80. By 7:45AM, traffic was already backed up to the 209 (Lehighton) exit.

(Monroe County)

This is pure speculation, but probably to relieve traffic on 33 so that it did not back up to 80. By 7:45AM, traffic was already backed up to the 209 (Lehighton) exit.
    yeah didn't do any good on the back roads :P at 8:20 when I went through traffic went from 33S exit in WINDGAP to Miexiell Valley Road (almost Rt 209 at the diner). they basically cleared off 2 lanes of rt 33 and put it all on a 2 lane back road with 1 stop light... backup was miles... it was a mess

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast