Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default saw my first coyote this am

Took my english mastiff out about 7 this morning he likes to do his business where our yard meets my woods(have 7 acres about 2 is wooded) a pretty big and not mangy coyote ran from the neighbors treeline that borders our property and cut into my woods along the deer path>startled both me and the mastiff. i walked my youngest daughter down to the bus stop about 8 and on my way back i went thru the woods where i archery hunt. Found a fresh mutilated pheasant and a cat looks a few days to a week old(not mine)along the creek. My wifes worried (me too) because we have quite a few outside animals chickens horses goat and a bunch of outside cats. looks like im going archery for coyotes tonight not sure if they eat old kills or not but im going to set up in a tree near them in case.Unfortunately with the way my property and the others around me are im not comfortable using a rifle so im limited with my firepower.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: saw my first coyote this am

I have relatives that live in your area near Jim Thorpe. They have never seen any coyotes in that area in over 20 years, but there are lots of huge black bears there even in the middle of the housing developments.

A couple years ago I was hiking at some waterfalls near there, GlenOkonoko (sp?) and I found what looked to be either fresh coyote or dog kill remains.

Then I saw the largest bear I have ever personally encountered in the woods, at least 625-700 pounds, a little too close for comfort. I'm guessing it was his kill, so I got the hell out of there. On my hike back down I definitely saw a smaller coyote drinking water, very mangy. So I know they are there. Lots of rattlesnakes too.

I was carrying a Makarov 9x18 at the time, and I felt stupid and paranoid as if it may as well have been a BB gun.

There are many coyotes here in my region., rarely see them, but the evidence is constant and overwhelming on/near our property.

Yes, they love to eat cats. Not long ago, one early morning I saw 2 of my Springer Spaniels batting around and playing with what I thought was one of their toy balls. It was a cat head! There was also a slaughtered rabbit nearby, and a lot of feather/bones filled skat. They usually seem to stay near the perimeter of your property if you have multiple dogs that 'mark' their territory, but are sometimes a little more bold.

Do you own a crossbow?
    Last edited by Irwin Inhabitant; November 21st, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Monroe County)

Lots of coyote activity in the northern border of monroe and carbon county. They kill alot of deer and it's been a problem in recent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chevy2ss View Post
    Took my english mastiff out about 7 this morning he likes to do his business where our yard meets my woods(have 7 acres about 2 is wooded) a pretty big and not mangy coyote ran from the neighbors treeline that borders our property and cut into my woods along the deer path>startled both me and the mastiff. i walked my youngest daughter down to the bus stop about 8 and on my way back i went thru the woods where i archery hunt. Found a fresh mutilated pheasant and a cat looks a few days to a week old(not mine)along the creek. My wifes worried (me too) because we have quite a few outside animals chickens horses goat and a bunch of outside cats. looks like im going archery for coyotes tonight not sure if they eat old kills or not but im going to set up in a tree near them in case.Unfortunately with the way my property and the others around me are im not comfortable using a rifle so im limited with my firepower.
    Why not use a shotgun with HEVI-Shot® Dead Coyote!®?

Talked to the guy who owns the field that borders my property on the back side and he said hes seen a few around including the big one ive seen. Said its very hit or miss no rhyme or reason for when it comes . He also said its pretty bold and not easily scared off like the others hes seen.great just what i need lol
    im going t have to look into that shotgun ammo. be a good excuse to buy a shotgun since i dont have one

(York County)

Amazing photo- footage of Coyotes killing amature Buck.

Long, slow, constant harrasment until it's too weak to flee.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ji...82&rid=3414163

Now, look at this guy, he didn't even know it, but, he was being constantly picked at by the coyote as well.

http://youtu.be/NqVE9qfg7yI
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    Amazing photo- footage of Coyotes killing amature Buck.

Long, slow, constant harrasment until it's too weak to flee.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ji...82&rid=3414163

Now, look at this guy, he didn't even know it, but, he was being constantly picked at by the coyote as well.

http://youtu.be/NqVE9qfg7yI
    The video with that guy is wild! I have a new respect for coyote now! They are magnificent animals! I sure would not want them around my house though!!

Both of those links are crazy. No luck this am before work if i can gonna try and go back in tonight.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by chevy2ss View Post
    Regarding your animals I have heard of people getting donkeys to ward of coyotes and the such. I dont know how true it is. An old farmer I used to work with told me he had a problem with coyotes and feral dogs and got th donkeys and never had a problem again.