Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dick's wouldn't sell me ammo

Unless I am mistaken, is it not true that NJ law has absolutely no relevance or application to people who are in Pa!?

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I called this store, on Monday and spoke with the manager on duty and a person in the hunting department and was told this was the policy.

I then called the Easton, PA store where I tell my students who I am teaching firearms classes to stop anf buy ammo on the way to the range, to see if this was a corporate policy change. They told me as long as the individual meets the requirements of the laws of the U.S. and Pennsylvania they can buy ammo no matter where they live.

Tuesday I called back to the Oxford Valley store to speak with the store's General Manager, who was not there when I called on Monday. They connected me not to the General Manager but the District Manager who just happened to be at the store.

I spoke to him about the issue, and informed him that only he laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States apply to the purchase of ammunition in Pennsylvania. I emphasized that New Jersey does not have the authority to apply their laws to the soverign territory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, even for its own citizens, and that only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce. I gave the example of fireworks being illegal to be possessed by Pennsylvania residents in Pennsylvania and by New Jersey residents in New Jersey, but New Jersey residents can buy fireworks in Pennsylvania becasue interstate commerce is a function of the federal governemnt.

The District Manager said that he would address my question with corporate and get back to me

I just got off the phone with the District Manager and he informed me that the issue has been resolved and memo has been sent to all the stores in his region. According to the District Manager they will be following the laws of the state the store is in and the federal laws only. This means if you are asked for ID to purchase ammunition, the only disqualifying factor will be the age of the purchaser if the are under the legal age to purchase as determined by federal law or the laws of the state that the store is located in.
    Excellent---you did a great job.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, is it not true that NJ law has absolutely no relevance or application to people who are in Pa!?
    Depends on how you interpret 'application'.

Obviously NJ statutes , in and of themselves, only have force of law within NJ's territory UNLESS there is an intervening law (ex: Federal or Pa) that potentiate them.

For example: the Federal law (18 USC 922(b)(3)(A)) requiring the imposition of the resident's state's (NJ's) statutory requirements for purchasing a longarm would essentially effect NJ requirements on an NJite purchasing a rifle/shotgun from an FFL in Pa.

As to the thread theme, there are no such intervening laws regarding ammo so NJ's requirements are moot in Pa.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    As to the thread theme, there are no such intervening laws regarding ammo so NJ's requirements are moot in Pa.
    didnt i say that long ago without using words like potentiate?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    didnt i say that long ago without using words like potentiate?
    Perspicacious opinations such as you previously promulgated command iterative avouchment.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

You aint from around here, is ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    I was at Dick's sporting goods near Oxford Valley tonight and went up to the register with a case of 12 gauge. The cashier IDed me and saw that I am from New Jersey and told me i have to provide my NJ Firearms ID in order to buy ammunition.

This is in Pennsylvania!!!!! Shouldn't I just have to be 18 to buy shotgun ammo? (I'm 28)

I know that in NJ you need to be 18 to buy shotgun/rifle ammo and 21 years old with a NJFID to buy pistol ammo, but I didn't understand why it matters what state I'm from when I'm in Pennsylvania buying Ammo.

I do have a NJFID card, but didn't have it on me at the time. I would like help writing to them on this one to try to get it changed!

I have bought ammo at this Dicks before with no problem, and also Walmart nearby, Ready aim fire, and Tanners. All just being over the age of 18! Cant understand it!
    This is my first post on here, so hello everybody.

I live in Delaware and I've bought ammo both shot shell and metallic in PA, NJ, Upstate NY, NC and SC, and have never had a problem. It might be because I come from Delaware but I have never had a problem at all.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Dick's wouldn't sell me ammo

Quote Originally Posted by kimber 22 View Post
    If you want the choke-hold on our economy to go away, support your local, small business instead.

So now large retailers have a choke hold on our economy?

What sort of economics education do you possess?

Undergrad?

What?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    So now large retailers have a choke hold on our economy?
    I know, who'da thunkit??

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I called this store, on Monday and spoke with the manager on duty and a person in the hunting department and was told this was the policy.

I then called the Easton, PA store where I tell my students who I am teaching firearms classes to stop anf buy ammo on the way to the range, to see if this was a corporate policy change. They told me as long as the individual meets the requirements of the laws of the U.S. and Pennsylvania they can buy ammo no matter where they live.

Tuesday I called back to the Oxford Valley store to speak with the store's General Manager, who was not there when I called on Monday. They connected me not to the General Manager but the District Manager who just happened to be at the store.

I spoke to him about the issue, and informed him that only he laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States apply to the purchase of ammunition in Pennsylvania. I emphasized that New Jersey does not have the authority to apply their laws to the soverign territory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, even for its own citizens, and that only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce. I gave the example of fireworks being illegal to be possessed by Pennsylvania residents in Pennsylvania and by New Jersey residents in New Jersey, but New Jersey residents can buy fireworks in Pennsylvania becasue interstate commerce is a function of the federal governemnt.

The District Manager said that he would address my question with corporate and get back to me

I just got off the phone with the District Manager and he informed me that the issue has been resolved and memo has been sent to all the stores in his region. According to the District Manager they will be following the laws of the state the store is in and the federal laws only. This means if you are asked for ID to purchase ammunition, the only disqualifying factor will be the age of the purchaser if the are under the legal age to purchase as determined by federal law or the laws of the state that the store is located in.

Thank you, Red!

Customer service never got back to me for the email I sent yet, but I spoke with the manager on duty on Monday and he told me that the store will not care what state you're from if you buy shotgun ammo, but NJ residents will still have to show Firearms Purchaser ID cards for all other ammo.

It looks like you dug deeper and found the right person to talk to, to get to the bottom of this. Thanks again!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast