Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dick's wouldn't sell me ammo

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Dick's is just playing to the pressure NJ is implementing in the name of safety. I would hope that if enough of us voice our opinion of the situation they might realize their gun&ammo business is going to be affected when we use our cash as leverage. I make sure the guy at the ammo counter who IDs me knows of my displeasure of the action. I do so nicely, it's not his policy but it's his job to follow policy. I then have to do the same to the checkout clerk who IDs me again. And so far, just once, I have spoken to the store manager. I say that we who use Dick's express our thoughts each and every time and express it to the manager. We let them know we are opposed to Dick's policy and our money will begin going to Wal-Mart, online sales and regular shops. That's my new policy.
    Truthfully with Dicks they are more useful if they have a sale it makes more sense to use a coupon at walmart like their current WWB B1G50%2nd pre black friday sale.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    I was at Dick's sporting goods near Oxford Valley tonight and went up to the register with a case of 12 gauge. The cashier IDed me and saw that I am from New Jersey and told me i have to provide my NJ Firearms ID in order to buy ammunition.

This is in Pennsylvania!!!!! Shouldn't I just have to be 18 to buy shotgun ammo? (I'm 28)
    As Yogi would say, "It's deja vu all over again". This same thing happened a couple of years ago at this store. A group of us, mostly Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association members, did a letter writing campaign to the CEO. We did receive responses in which they stated that they do not have a corporate policy for proof of residence when purchasing ammo in Pa. I guess this store manager hasn't gotten the message yet. The letter we sent is shown below.

Bill

January 31, 2010

Edward W. Stack, Chairman & CEO
    Dick’s Sporting Goods
    300 Industry Drive
    RIDC Park West
    Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Dear Mr. Stack,

It has come to my attention that Dick’s Sporting Goods stores in Eastern Pennsylvania have been enforcing New Jersey’s anti-gun laws on customers seeking to purchase handgun ammunition. Purchasers of handgun ammunition have been asked to prove their state of residence, and sales of handgun ammunition have reportedly been refused to New Jersey residents.

I regard such practices as an insult to both Pennsylvania and New Jersey residents.

Pennsylvania gun owners have fought too hard resisting draconian anti-gun laws like New Jersey’s to accept having them imposed by a retailer in Pennsylvania. What’s more, New Jersey residents purchasing handgun ammunition in Pennsylvania, for use at gun clubs or other venues in Pennsylvania, are violating no law, and refusing to sell ammunition to them because of New Jersey’s anti-freedom laws implies suspicion of criminal intent on their part. It is insulting, and it is not the appropriate role for a retailer.

It has further been alleged that local management of Dick’s Sporting Goods stores in Pennsylvania have told ammunition customers inquiring about the policy that “It’s the law.” Dick’s management or staff members who make such statements are either deliberately lying, to shift the blame for a shameful corporate policy, or are unacceptably ignorant of Pennsylvania and federal law. It also has been alleged that enforcement of the policy has been tinged by allegations of racial profiling, which would imply civil rights violations.

Please advise me as to the corporate policy of Dick’s Sporting Goods regarding
    the enforcement of extra-legal anti-gun policies in its stores, and whether such practices will cease in the immediate future; or whether I, my family, and friends should seek other, more respectful retailers in Pennsylvania for our shooting and outdoor needs.

Sincerely,

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post

"Well my beretta takes 22lr. 22lr is a pistol round not a rifle round so you can't buy it"
    This amazes me... Do people not realize what the "LR" means? Yes it can be used in a pistol... then again, so can .410 shot shells.

.22 Long Rifle people... sheesh
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    I'm an American...
    No, you're not, you're a citizen of New Jersey.

And you didn't bother quoting the important parts of what I said. It's not Dick's responsibility to make you whole again once you leave NJ. That’s your problem as long as you are a citizen of New Jersey. You wear a scarlet letter as you travel, possible legal issues, they don't need it, their business is to sell bullets to Americans. Not try to figure out what bullshit might be legally or civilly risky selling to people from NJ.

Hey, I'd be pissed, too. But you have to consider the point of view from this side of the Iron Curtain as well.

(Monroe County)

Stay in NJ. Your kind is not wanted here.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    Stay in NJ. Your kind is not wanted here.
    I hope that wasn't a mocking characterization of what I said. He sounds like the kind of guy I want to MOVE here for good and join America.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No, you're not, you're a citizen of New Jersey.
    unless there is a state law that i dont know about dicks in pennsylvania is under no obligation to enforce new jersey laws. the prohibition on selling guns across state lines if the home state does not permit it is codified in the gca 68 but there is nothing that i can recall about buying ammo or magazines in another state. you might just be prohibited from taking them home.

(Schuylkill County)

Reading this thread sure makes me glad I'm from the old Commonwealth

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post

"Well my beretta takes 22lr. 22lr is a pistol round not a rifle round so you can't buy it"
    Did you explain to this gentleman that the "lr" in .22lr stands for "long RIFLE"?
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Chester County)

if a gun manufacture makes a pistol for your favoite rifle round, it will now be restricted. end of story

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast