Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default First 1911 Kimber Super Carry Custom HD (pic added)

Good morning all! Today is like Christmas morning. I am up early and waiting patiently for the range to open so I can shoot my new Kimber! I have done a ton of research on different manufacturers,styles,sizes and even colors. Yesterday I headed up to Cabela's in hopes to actually find one of the few 1911's I narrowed it down to. I was pretty disappointed when I got there to see none of them in the case. But then a employee put a black gun back in the case. Low and behold it was a Kimber Super Carry Custom.

I knew Kimbers MSRP was and knew it was more than I wanted to spend. I have always lusted for this gun but figured I would never find one in stock anywhere. So I brought over my Pop Pop ( wife's grandpa who is an avid sportsman) and we both fell in love. After a quick call with my wife I got the go ahead. I held it,looked it over and told them to put it aside for me.

The process of buying a gun at Cabela's is ridiculous. It took me well over an hour to purchase it. They weren't overly busy either! My LGS takes about 20 minutes for the entire purchase. They had the gun listed for $1569.99 and I had a friends and family coupon that brought the price down to $1412.99.

I immediately brought it home and read the book. Disassembly was pretty simple and the cleaning went well. Then reassembly started... The slide release was a PITA and I made a newbie mistake as you might have gathered already. My new $1500 gun already has a light scratch but I am not overly worried about it. My guns are not perfect. They are all shot, carried and I know this won't be its only scratch.

I know there are a bunch of Kimber haters out there. I am hoping this is one of the good ones. I cycled a round multiple times and it did not have a problem feeding the American Eagle 230gr I purchased no matter how many rounds were in the mag. I didn't want to go cheap or over the top for my first 1911 so I felt this was a good comprimise. They did have a DW VBOB in the case but it had a stainless finish and I am partial to black guns. I figure this gives me room to move up.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to do so!
    Last edited by ScreaminSS01; November 21st, 2011 at 08:21 PM.

(Warren County)

Default Re: First 1911 Kimber Super Carry Custom HD

Congrats! Your gonna love it, just be aware that once you have one you will want too. it's an expensive addiction. Trust I'm hooked on them, gotbtwo now with a third on layaway. Post pic's and a range report when you can and thanks for sharing!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Blair County)

Man, my wife would kill me if I bought a $1500 handgun. Of course, we do have a baby on the way...

Either way, congrats on the gun, I'd love to have one. Someday I'm gonna get me a Pro Carry HD (stainless). Right now I'm debating on getting a Sig P238 for Christmas. We'll see lol.

(Lancaster County)

I planned on getting a TLE which is much cheaper but they didn't have one. Believe me, it took some negotiating but I got the deal done lol. I buy guns and keep them so she thinks I will never want another 1911. She'll be in for a rude awakening when I get another itch.
    I have remodeled almost my entire house this year and I think she wanted it reward me. We can afford it right now so she caved in. We are also trying to start a family so I might as well do it now while we can!

I took it out today to shoot its first 100 rounds. The gun is flat out accurate! I did have 2 FTL but I'm hoping it was just tight mag springs. I bought Federal 230gr this time and I'm going to try different manufacturers as well as some SD ammo after the break in period. I only got to shoot at 25 yards because the range was packed. I managed to stay on paper on the 7 or 8" shoot and see targets I was using. I wouldn't consider myself a great shooter but this gun made me look like an experienced 1911 shooter. Recoil was pretty tame surprisingly.

I definitely need practice reassembling a 1911. That slide release can be a real PITA!

I can't wait to see the picture, is it that Grey finish Carry with the laser sights built in the grips. That is an awesome piece!!! I looked at one of those waiting for my Series E 1911 S&W, man that Kimber was nice.

I have one of the older custom IIs Kimbers I really like it, not as fancy as your but all features a shooter would need.

(Chester County)

*facepalm* Are you kidding me? I see this fantastic thread title. I click the link and... no pictures?! Shazbot! :P
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: First 1911 Kimber Super Carry Custom HD (pic added)

Here is a few pics. The knife is a Emerson CQC10. I apologize for the lack of picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Man, my wife would kill me if I bought a $1500 handgun. Of course, we do have a baby on the way...
    If I had a Publishers Clearing House check on the way, my wife would still kill me. She doesn't understand the concept of a $1500 pistol.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lehigh County)

Why do I feel like the only one who doesn't have a Kimber?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Why do I feel like the only one who doesn't have a Kimber?
    Don't worry your not the only one, I regretfully still don't own any 1911s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast