Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default I wish I understood why

So many seem to think their first handgun must be their first choice defense pistol.

I could understand that if it were to be that one purchase would be the only pistol you'll own forever!

If the purpose of your first handgun is to be used to learn basic pistol marksmanship and safe handling, there is no pistol better suited than a .22 long rifle autoloader. In this instance any of the better known models made by any of the better manufacturers.

Everything you learn to develop skill with the .22 is transferable to any other handgun. Everything from aligning the sights to zeroing and everything in between. Plus the cost of rimfire ammo is dirt cheap compared to centerfire. You cannot even reload as cheaply as you can buy .22 LR! On top of that, your .22 will last your lifetime and probably that of your kids and grandkids also with an appropriate level of care. You'll never outgrow it!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Butler County)

Default Re: I wish I understood why

I think it is because no one wants to admit that they will need to buy multiple handguns to suite their multiple purposes. Everyone is searching for a single solution that does not really exist.

(Lycoming County)

Brick:

A .22 LR for your first handgun is a great choice.

Easy to shoot and cheap to feed.

My advice is look used (does not mean you have to buy used if there is nothing there.)

There are a lot of great used firearms out there that makes it even cheaper to afford.

Visit several different gun shops to see what is out there.

Common sense would say some place big like Gander Mtn or Dick's would have the best prices because they can buy in bulk but they never are cheaper.

I go to Gander Mtn to see what I like and then I go to my local gun shop to buy or order it.

Let the people on the forum here guide you as to what may be good quality verse what may be a lower quality firearm.

The only other caliber to consider is the 9mm.

There are so many choices in the 9 in semi-auto.

There are not a lot of .22 LR semi-auto choices out there.

This would be my advice to a new shooter.

God bless!!

PPP
    Last edited by Pistol Packin Preacher; November 19th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(York County)

+1 I realized this a few years ago when I bought a GSG-5 and it dawned on me that I could get hours of trigger time with a .22 for the same price as 15 minutes with a centerfire handgun. Even though I have a huge collection of milsurps, I now almost exclusively shoot .22 rifles and pistols.

I would also add, that most people think that your first handgun should be their favorite handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    So many seem to think their first handgun must be their first choice defense pistol.

I could understand that if it were to be that one purchase would be the only pistol you'll own forever!

If the purpose of your first handgun is to be used to learn basic pistol marksmanship and safe handling, there is no pistol better suited than a .22 long rifle autoloader. In this instance any of the better known models made by any of the better manufacturers.

Everything you learn to develop skill with the .22 is transferable to any other handgun. Everything from aligning the sights to zeroing and everything in between. Plus the cost of rimfire ammo is dirt cheap compared to centerfire. You cannot even reload as cheaply as you can buy .22 LR! On top of that, your .22 will last your lifetime and probably that of your kids and grandkids also with an appropriate level of care. You'll never outgrow it!
    I don't want to practice with a gun that I'm not going to be carrying, and since I can only afford one, I bought something that I would carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    I think it is because no one wants to admit that they will need to buy multiple handguns to suite their multiple purposes. Everyone is searching for a single solution that does not really exist.
    No single solution exists, but if you can only carry one, why would you buy something you can't carry? I bought the best I could afford that would be useful for my purposes and accurate with my ability to shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    Brick:

A .22 LR for your first handgun is a great choice.

Easy to shoot and cheap to feed.

My advice is look used (does not mean you have to buy used if there is nothing there.)

There are a lot of great used firearms out there that makes it even cheaper to afford.

Visit several different gun shops to see what is out there.

Common sense would say some place big like Gander Mtn or Dick's would have the best prices because they can buy in bulk but they never are cheaper.

I go to Gander Mtn to see what I like and then I go to my local gun shop to buy or order it.

Let the people on the forum here guide you as to what may be good quality verse what may be a lower quality firearm.

God bless!!

PPP
    That's what I did. I took the advice of many here to try out different pistols and see which ones I liked. Then I answered an ad here for a used one in great condition with a great price (I compared online) and went and tested it out before buying. I haven't regretted my decision. I spent what I could afford on a gun with the qualities I needed.

Not all of us will be trading up, adding on, or changing what we carry. I look at it similar to buying a car -everyone has different needs, different budgets, and different wants.

I agree wholeheartedly! I did not choose my screen name out of a vacuum. Plinking is one of my favorite activities, and plinking with a .22 is cheap, fun, and can be appreciated by anyone from an experienced shooter to someone who has never pulled a trigger before.

PPP
    Of all the .22 handguns I own, every single one of them was purchased used, with the exception of a conversion kit for the 1911. But not a lot of choices? When was the last time you looked?

Ruger
    Smith and Wesson
    Beretta
    CZ
    Bersa
    Chiappa
    Browning
    Walther
    Taurus

These are just the ones off the top of my head. There are others out there, some current production, some not. This doesn't even take into account revolvers, which I think are just as viable as a semi auto.

ETA: I forgot. I bought a Ruger 22/45 a while ago that was brandy new. But other than that, all used.
    Last edited by PennsyPlinker; November 19th, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

God bless!!

PPP
    I don't know Padre. Take a look around and I would be willing to bet there are as many choices for a .22 LR as there are for 9mm. Almost every manufacturer makes at least one .22 LR model and usually different versions of that model. Consider if you will:

Beretta: Neo in 4 variations, Cheetah Model 87 2 distinct models.

High Standard: Basic Model is the 107 but there are 20 variations of it and they have brought back the Sport King and Duramatic Plinker models.

Ruger: I don't dare even look at how many versions of the Mk III there are!

Add to those such models and variants as by Smith & Wesson, Colt, Chiappa, Browning, Hammerli, Phoenix and more I can't even recall the name of now, there is something for every taste and pocketbook!

As for me, only my wife has been with me longer than my .22!

Ruger: I don't dare even look at how many versions of the Mk III there are!
    Not to mention the Mk I, Mk II, and Chargers out there!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    I don't want to practice with a gun that I'm not going to be carrying, and since I can only afford one, I bought something that I would carry.
    Then you are an exception and your handgun purchase was strictly for the purpose of self-defense only. So you probably made a wise choice since you are strictly a defensive carrier as compared to a recreational shooter who also carries defensively.

(Montgomery County)

I'm buying my first handgun now ( in the process of picking one). I haven't considered a .22 simply because I know how to shoot, and am not looking for something to shoot recreationally. I want the first gun I buy to be for defense and CC.

With that said, my second handgun could very well be one for pure recreation. I think a .22 might be perfect for that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast