Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default appearances vary

so driving and thinking.

how many of you would judge a person by appearance?, we all do, i damn sure do most of the time but is it right no its not.

now put open carry into the mix.

so lets say you have someone not so clean cut, rough gangsta looking type open carrying in a holster?, how many of us would jump the gun and start assuming he's a bad guy?

what about the gothic type people, always dressed in black sitting in starbucks drinking an expresso with his weapon holstered on his hip

what about the typical hood looking type, fitted baseball cap on backwards, wife beater & jeans with a pair of timberlands on open carrying his firearm on his hip?

keep in mind every single one of these types of individuals are legally allowed to open firearms and all carry valid ltcf's.

does open carry consist of a certain type of look so to say?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: appearances vary

Yes, appearances do matter, but I think overall the appearance of an openly carried gun makes me think the person is not a criminal. Same with concealed weapons you glimpse that are holstered.

The only times I remember being suspicious is when I could see a loose handgun in the outside pocket of a jacket. Just seems out of place that way...like if the person had concerns about handling the weapon properly in the first place, they'd have it secured in a holster.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    so driving and thinking.

how many of you would judge a person by appearance?, we all do, i damn sure do most of the time but is it right no its not.

now put open carry into the mix.

so lets say you have someone not so clean cut, rough gangsta looking type open carrying in a holster?, how many of us would jump the gun and start assuming he's a bad guy?

what about the gothic type people, always dressed in black sitting in starbucks drinking an expresso with his weapon holstered on his hip

what about the typical hood looking type, fitted baseball cap on backwards, wife beater & jeans with a pair of timberlands on open carrying his firearm on his hip?

keep in mind every single one of these types of individuals are legally allowed to open firearms and all carry valid ltcf's.

does open carry consist of a certain type of look so to say?
    Actions speak louder than words, as long as the gun stays holstered and they're not threatening anyone (verbally or otherwise), more power to them.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Franklin County)

IMO, behavior as a whole is an important indicator, whether or not someone is carrying a firearm. Certain factors in combination may lead me to heighten my alert level, but I certainly wouldn't summon any official authority because of what someone was wearing - firearm or otherwise.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Once you accept the premise that grandma can put you down as fast as someone who fits "the description", appearances become less meaningful. The last gun I had pulled on me was by a man in his 80's with alzheimer's. Hardly a rough gangsta.

When I see someone open carrying (or carrying concealed poorly) I simply note the presence of a firearm and that information gets added to the ongoing assessment of the person and overall situation.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    The last gun I had pulled on me was by a man in his 80's with alzheimer's. Hardly a rough gangsta.
    sidebar: what in the hell did u do to grandpa man?
    Last edited by 350CI; November 19th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

and i certainly agree w/ all of you but we may also feel this way because we understand guns and aren't scared of them but to those who don't know any better what do you think happens?

gothic or young black man w/ the typical hood wear walking into a store openly carrying a firearm vs someone clean cut, jeans, loafers, button down all 3 oc'ing who do you think is the most scariest in that situation?

(Lawrence County)

I think it's less the person's clothing and more how they carry the gun and themselves for me. That tells me a little more about what they understand about firearms and what they're intentions may be more than their clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    The last gun I had pulled on me was by a man in his 80's with alzheimer's. Hardly a rough gangsta.
    sidebar: what in the hell did u do to grandpa man?
    Just so I keep it brief (I don't want to jack your thread), nothing, he simply got confused and presented a cocked and locked 1911 from a hidden spot. Fortunately I was able to convince him to put it down. PM me sometime if you want the long version.

The whole "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet" thing rings true. This thread is about certain appearances leading to an increased perception of a threat. More important is not to allow other appearances to cause you to drop your guard.
    Last edited by vicious; November 19th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.

(Berks County)

Considering my own appearance: normally dressed in black pants, tshirt (half the time black), black button down denim shirt (open), black steel toed boots, long hair, unshaven and very scruffy, I don't judge based on looks. I look rough, when I carry its OC, if the gun on my hip scares someone oh well since my appearance without a gun has had the police called on me.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast