Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fired a Sig P238 tonight

And all I can say is, WOW.

I guess I had been a little bit skepticle just from all the negative internet press and Sigs poor reputation for QC in the last couple years. Now, dont get me wrong here. Of course there are ones that are good and run well right out of the factory. The later is probably more often than not, the case with these little Mustang copies. The one I fired tonight was no exception.

I'm guessing there were probably around 250 rounds put through this little beauty. Around 50 of them were by me. In all there were 5 guys who fired it and I heard no one mention a failure of any kind. I was impressed by that considering the 238s reputation, the # of shooters who fired it, different types of grips, break in factor, and 2 of the shooters were fairly new. I believe one of them had never even fired a pistol. Let me also mention that this was a brand new, un-fired weapon too.

I had the LCP with me and I didnt even wanna shoot it after firing the 238. Honestly. The 238 smokes the LCP in every aspect except for price as far as I am conserned and, rightly so. For more than double the price of an LCP, it better be friggin nice, right. The trigger was awesome, recoil impulse was hardly noticed compared to an LCP, the dlide was fairly easy to rack, and it has 3 dot sights that were nice. Its deffinately a little bigger than the LCP which helps alot as far as getting a good grip on the weapon. Another feature I liked was the safety. Very positive on/off clicks. Being able to ride the safety with my thumb was also nice. Contributing to comfort and a good firing grip as opposed to the LCP. What more can I say but WOW. Anybody wanna trade me their 238 for my LCP and $250

I think 1911 guys would love this gun as a backup out of sheer comonality between the two platforms. Or anyone looking for a BUG whose got around $700 to spend. Do I want one now? Hell yeah. Would I shell out that kinda coin for one? Most likely. Although, no time soon as I've got other weapons higher up the list right now but, its up there.

Good job Sig, you just turned a skeptic into a believer tonight.
    and to the dust you shall return

Default Re: Fired a Sig P238 tonight

What kind of price were you seeing? $700 is an obscenely high price for a P238.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    What kind of price were you seeing? $700 is an obscenely high price for a P238.
    Sorry, it was a rough ballpark figure. Throw in a holster and a box or two of ammo and, cha-ching, $700
    and to the dust you shall return

(Cumberland County)

The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Chester County)

Do you think it was a case of comparing the SIG's single-action trigger pull vs. the LCP's double-action pull? I rented a SIG P232 one time (another SIG .380 pistol), and loved the single-action from the 2nd shot onward- that made it really really accurate. Loved the 2 dot rear - 1 dot front sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    Do you think it was a case of comparing the SIG's single-action trigger pull vs. the LCP's double-action pull? I rented a SIG P232 one time (another SIG .380 pistol), and loved the single-action from the 2nd shot onward- that made it really really accurate. Loved the 2 dot rear - 1 dot front sights.
    While I've not fired a P238, one thing that I noticed when I played around with one is that it feels very solid. I think that it's because of the metal frame... I'm not one to bash plastic pistols, but when you're talking about tiny guns like the current crop of .380's, they just feel so much more "positive" when it has a metal frame.

I also think you're on to something about the trigger pull as well. But not only because it's single action... I think the fact that it has real and substantial hammer instead of a striker or a tiny flat excuse for a hammer. You get a crisp break and a solid *snap* when it falls instead of a squishy pull and a springy *twang*.

(York County)

The P238 really does feel like shooting a 1911, just smaller. My wife needed cc gun, and she really like the P238 so I bought one for her birthday in Oct. I never thought a .380 would be a pleasure to shoot, but this gun is a lot of fun.

Here's a pic of my wife's P238 next to my Kimber Warrior with rosewood grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Tioga County)

A friend has a P238 and after firing it on several occasions it is now on the top of the Buy list.

--Phil

I shot a P238 earlier this year and loved it. If it came with an ambi safety standard instead of having to shell out $200 for an aftermarket, I'd consider buying one.

(Berks County)

A girlfriend of mine just bought one as her first gun. She really likes it. We shot that along with the LCP and Bodyguard the other weekend.

P238: I love the feel, and I'm a Glock guy. All steel gun, SA trigger, great 3 dot night sights! Slide runs so much smoother than the others. It's really an easy, enjoyable gun to shoot and I'd say great for a first timer. At $530, a little pricey but worth it if you only own 1 or 2 guns.

LCP: My wife's which I borrow A LOT. Smaller, less weight than the P238. Sights are almost non-existent. DA trigger is a pain, but no safety to mess with. No one had issues shooting it, but it does have some bite. It's priced reasonable around $280. Reliable piece.

Bodyguard: Girlfriend's husband's which he carries daily. Had a built in laser, which only showed me how unsteady I was so I stopped using it! Comparable to the LCP, but the trigger pull is inconsistent. First bit is quite hard, then a bit easier for rest of pull. Not sure on the price, but I think $100 more than the LCP, especially with the laser.

My choice is the LCP for carry. Low price, light, slim, no frills workhorse. If I didn't have a full-size to carry, I'd get a P238.

The P238 did inspire me to repair the 1911 style FI Industries (IverJohnson Pony) .380 I have. That will be my range 380 to shoot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast