Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Tips on hunting fall turkeys?

Hey everyone, after yet another unsuccessful fall turkey season I am wondering if im doing something wrong. I usually go out at around 7 or so in the morning (which I think may be my problem) and try to use a crow and/or owl call to locate some birds, when none gobble I then go and find a nice spot to set up next to a plowed field (I hunt on quite a large farm, I set up a yard or two into the wood line to conceal myself) and hope some birds decide to wander my way. After doing a lot of research on fall turkeys I know that they dont respond well to calls, so I mostly rely on finding a likely spot to set up in which they would (should) be usually found. Is there any advice or constructive criticism someone can give me so hopefully next year I can increase my chances of harvesting a bird? Thanks a lot everyone!
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Tips on hunting fall turkeys?

first thing get out there well before 7. hopefully you scouted the area to find out if there is a flock even in the area . fall turkey is different from spring toms will usually be surrounded by hens already so hen clucks wont be as effective as in the spring mating season . i say go locate yourself a flock . if you can run towards it to scatter the birds ..... DO IT. as soon as they scatter drop to the base of a tree and begin with an assembly call. have your gun up and ready . then just wait for them to find there way back to rejoin their flock . use owl calls before sunrise im usually walking out with my buddy around 4:30am

good luck

(Philadelphia County)

(Lehigh County)

Magras is pretty much dead on. What getting in the woods early does is... lets you here the fly down cackles. The calling in the morning doesn't do much if anything. The way to find a flock is simple. Go to the highest point possible before sunlight and listen. If nothing is heard you walk until you find scratchings on the ground or you actually see turkeys, a flock of 10-20 birds will tear up a woods pretty good. This is there path. Turkeys will roost anywhere but I like the bunched up pines this time of year. So you walk in the morning and you see a flock. Look at the time you see the turkeys say it is between 7-9 am they are a hour or two from the roost so you back track there moves to find a roosting spot and sit in the evening until they circle back and roost. Magras is right run at the flock and scatter them then sit back and use a call to bring them back to you whatever tactic you want to use it's all good.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.