Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default school me on the glock 17 RTF2

looking to buy a glock 17 and I really do like how the RTF2 looks (thanks Shawn for pointing that out to me), so let me know what you guys think of the gun. This will be my first glock, however, it's not the first glock I've ever handled/shoot before.

please, no trolling the thread. I'd like to keep this discussion particularly about the glock 17. I don't want to hear about "the glock sucks, buy this or that...".
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Default Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

Basically one of the toughest, most durable, most reliable and accurate reasonably priced and most copied fighting pistol money can buy. It is probably one of the most tested and tortured (to test durability) ever made.

I own 3 different caliber of Glocks, though its not my favorite I can't take anything away from the Glock its one hell of a Fighting pistol and I like them a lot. The RTF is sorta new but its still a Glock 17 and the 9mm G19 & G17s aren't having the same problems that the other 4th Gens are having.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Basically one of the toughest, most durable, most reliable and accurate reasonably priced and most copied fighting pistol money can buy. It is probably one of the most tested and tortured (to test durability) ever made.

I own 3 different caliber of Glocks, though its not my favorite I can't take anything away from the Glock its one hell of a Fighting pistol and I like them a lot. The RTF is sorta new but its still a Glock 17 and the 9mm G19 & G17s aren't having the same problems that the other 4th Gens are having.
    so the RTF2 models are gen4 glocks? or is there more than 1 generation of glocks that also are RTF2?!

(Cumberland County)

rtf2 are gen 4. the original rtf is gen 3 and has been discontinued due to it,s aggressive grip texture that damages clothing. the texture on the rtf is sort of like velcro and grabs everything, very small and numerous pyramid shaped bumps. the rtf2 has a more rounded shape and is larger as well as less numerous type bump. the rtf also has shark gill shaped cocking serrations on the rear of the slide. the rtf2 has all the gen 4 features: backstrap add ons, recoil spring and guide, new style trigger linkage, larger mag release that is reversible for lh shooters, rtf2 grip texture.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    rtf2 are gen 4. the original rtf is gen 3 and has been discontinued due to it,s aggressive grip texture that damages clothing. the texture on the rtf is sort of like velcro and grabs everything, very small and numerous pyramid shaped bumps. the rtf2 has a more rounded shape and is larger as well as less numerous type bump. the rtf also has shark gill shaped cocking serrations on the rear of the slide. the rtf2 has all the gen 4 features: backstrap add ons, recoil spring and guide, new style trigger linkage, larger mag release that is reversible for lh shooters, rtf2 grip texture.
    thanks for that information.

has anyone seen any solid reviews on the glock 17 RTF2 whether in an article or a youtube video?

The RTF2 was discontinued,RTF 2 texture is not the same as the Gen 4 texture.

RTF2 with fish gill slide cuts

Gen 4

It was supremely grippy but people complained of it being too abrasive if carrying against the skin. The fish gill slide cuts received varying responses too. Some liked it, some loathed it.
    The newer RTF on the Gen 4 with it's "cuboids" is grippy but not harshly so.
    It feels like a firmer grip than the Gen 3 but is not so abrasive. There are other differences between the two, for example the Gen 4 has adjustable back straps, dual recoil spring and larger mag catch.
    I'm personally not a fan of the Gen 4's on account of them carving the frame cavity out to accommodate the wider diameter recoil spring. There are allegedly voids in the mold on Gen 4's which cause pieces of polymer to flake off (all in identical locations on Gen 4's I have seen in person and online, right where the larger spring on the dual spring would rub the frame).
    Glock claim all is well with this and that it does not affect the pistol in any way, the same claim is made by many shooters with thousands of rounds down the pipe, but personally I don't want a plastic pistol that flakes plastic. I got slammed for that viewpoint on Glocktalk but that matters not.
    My Gen 4 17 went and a Gen 3 17 is in its place.
    As for it's operation, flawless every time.

Also, with the Gen 4's (except G26 and G27's) there is a mass recoil spring exchange going on right now> http://www.teamglock.com/customer-se...pring-exchange
    Last edited by Chip W; November 18th, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

(Centre County)

Thumbs up Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

Personally, if you can find a Gen 3 RTF2 with the fish gills, get that. The "overly aggressive" RTF texturing can/could be sanded down to your liking and the fish gill slide is awesome and, relatively speaking, rare(ish). My opinion, of course.

I have a G17c that I bought used but unfired and has been stone cold reliable. A threaded barrel from Lone Wolf and a TLR1 later and it's the most tacticool gun I have. I don't CC it because it's a bit on the large size, but an excellent gun for whatever you need it for. And then there are the 33 round G18 mags.................
    Last edited by FLICK; November 19th, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Cumberland County)

can,t give you anything in writing but first hand experience may help. as stated by others on this thread the glock is imo one of the best overall handguns out there. it does have a perceived fault by some and that is it,s lack of a operable safety other than whats on the trigger. i personally do not find this a problem as long as you train and become familiar with the glock. i own 8 of the many variations that they have and love them all. there is a thread ongoing now on the safety aspects of the glock, you may find some useful info there to help in your decision making processes. i have found over the years that there are two thoughts on the glock , you either love it or you hate it. to each his own.

(Cumberland County)

Red face Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

oops i stand corrected, old tymers kicking in again. i got the rtf2 and rtf backwards just letting you know.

Personally, if you can find a Gen 3 RTF with the fish gills, get that. The "overly aggressive" RTF texturing can/could be sanded down to your liking and the fish gill slide is awesome and, relaively speaking, rare(ish). My opinion, of course.
    I agree they are nice guns.

Some guys have squirreled them away as collectors items though. May be more difficult to find. Auction sites like gunbroker and forum classifieds may be the best places to looks.

A regular Gen3 or even Gen 2 would serve you well also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast