Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

Neko not for nothing but how could the glock be "one of the most copied guns" if the Glock itself IS a COPY?

Remember these guns? They were made and marketed in the US 10 years before Glocks were ever even invented.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    The RTF2 was discontinued,RTF 2 texture is not the same as the Gen 4 texture.

RTF2 with fish gill slide cuts

Gen 4

It was supremely grippy but people complained of it being too abrasive if carrying against the skin. The fish gill slide cuts received varying responses too. Some liked it, some loathed it.
    The newer RTF on the Gen 4 with it's "cuboids" is grippy but not harshly so.
    It feels like a firmer grip than the Gen 3 but is not so abrasive. There are other differences between the two, for example the Gen 4 has adjustable back straps, dual recoil spring and larger mag catch.
    I'm personally not a fan of the Gen 4's on account of them carving the frame cavity out to accommodate the wider diameter recoil spring. There are allegedly voids in the mold on Gen 4's which cause pieces of polymer to flake off (all in identical locations on Gen 4's I have seen in person and online, right where the larger spring on the dual spring would rub the frame).
    Glock claim all is well with this and that it does not affect the pistol in any way, the same claim is made by many shooters with thousands of rounds down the pipe, but personally I don't want a plastic pistol that flakes plastic. I got slammed for that viewpoint on Glocktalk but that matters not.
    My Gen 4 17 went and a Gen 3 17 is in its place.
    As for it's operation, flawless every time.

Also, with the Gen 4's (except G26 and G27's) there is a mass recoil spring exchange going on right now> http://www.teamglock.com/customer-se...pring-exchange
    looking at the 2 photos, I think the Gen 4 is nicer looking and I do like that bigger mag release. Maybe I'll need to handle a gen 4 glock 17 to see how it feels in my hand.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

the only thing i find similar between the glock and the hk shown is the polymer frame. as far as i know everything else mechanical is different. i don,t think anyone here will argue the point that glock was not the first to use poly frames. but you gotta admit it was the first most widely accepted poly frame pistol.

Thumbs up Re: school me on the glock 17 RTF2

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    looking at the 2 photos, I think the Gen 4 is nicer looking and I do like that bigger mag release. Maybe I'll need to handle a gen 4 glock 17 to see how it feels in my hand.
    With the multiple back strap option the Gen 4's certainly offer the most options for a good fit. The Gen 3 is just right for me but I know a couple guys that are much happier having the option for a marginally smaller grip with the Gen 4's.
    Let us on know what you think after fondling a few.
    The Gen 3's are generally $50 cheaper but they also only come from Glock with 2 mags whereas the Gen 4's have 3 mags in the box. Though even with buying a third mag you'd still save $20 to $30 bucks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    With the multiple back strap option the Gen 4's certainly offer the most options for a good fit. The Gen 3 is just right for me but I know a couple guys that are much happier having the option for a marginally smaller grip with the Gen 4's.
    Let us on know what you think after fondling a few.
    The Gen 3's are generally $50 cheaper but they also only come from Glock with 2 mags whereas the Gen 4's have 3 mags in the box. Though even with buying a third mag you'd still save $20 to $30 bucks.
    the biggest gripe I've always had with the glock was their wide grip, so maybe the gen 4 glock 17 will help curb that for me!

the biggest gripe I've always had with the glock was their wide grip, so maybe the gen 4 glock 17 will help curb that for me!
    It doesn't reduce the width but the shorter trigger reach without one of the back straps is pretty noticeable.

(Allegheny County)

Didnt have a chance to posy here before.

The RTF2 is simply a 3rd Gen GLOCK with a Rough Texture Frame.

You really need to handle one. Some people have complained about them wearing shirts and what have you. Personally mine is carried IWB and I have yet to have it destroy a under or over shirt, or stick the shirt to the frame and print more or rub me raw on the bare stomach flesh it rubs on.

I own a 19 and 17 RTF2. They can still be found, although Im not clear on wether GLOCK is only making them for LE sales now or not at all.

heres one
    http://www.jgsales.com/glock-17-9mm-.....-p-5755.html

If you get a chance to, handle one, shoot one, a stock 17 will feel like a bar of soap compared to it.

The Gen 4 texture is not quite as grippy, but still gives more friction then the regular 3rd or 3nd gen guns. The replaceable back straps make it so you can reduce the circumphrence of the grip to a degree.
    The issue is that the 4th gen guns havent had a strong start. They changed A LOT about the design, have recalled or quietly replaced a series of recoil springs, changed the slide slightly, and now are exchanging ejectors. The 17's have had less issues than the 19's that I have seen, but still I am weary. They are not the same design GLOCK built its reputation on. Im all stocked up on 2nd and 3rd Gen's personally. But maybe in a year if the newest ones run right and we start hearing of higher round count guns going strong I'll try one out.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Didnt have a chance to posy here before.

The RTF2 is simply a 3rd Gen GLOCK with a Rough Texture Frame.

You really need to handle one. Some people have complained about them wearing shirts and what have you. Personally mine is carried IWB and I have yet to have it destroy a under or over shirt, or stick the shirt to the frame and print more or rub me raw on the bare stomach flesh it rubs on.

I own a 19 and 17 RTF2. They can still be found, although Im not clear on wether GLOCK is only making them for LE sales now or not at all.

heres one
    http://www.jgsales.com/glock-17-9mm-.....-p-5755.html

If you get a chance to, handle one, shoot one, a stock 17 will feel like a bar of soap compared to it.

The Gen 4 texture is not quite as grippy, but still gives more friction then the regular 3rd or 3nd gen guns. The replaceable back straps make it so you can reduce the circumphrence of the grip to a degree.
    The issue is that the 4th gen guns havent had a strong start. They changed A LOT about the design, have recalled or quietly replaced a series of recoil springs, changed the slide slightly, and now are exchanging ejectors. The 17's have had less issues than the 19's that I have seen, but still I am weary. They are not the same design GLOCK built its reputation on. Im all stocked up on 2nd and 3rd Gen's personally. But maybe in a year if the newest ones run right and we start hearing of higher round count guns going strong I'll try one out.
    thanks for posting and providing that link.

If anyone has a RTF2 glock 17 and would allow me to fondle it in the Philly region, I'd be a happy guy!

(Allegheny County)

thanks for posting and providing that link.

If anyone has a RTF2 glock 17 and would allow me to fondle it in the Philly region, I'd be a happy guy!
    Not sure if your near targetmaster but synergy (JimD) and d90king ( both better found on www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com ) both have some RTF2 guns. Shoot them a PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Not sure if your near targetmaster but synergy (JimD) and d90king ( both better found on www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com ) both have some RTF2 guns. Shoot them a PM.
    about 15-20 miles from where I live, I'll shoot Jim a msg to see if he'd want to meet up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast