Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Why the extra ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think you need to take a step back and think about what you wrote here. You're right, 2 center mass, 1 in the head. Now, how confident are you that you'll pull that off on a moving target under an extreme stress situation?

Funny thing about paper targets at the range, they don't really move a whole lot. Now think about all the times we've heard about the highly trained police officers shooting 60 rounds and hitting less than 10 times.
    Good points. Force on force training is a big eye-opener in this respect. As soon as both sides of the fight start moving, the shot to hit ratio takes a dump, even with highly skilled shooters.

Like I said in my earlier response, anyone who claims they can tell you exactly how many rounds it will take to stop a determined opponent is a fraud. Shoot until they stop their aggression. Training a standardized response with a specific round count (double taps, triple taps, mozambique) is a bad habit and has to be broken. Practice a non-standard response. Vary the number of rounds you put into the heart box and/or brain box on every drill. This sort of randomness will reinforce that you need to keep shooting until the threat(s) have stopped...then reassess.
    Last edited by vicious; November 23rd, 2011 at 11:23 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    Better to have it and not needing it, then to need it and not have it!!!!!
    So are lots of things.

Off of the top of my head, thing that would be good to have on your person at all times...
    Med kit
    flashlight
    leatherman
    fixed blade
    gun
    reload
    back up gun
    spare batteries for the flashlight
    flex cuffs
    pepper spray
    lock pick set
    duct tape
    cell phone
    wallet
    backup flashlight
    etc...

So, you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise we'd all run around with a rifle, plates, and enough ammo and supplies to survive civil unrest for a week.

I've moved to a fixed blade, G17, usually no reload, flashlight and that's about it. Sometimes additional fixed blades, sometimes a reload... but I don't sweat not having a reload anymore.

If I've burned through that many rounds, someone isn't using their gun anymore.

I see no problem with carrying a few reloads if folks want to, trouble is I see needing a blade or going lower profile being more of a priority. Running fixed blades and a reload can be a bit much at times. I've chosen to drop the spare mags before the blades. I will drop the gun before I drop the blades, even.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karl/PA View Post
    Extra mags are like fire extinguishers. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    So are lots of things.

Off of the top of my head, thing that would be good to have on your person at all times...
    Med kit
    flashlight
    leatherman
    fixed blade
    gun
    reload
    back up gun
    spare batteries for the flashlight
    flex cuffs
    pepper spray
    lock pick set
    duct tape
    cell phone
    wallet
    backup flashlight
    etc...

So, you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise we'd all run around with a rifle, plates, and enough ammo and supplies to survive civil unrest for a week.

I've moved to a fixed blade, G17, usually no reload, flashlight and that's about it. Sometimes additional fixed blades, sometimes a reload... but I don't sweat not having a reload anymore.

If I've burned through that many rounds, someone isn't using their gun anymore.

I see no problem with carrying a few reloads if folks want to, trouble is I see needing a blade or going lower profile being more of a priority. Running fixed blades and a reload can be a bit much at times. I've chosen to drop the spare mags before the blades. I will drop the gun before I drop the blades, even.
    Yep. Each individual is responsible for their own security. As such, it is up to each individual to conduct their own cost/benefit analysis regarding what tools they want to carry on a regular basis.

People get so anal about how 'necessary' it is to carry spare mags for some reason or another, but then neglect their security in other aspects.

Is a spare mag better? Yes, of course it is... But so is a 5-point harness and a helmet while driving your car (which you are far more likely to die in).

I don't begrudge anyone who carries any number of spare mags, to include zero. Your security is your problem, and if I were really determined to extend your life there is a good chance I would focus more on diet and exercise than 'one mag or two.'

Perspective, keep things in it.

I find a small fixed blade like a TDI carried midline on the belt leaves plenty of room for spare mags on the support side. It can also be accessed with either hand from that position

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    i firmly believe the only stupid question is the one not asked...

we do not always understand why people do what they do so when an individual such as myself has the opportunity to ask, then i do so for better understand and with such is the current case in point of which i've learned something and or a different outlook upon the said situation...

so from hence forth, i will atleast keep a spare mag in my vehicle...

thanx
    You have 4 spare tires? No? Not prepared. If you hit something in the road it may take out the wheel behind it or if it's a long piece all 4 tires.
    Everybody's level of comfort and in some cases paranoia is different. What ever feels comfortable for you is the right answer.

PS some new cars have no spare tire at all, just roadside assistance.

Personally I carry a pistol, a revolver, spare mags, speed-loaders, a bandolier, a couple knives, nunchakus and a cell phone, zombies tend to attack in large packs. JK
    Last edited by Exbiker; November 24th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    I see some people carry spare mags, sometimes 2,3+ and I can think of a reason why you need all that ammo.

Now I will not claim to be the best shot by any means but walking around with 30+ rounds I just can't understand...

So could someone enlighten me as to why someone would need more then the mag already in their firearm?
    a gun becomes useless when ammo runs dry....
    ok,maybe its a club now........

(Delaware County)

I have one spare tire in my car and I have one spare magazine on my belt.

I used to carry two spare magazines, but in time I realized that it was a bit excessive - the chances of being in a conforontation where I'd need to use my firearm are slim enough, and the chances of having to actually put my spare mag to use are even slimmer still, but the chances of having to resort to a third magazine (or the 31st round of ammunition) are improbable enough to the point of just being fucking silly.

Of course, the day my life would be spared by the thirty-first bullet is the day I'll only have a split second left to regret that particular decision, but I'll take the chance and use the slot for a flashlight instead, which I use waaaaaaay more than I would another magazine.

some interesting point of views here, i admire the diversity but as some of you have questioned my training, well i'll leave that on a strict need to know basis but i will say yes shooting a moving targets is not easy in the least bit considering the things that have to be taken into acct:

staying calm, focus, knowing when and where to fire among other things etc

now i've tired carrying a spare mag and i flat out don't like it, to much extra shit i have to walk around with and yes i'd rather keep the mag in the car but the likeliness of me having to resort to a spare 13rnd magazine is highly unlikely but to each their own, i'm not in anyway knocking anyway who wants to carry a spare everything but until i see where going to war and are in direct need to protect ourselves as a community i think i'll be fine with what i've been using these past few years...
    Last edited by 350CI; November 28th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234