Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Self-defense shooting hypothetical: any thoughts?

OK, while I never in a million years want to find myself having to deploy lethal force, as I'm sure all of us on here would agree, we all no doubt have this possibility in the back of our minds every time we holster up.
    So, that, coupled with the fact that some guy was just shot and killed blocks from where I live, (a normally very decent neighborhood in Philly that unfortunately just so happened to have this occur the other night), got me thinking .... if someone was ever involved in a self-defense shooting, especially at night, when lawyers might be hard to get a hold of, just what is it that we should be saying to the responding police officers?
    I know we're supposed to keep our talking to a minimum, but something obviously needs to be said, even if it's to simply inform the cops you're the one who is the good guy here, not the scumbag who tried to end your life.
    Any thoughts on what, if anything, should be said to the cops outside of "hi, I called this in. I felt my life was threatened and fired in self defense," PERIOD.
    J.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Self-defense shooting hypothetical: any thoughts?

Say you are having trouble breathing and request an ambulance. Say you will give a statement when you feel better.

(Allegheny County)

When I took my Utah class here in Pa., the instructor said when you phone it in, just say "There's been a shooting" give the location, request an ambulance, take your wallet out of your pocket, lay it on the ground with your ID showing. Gun on the ground-empty, of course, hands where the police can see them. Don't give them anymore than they need to get them there.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    When I took my Utah class here in Pa., the instructor said when you phone it in, just say "There's been a shooting" give the location, request an ambulance, take your wallet out of your pocket, lay it on the ground with your ID showing. Gun on the ground-empty, of course, hands where the police can see them. Don't give them anymore than they need to get them there.
    I agree with all of this.

Also, I believe that it's a wise idea for all of us - every citizen, whether they carry firearms or not - to have the phone number of a good lawyer in their cell phone or at least in their wallet. This way, should the above happen and you have an opportunity to actually speak to the police in a non-SHUTYOURFACEANDGETONTHEGROUND sort of way, you can tell them that you cannot give a statement until you call your lawyer, the number for which is (in my wallet/phone).

Or just memorize it, lol.

(Pike County)

It has been said here many times before - don't talk to the police. It can't help you.

(Bucks County)

Depending on the circumstances it might be a good idea to consider not calling at all.

In a public place with witnesses everywhere, I would call.

On my property, I would call.

In the middle of nowhere with no witnesses, maybe not.

This is not legal advice, just my opinion.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Depending on the circumstances it might be a good idea to consider not calling at all.

In a public place with witnesses everywhere, I would call.

On my property, I would call.

In the middle of nowhere with no witnesses, maybe not.

This is not legal advice, just my opinion.
    Isn't there a strong possibility of this becoming a major problem for someone down the road, though? Hypothetically, of course. Leaving a body out to rot in the sun and whatnot, someone is bound to come across it at some point, and once it gets traced back to you...

Unless, of course, you don't make the call, and instead go straight to your lawyer's office, lol.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I agree with all of this.

Also, I believe that it's a wise idea for all of us - every citizen, whether they carry firearms or not - to have the phone number of a good lawyer in their cell phone or at least in their wallet. This way, should the above happen and you have an opportunity to actually speak to the police in a non-SHUTYOURFACEANDGETONTHEGROUND sort of way, you can tell them that you cannot give a statement until you call your lawyer, the number for which is (in my wallet/phone).

Or just memorize it, lol.
    It seems to me that you should give the number to someone you trust. Then when you make your phone call that person can call the lawyer.

After the police show up you may or may not have access to your cell phone or personal affects for a while.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Isn't there a strong possibility of this becoming a major problem for someone down the road, though? Hypothetically, of course. Leaving a body out to rot in the sun and whatnot, someone is bound to come across it at some point, and once it gets traced back to you...

Unless, of course, you don't make the call, and instead go straight to your lawyer's office, lol.
    If it was a remote area with no witnesses, I would absolutely call a lawyer before calling the police. I would give him all the details and let him make the call, figuratively and literally speaking. The lawyer could handle calling the police while you wait. Or he might say to get the hell out of there and tell no one.

I'm not a lawyer but I strongly believe in practicing my 5th amendment right when possible.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but I strongly believe in practicing my 5th amendment right when possible.
    It gets murky when you have a self-defense situation on your hands, though...staying quiet and doing the right thing are not always the same action.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast