Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: flexed springs

(Bucks County)

Default flexed springs

A long-time revolver man, I bought my first auto-loader last week: a S&W M&P9C. If I keep the magazine fully loaded with one in the chamber, continuously, day after day, week after week, will that weaken any of the springs to the point that the gun may not function properly? Also, can dry firing be damaging to this gun?
    All knowledgable responses are greatly appreciated.
    Love your country - Fear your government

Default Re: flexed springs

The mag springs will be fine. Springs get weaker from cycling. Compress, de-compress. Once they "set" ( a new spring) it will retain the same strength for years, If not repeatedly cycled. I have personally shot an M1 Carbine that the mags were loaded since the late '40s, early '50s. Mag worked fine. In fact I'm still using them. Repeated loading and unloading over a period of time weakens them. Check your S&W book. Dry firing should be fine.

Default Re: flexed springs

Quote Originally Posted by 9x23 View Post
    The mag springs will be fine. Springs get weaker from cycling. Compress, de-compress. Once they "set" ( a new spring) it will retain the same strength for years, If not repeatedly cycled. I have personally shot an M1 Carbine that the mags were loaded since the late '40s, early '50s. Mag worked fine. In fact I'm still using them. Repeated loading and unloading over a period of time weakens them. Check your S&W book. Dry firing should be fine.
    Agreed. I have a few old guns that the mags work fine in and they stay loaded year 'round. The springs in the gun are designed to be used any way you want to; cocked, decocked, whatever. Mag springs, on the other hand, tend to weaken if you load and unload them, a lot. I have found that it has to be A LOT. They are easy enough to replace, anyway, should one become weak or fail. Most springs in the gun are also easy to change out. Got an Astra A-200 that has been fully loaded for over thirty two years and the mag works perfectly (I do change the ammo out or shoot it out from time to time). Recoil springs in 1911's tend to need to be change out from time to time, but I have yet to change any of mine, and one of my PT 1911's has over 6000 rounds on it. Still cycles perfectly and has yet to start having that "ramming" feeling.

As far as dry firing your pistol, refer to the OM or call the mans. CS dept. Happy shooting!
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.