Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Poly. .45 suggestions

So a buddy is looking at getting one, not me. He asked me, I gave a couple. Now I'm asking you fine folks.

Budgets around $600 but, I think there might be some lee-way for something special.

I suggested an M&P45 (I really like the M&P45c, fine weapons). He asked about the FNP45 too. I'm thinking this will be mostly range duty/HD as he has other stuff to carry so.. size doesnt apply. Its wide open

Lay it on me guys. What would you get and WHY. Hes not the type to wait around. Oh and uh, we're talkin plastic here so keep the 1911 comments to yourself.

Thanks
    and to the dust you shall return

(Pike County)

Default Re: Poly. .45 suggestions

I throw in my vote for the M&P .45. Granted I never shot one however I own an M&P 9 and put a few hundred down range with the .40. I had great experiences with both pistols and would expect the same comfort, accuracy and reliability from the. 45. When I fall into some money I will probably add an M&P .45 to my collection, along with a few 14 round magazines.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Cumberland County)

not to be a ass but there are alot of choices. the $ amount eliminates some possibilities. then again how about the one that fits him best? what features is he looking for? is the availibility of acc. important? left hand or right hand shooter?

If there is some lee way on the budget, and size doesn't matter, and it has to be plastic, then I would get an HK USP Elite (which I did because I was in the same position he is in, now). Why did I get that one? I wanted the most accurate, coolest looking, super reliable, polymer handgun on the planet. It is the only handgun I have ever paid over $1000 for and I would do it again, in a heartbeat. It is the one gun I will never sell. 12+1 capacity, lifetime warranty, super trigger, way cool mag release, ambidextrous controls, and it doesn't have the flimsy, cheap feel of the FN .45. There are a couple of places that still have them and they are going for under $900. This is not a small gun. Magazines are not cheap and there are not many aftermarket things for it. This gun needs none of it. It is ready right out of the box. I will tell you, being a trigger freak, the FN .45 trigger is super good, but the gun feels cheap and flimsy to me, and the mag release takes an act of God to actually release. The HK trigger is right there with the FN. I believe this will be one of few polymer handguns that will be collectable (the HK USP Elite). I saw a used one with a claim of only 200rds since new at a show for $700 with two spare mags. 200 rds in this gun is like taking a page out of a ten thousand page book. It is a BMF. Obviously, this is SMO.
    Last edited by harold63; November 21st, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Glock 30SF - accurate,compact and IMO, the softest shooting polymer 45.
    Last edited by prospero1919; November 15th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

(Monroe County)

FNP45, Berretta PX4, Ruger P

(Chester County)

Glock 21 SF. 13 rounds of .45 and accurate as well. I just got one last week (used) and can't believe how much I like it and how well I shot it.

I have small hands and still have no problem with the size of the gun.

They should be close to his budget.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    not to be a ass < but... but there are alot of choices.< really the $ amount eliminates some possibilities.<youre kidding then again how about the one that fits him best?< I guess we'll see once we get some suggestions and go look what features is he looking for?<poly .45 is the availibility of acc. important?<maybe left hand or right hand shooter?<does it matter, theyre all ambi these days
    Mine in red. Great reply

Its not hard guys. What would you get and why would you get it?
    Last edited by brownman; November 15th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    and to the dust you shall return

My vote would be for the FNP45. I own one and love the way it shoots. It's a solid gun overall and designed for military service. I see this thing easily outlasting me.

My father has an M&P 45 and while I like the grip and the way it puts your hand high on the gun, I like my FN more.

I've shot the H&K 45 several times. Not my cup of tea. H&K's are over priced for what you get. Yes they're accurate and reliable, but IMNSHO, they're not worth the premium. One good thing is when you sell or trade them in (like I did with my USP 40c), they hold their value and you have plenty of money to use to buy something else.

(Allegheny County)

Beretta px4 have one and its a great gun all around.
    God Guns & Guts Made America Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast