Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock Safety - Enough?

I apologize for what I'm sure is a stupid rookie question, however I'd like to gain some perspective before buying my first handgun.

I've shot handguns in the past (although its been awhile, and they've been primarily revolvers), and would like to buy one for target shooting and personal protection. After I finish a few safety courses and put enough rounds through it I plan to get my concealed carry permit.

I've shot various Glock models, and am leaning toward the 19, but have some questions about the safety on the gun. I'm basically wondering about the safety of the trigger safety function on the Glocks when using an IWB holster. Should there be any concern over the safety mechanism when reholstering? I understand the physics of an accidental discharge in this fashion makes it remote, but I just want to make sure I do my homework first. Stupid question or valid concern?

Default Re: Glock Safety - Enough?

If you use a proper holster that does not collapse without a gun in it, you will never have a problem.

Remember, there is never any rush to reholster.

One good tip regardless of what you carry, is if your cover garment is a fleece or jacket with those pull cords at the bottom that no one actually uses, cut them off.

(Allegheny County)

A Glock 19 would be a nice choice for a first gun. Do yourself a favor however.... don't skimp on the holster and get a realy nice gun belt. It will make a world of difference.

(Indiana County)

Valid concern if you do not have the right set-up.

I've carried a Glock on and off for over 20 years and still have all my body parts in place. I carried a G19 with a Gloklip for years, no holster at all, just a clip.

Just keep your booger hook off the trigger and use a good holster, not one from a gunshow bin for $6.

A Kydex IWB will not collapse, might not be the most comfortable but this type will pretty much not cause what you are worrying about to happen, neither will a good brand like Galco, Bianchi, Safariland, etc... either but the cost will be much higher.

Look at Crossbreed and Kholster holsters.

And before anyone busts your balls for it, for future reference, it's a License, not a Permit, even though we all know what it means there are some that will go all word police on you for using permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    I apologize for what I'm sure is a stupid rookie question, however I'd like to gain some perspective before buying my first handgun.

I've shot handguns in the past (although its been awhile, and they've been primarily revolvers), and would like to buy one for target shooting and personal protection. After I finish a few safety courses and put enough rounds through it I plan to get my concealed carry permit.

I've shot various Glock models, and am leaning toward the 19, but have some questions about the safety on the gun. I'm basically wondering about the safety of the trigger safety function on the Glocks when using an IWB holster. Should there be any concern over the safety mechanism when reholstering? I understand the physics of an accidental discharge in this fashion makes it remote, but I just want to make sure I do my homework first. Stupid question or valid concern?
    Lots of people shoot themselves when reholstering their glocks so much so that they came up with a nick name for it.

People say you shouldnt put your trigger finger in the trigger guard and you shouldnt....but people still do it. Enough that they came up with a nickname.

A pistol with an external hammer is a lot more user friendly because you can use your thumb to manually prevent the hammer from cycling while reholstering, thereby rendering the weapon inert, whether your finger is on the trigger or not. A DA design that has room to put your finger behind the trigger will also greatly reduce the chance of this sort of thing happening.

As far as carrying a Glock with a pocket clip, not me. No way, not ever. (For the record, I am a former Glock 19 owner)
    Last edited by Valorius; November 15th, 2011 at 02:20 AM.

There is a name for it: user error. Alternately, incompetence. Has nothing to do with the gun.

(Montgomery County)

I appreciate the insight from everyone. The answers are exactly as I hoped they would be. I have a great deal of respect for the power of a weapon and understand the risks of user error. In my mind, handling a weapon in a safe fashion all the time (whether loaded or unloaded), and making those behaviors a habit are a part of being a gun owner. It sounds to me like if I do that, the Glock will require very little adjustment to the way I handle the weapon.

Thank you to everyone that answered.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Glock Safety - Enough?

i have said it here before and i will repeat it. the most important safety is between your ears. proper training, practice and quality gear also play a part. i have carried glocks since 86 without any issues. as far as handguns with hammers, hmmmmm i have heard of many nd,s because somebody,s thumb slipped lowering the damn things. understand your weapon,s functions and your own abilities and you,ll be fine with the 19. welcome to the wild wonderful world of glock in advance, a good choice by any measure. red dog

(Montgomery County)

Also, thank you for the holster recommendations. They are greatly appreciated. I'll make sure to do plenty of research, starting with those recommended above.

(Columbia County)

Hey Shadowline. Good choice in looking at Glock. They are great pistols. My EDC is a Glock 19. I know someone has already said this but I'd like to reitterate to please please please NOT rush when reholstering. Even with a great holster, if you rush to holster you can get a piece of clothing in their, debris, etc and have a negligent discharge. You are only reholstering when there is no more threat present so take your time and by all means look when reholstering (that hollywood crap will have you shooting your own butt).

My recommendation for a great and very affordable holster is www.shieldedholsters.com . Kurtis makes amazing holsters. I have used mine for over a year straight EDC and it looks brand new. Great customer service as well.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast