Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock Safety - Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Genin View Post
    Hey Shadowline. Good choice in looking at Glock. They are great pistols. My EDC is a Glock 19. I know someone has already said this but I'd like to reitterate to please please please NOT rush when reholstering. Even with a great holster, if you rush to holster you can get a piece of clothing in their, debris, etc and have a negligent discharge. You are only reholstering when there is no more threat present so take your time and by all means look when reholstering (that hollywood crap will have you shooting your own butt).
    +1000 no matter your skill level with a glock-sweep the holster area with your off hand, visually check your holster is clear and "look" the pistol into the holster.

(Allegheny County)

Yes you need to be careful when reholstering. Things like jacket pull chords can and do get stuck in the trigger guard. You need to be mindful of this with any gun, glock or otherwise.

(Bucks County)

There is nothing more inherently dangerous about a Glock than any other gun. It will never go off unless the trigger is pulled. For one, the striker is only half-cocked in it's resting state. There is not enough energy to ignite the primer if it was somehow released. In addition, there is a firing pin block that would not even allow the firing pin to contact the primer unless the trigger is in the rear position.

I wouldn't really consider the trigger "safety" to be a safety, but the above two safeties will absolutely prevent the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled.

You could throw a glock on the ground as hard as you want, in any direction and it wont go off.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    If you use a proper holster that does not collapse without a gun in it, you will never have a problem.

Remember, there is never any rush to reholster.

One good tip regardless of what you carry, is if your cover garment is a fleece or jacket with those pull cords at the bottom that no one actually uses, cut them off.
    I disagree with the bold part. After a self-defense shooting (once the scene is safe) you want to reholster your firearm ASAP. You don't want to be seen holding a gun right after people hear gunshots. A police officer or other armed person might think you are the bad guy and open fire on you. For this reason, it's good to have a holster that allows for easy reholstering.

But I agree that under normal conditions you should take your time reholstering to avoid a ND. Practicing reholstering should only be done with an unloaded gun.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    There is a name for it: user error. Alternately, incompetence. Has nothing to do with the gun.
    Funny how glock users seem to suffer from user error so often.

It's not called Sig Leg, or HK leg.

They call it Glock Leg, for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    i have said it here before and i will repeat it. the most important safety is between your ears.
    It's also the safety that fails the most often.

Show me a person that has never made a serious mistake, and i will address him as Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    Yes you need to be careful when reholstering. Things like jacket pull chords can and do get stuck in the trigger guard. You need to be mindful of this with any gun, glock or otherwise.
    Simply not true.

Any pistol with an external hammer can be rendered completely inert upon reholstering with the simple act of using your thumb to block the hammers movement. This is simply impossible on an internal striker fired weapon. This is not a point of debate, it is a matter of fact.
    Last edited by Valorius; November 15th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Show me a person that has never made a serious mistake, and i will address him as Jesus.
    I've never shot myself, does that count?

A few months ago there was a story on this site of a 70 some year old gun store owner that shot himself with a glock.

So he had your record of not shooting himself beat probably by decades, and has probably handled more weapons than almost any of us...but one mistake...

Boom.

Glock leg.

We all make mistakes. All of us. Just because you've not yet made one with a gun doesn't mean you never will. People should be fully cognizant of the fact that it can happen to them at any time with even a momentary lapse of concentration during a time of intense stress or while exhausted or very tired.

I know gun guys are super macho, but it is very important to be honest with ourselves and realize that all of us are failable. And some designs more readily court disaster than others.

An early Porsche 911 turbo with all it's power and weight hung out over the rear axle is a perfect example of exactly such a design. And so is a Glock. Perfectly safe as long as you don't make a mistake. Make a mistake (which would be a non issue in most other cars) with a Porsche 911 turbo in a corner, and you're crashing ass end first into the wall. Make a mistake holstering a glock....boom.

An external hammer weapon is simply much more forgiving of any possible mistakes or unlucky occurances when it comes to reholstering. This is a simple fact. And so is a DAO.
    Last edited by Valorius; November 15th, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I know this will cause a lot of you to go nuts but, when it come to Glocks I always wonder about the New York trigger and the New York plus trigger, and why.

(Monroe County)

One of the questions on the Concealed Carry test is in regards to the Guns Safety. The answer is never rely on the Safety. It is for this reason that I chose not to get a pistol with an external hammer. Personally, I don't want a round in the chamber with the hammer cocked if the Safety may fail. Second, I don't want to be fiddling around with a safety if I need to shoot fast. That is why I prefer the Glock's safety in the trigger.

On the topic of a concealed carry gun, I went through the same thought process. I've owned, and still own, a Glock 17 since 1996. It feels good shooting and I like the safety features on the trigger and when it is accidentally dropped.

Then, I went through the conceal carry considerations. In short I found that the Glock would be a thick gun to carry all the time in an IWB holster. So, I went searching for a gun with similar safety features, reliability, quality, and thinner than the Glock. After much research I ended up with the Walther PPS in 9mm. Although it weighs the same as the Glock the firearm is much thinner. I didn't go with the .40 caliber for two reasons. First, it is more expensive to shoot and second the reliability tests from users suggested that it has a failure to feed sometimes. Not something I want in a carry gun. You can find some user reviews of the gun online. One user put 2,000 rds through the firearm with only one FTF, I believe. Sold me. Because of the guns smaller form factor, you do need to clean it about every 200 rds for best reliability. I don't have an issue with that..

For the holster I chose the Milt Sparks IWB Summertime 2. The waiting period for this custom made holster is about six months. I should be getting mine in January.
    Last edited by RCS; November 15th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

I've carried 1911s and a Glock 22 AIWB for a few years without a problem. Maybe you should do what I did. Rack the slide like you were chambering a round but without the mag in place, then carry with an empty chamber until you feel comfortable chambering a round.

And, of course,, reholstering reluctantly will make that action easier.

If you can afford it, some training is never a bad idea

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/dvd...bysubject.aspx

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast