Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Better AK/PSL trigger parts and tuning

I'm getting started with building a PSL and was wondering about how I can make the trigger better. One source I have said that AK and PSL triggers are essentially the same, and I've heard lots of complaints about a PSL having a lousy trigger which degrades its performance from that of an accurate mid range rifle. What can be done about this? What might be a good set of FCG parts which could yield good results, to make it have a good trigger pull? Any other tweaking that works?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Default Re: Better AK/PSL trigger parts and tuning

and to the dust you shall return

Shorting the barrel on a psl helps. Harmonics are out of wack. (this defeat the look of the psl, i dont' like this option) I did find one company with a 54R reamer.
    Indian arms in NC sell the nagat heavy barrel that can be jammed into your psl, the other guy did this.. This will keep your hot barrel in a 2 inch group at 100 yard. Its a new old stock MG barrel. It will need to be ported, and cut down some.
    Trueing up the bolt lock to make sure the bolt face is 100 percent in line with chamber, rifle bore.

Not using a barrel bipod, ( i found this out)
    Hold it using the mag.

The receiver is only 1.5m thick , Get some 4140 (.010 thicker) , bend a new one, get it dead on, dont' install rivets, but send out receiver to get heat treated, then rivet your trunions to it. , This also helps reduce bad harmonics. Feel how thin your receiver is next to a well built commie.

a 8 MM receiver, is close, but will not work. Mag fit is the issue. Either you will have to install side plates first , then thin out mag area, or just beat the mag a little thinner to make it fit in. I looked into this, I bougth those cut up M76 receiver to see if it was close.
    A 8MM and Psl are almost close, barrel is thicker on 8.
    CNC warrior has alot of people bugging him about building Milled receivers.
    If enough people get together, he will cave.
    One other option I considered was to buy a nice heavy milled receiver, cut it into 2 pieces, 2 nice trunions , then build the stamped center 4140 heavy, and weld the 2 trunions together.

The guy that rebarreled his, is still using the stamped , so the barrel is the main issue.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Northampton County)

Red Star makes a real good adjustable trigger, but you can smooth out the standard AK trigger easily enough.
    CK most any AK site and they will have pics on where to polish. I did this with my Saiga and one of my other AKs and they came out sweet.
    USAF Crewchief C-141A Starlifter '75-'79
    God is my Pilot
    '70 W-31 Olds
    Fight Crime- Shoot Back!!

(Allegheny County)

The PSL comes with a slightly long, creepy, but two stage trigger pull.

With polishing, and some attention to detail and AK/PSL trigger geometry, one can end up with a rather long, but very light and crisp trigger pull with stock PSL trigger components.

The barrel absolutely needs chopped or shots will walk all OVER the fucking place if you shoot in any kind of repeated fashion.

Mine will draw you a line. Moving a bullet's width horizontally between each shot at 50yds.

Mine is getting sent off to OST when I have some extra cash. I no longer care about ruining the look of the rifle. It's gangly long, unwieldy, heavy, and it strings shots because of the stupid barrel.

However, it's semi auto, as close to a drag as I'll ever get, and it IS accurate when fired slowly with ammunition from a batch it prefers. And I definitely think it's worth the time and effort it takes to clean them up and get them right.

The OST linked in my post?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    The OST linked in my post?
    Um, durr ... I meant rifle dynamics.

I'm retarded. Been thinking of sending a Glock to OST. That whole red dot on a pistol thing gets me Hawt.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; January 4th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Um, durr ... I meant rifle dynamics.

I'm retarded. Been thinking of sending a Glock to OST. That whole red dot on a pistol thing gets me Hawt.
    Awesome, RD is one of the best. I'm sure youll be happy. Did you see the AK's OST/TSD is now offering. Might be worth contacting them too. Look to be really high end qaulity rifles. I think RD's backlog is like 6-8mths. The days of your junk, 3-400$, inaccurate, keyholin, poor finish havin, blasters are on their way out.

Some people are doing amazing things with AK type rifles lately. Thanks to huge interest by the American public and new companies, shops, gunsmiths and ideas springing up in response to that interest.

Theres guys hittin steel at 5,6,700yds without much difficulty with some these higher end, semi-custom rifles. AK's are inaccurate, not anymore. Dont believe the hype.

Shoot'em Up
    Last edited by brownman; January 5th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post

Theres guys hittin steel at 5,6,700yds without much difficulty with some these higher end, semi-custom rifles. AK's are inaccurate, not anymore. Dont believe the hype.

Shoot'em Up
    Agreed, even run of the mill ak's are fully capable of 300 and 400 yd minute of person size target with proper zeroing and proper marksmanship skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Been thinking of sending a Glock to OST. That whole red dot on a pistol thing gets me Hawt.
    Speaking of /\, i got to run a couple mags through a TSD RMR slide G17 a couple months back. Pretty freakin cool. It was a little weird finding and tracking the dot at first but, something you could get used to with practice. The owner was dingin steel at 100 just about every 2 outta 3 shots, off hand, no rest. Pretty sweet

Sorry, made me think of it. Back to the regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by brownman; January 5th, 2012 at 03:23 AM.