Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default 10mm/.40 S&W Revolver

Does anyone have one/seen one of these Revolvers from Smith & Wesson Model 610? I am looking for opinions on this or any other 10mm/.40 S&W revolvers. Are there others?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...t_category_rn=

Overview:
    Smith & Wesson's large frame revolvers are the first choice for handgun hunters and competitive shooters.

Other Features:
    Uses Moon Clips
    Will Shoot .40S&W

Technical Specs:
    SKU: 150277
    Model: 610
    Caliber: 10mm
    Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 3 7/8"
    Front Sight: Black Blade Interchangeable
    Rear Sight: Adjustable White Outline
    Overall Length: 9 1/2"
    Weight: 42.5 oz.
    Grip: Rubber
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Finish: Satin Stainless

(Chester County)

Default Re: 10mm/.40 S&W Revolver

I owned a 610-2 with a 3 7/8" barrel. Good guns; they've recently been reissued by S&W. Fast to reload, they'll take the hottest loads you can make in 10mm, and they're typically very accurate with 10mm. I liked it a lot, but it's built on an N Frame, which made it big and heavy, and ammo was expensive.

I sold mine for a couple hundred more than I paid for it, because it was pre-lock and they weren't making anymore at the time.

S&W also, very briefly, made the Model 646, which was a 6 shot .40 S&W only, L Frame, which used a titanium cylinder. Really a cool idea, but they had a ton of problems for some reason -- they also made a 646 PC version from the custom shop. Quite honestly, even though I don't need one, and I don't care for .40, I'd buy one in a second if I saw it in a shop. Simply too cool to pass up.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; January 24th, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: *&((*#$@ typos.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 10mm/.40 S&W Revolver

The 610 revolver is the only 10mm S&W. It has been around for quite some time and has been in and out of production. There were 6 differn't configurations released over the years before the two current versions were issued. I have fired the unfluted 4" -3 and the unfluted 6 1/2" -2 "classic" edition.

I really like the gun but I am a bit of a 10mm addict. The revolvers are accurate and have moderate recoil. They have become somewhat collectable which was driveing the prices up. I'm sure that had something to do with S&W reintroducing the model again.

Ruger made a 10mm convertable years ago. It was a blackhawk made for Buckeye firearms and it fired 10mm or 38-40, (two cylinders). Because it headspaced off the case rim you can't shoot .40 S&W from it. (It doesn't use moon clips).

Taurus promised a 10mm revolver a couple years ago at SHOT. They subsequently backed out and never released the gun. Unless you get a custom made the 610 is pritty much your only 10mm / .40 S&W option.