Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default M1 M4 AR15 AK47 ?? Help

Ok so I don't know anything about rifles in general and Xmas is coming....I really don't want to go to a gun store if possible and start from scratch on the merits/differences etc on soo many types as generally they are pretty busy and may feel annoyed with me.

I am looking for range shooting mainly/self defense in the home.

So I figured I get pretty good info here and if you are reading this, you just may have a few minutes to explain some things about these rifles and what to look for/stay away from.

I was thinking an AR15 and read about Colts but none of the gun shops agree stating you are mainly paying extra for the name (plus they dont have one...) and want to sell me other brands which is ok but why not colt included in the running.

Anyways if you can give some simplistic explanations of the differences that may give me a start...on what to suggest to the hubby for xmas !! (well I can wish...)

Default Re: M1 M4 AR15 AK47 ?? Help

I have no idea where to start.

My answer is TOTALLY IMHO! So flame suit on....

Your requirements for a range gun/ home defense is a tough one. The rifles you mentioned work great on range (obviously) but are not the "best" for home defense.

In a home defense situation you would want something that does not have too much power. Reason is because you dont want overpenetration. This means you dont want to shoot a high powered rifle ( all rifles you mentioned) in your home because the rounds may go through walls and hit something you dont intend to destroy. Thus shotguns and handguns are reccomended.

As far as christmas presents are concerned, any of thoes rifles would be great! It just comes down to how much you want to spend on the rifle and how much you are willing to spend on ammo.

If you can narrow down your question more, maybe I can be of more assistance.

PS as always, please be familiar with what you are getting into. These are high powered rifles and can be very dangerous and deadly under inexperienced hands. Maybe the best Christmas present would be a training course for basic/advanced weapons class.

(Indiana County)

An AR set up as a M4gery is a fine weapon for HD and using frangible bullets will cut down on overpenetration if that is a concern.

There is nothing wrong with a Colt, but as the shops told you, you are paying a premium for the name. Many fine AR type rifles are out there at less cost than a Colt.
    Buy a lesser cost AR and use the savings to buy a light/laser/optic setup that will help out in the HD function.

(Bucks County)

If you won't shoot it very much, any AR will do. If you plan on using it hard, Colt is the way to go.
    You are NOT just paying for the name. They have been making the gun since the late 1950's and have introduced many product improvements over the years.
    The gun shops are trying to sell you what they have in stock.
    5.56 is high velocity at room combat distance and the lighter bullets (especially H.P. rounds) tend to rip themselves apart after hitting construction material.
    5.56 ammo will generally penetrate far less building than 9mm ball.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    An AR set up as a M4gery is a fine weapon for HD and using frangible bullets will cut down on overpenetration if that is a concern.

There is nothing wrong with a Colt, but as the shops told you, you are paying a premium for the name. Many fine AR type rifles are out there at less cost than a Colt.
    Buy a lesser cost AR and use the savings to buy a light/laser/optic setup that will help out in the HD function.
    Frangible bullets will cut down on over penetration, but I personally would not trust that ammo to defend myself and family. I perfer 45 ACP HP for HD.

(Montgomery County)

If you are looking for an AR 15 / M4 stick with Colt. For most people any ol AR will do but for someone that will use it for HD you want the best your money can buy. Here is a link to "the chart" https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...=2&output=html there is a rather large difference between a Colt and a DPMS. Colt = good -- DPMS = bottom of the barrel .

If you don't care to invest that much money on a Colt or other top tier AR buy an AK. Just make sure that the sites aren't canted. You really can't go wrong with an AK.

Read the ammo oracle to form your own opinion about over penetration and what ammo to use. http://ammo.ar15.com/ There are also many articles out there that say 5.56 penetrates less than 9mm / 00 buck. I believe that is a lot of the reason that PD's switched from mp5's to Ar15's.

I wouldn't use an M1 Garand for HD - they are just too big / heavy a rifle to run through the house with.

Good luck. You are opening a real can of worms with this topic . I predict many pages of you are wrong - no, you are wrong arguments. Bottom line is - you need to do what you feel is best for you and yours - spend a lot of time researching the good and bad and form your own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I am looking for range shooting mainly/self defense in the home.
    I was thinking an AR15 and read about Colts but...)
    First, don't fall into the one-gun-for-all-purposes fallacy. Each gun does something a little different than all the others, and for a reason. IOW, take a gander in your toolbox. Is there more than one tool?

Each rifle you mention is very good at what it was intended to accomplish. The trick is knowing what the intent was. Without delving into the nuances of defensive ballistics, the AR will probably be slightly better for home defense if for no other reason, poorer penetration through building materials. Check out the box of truth (link) for more information on this topic. The AK might be a better first gun, since you'll be on the range practicing first. It's less expensive to buy and shoot, plus they're easy to clean. Tip: lower end AKs don't seem to hold their resale value well, so select one for reliability.

I wouldn't sweat the Colt question yet, particularly if you're wading in the shallow end of the pool. It's a topic for the purists, collectors and snobs (like myself).

Edit to add: After rading over other posts, bear in mind these are all opinions. What works best for you is your decision. Many of us are biased based on our experiences and competencies (I know I am). You'll likely be happy with any rifle you've mentioned as long as it doesn't have any teething issues.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; November 14th, 2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: additions
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

I tried playing the "AK or AR?" game. I ended up with both.

I did decide on the AR-15/M4 first due to what I felt was a more versatile platform - I bought a kit, as I couldn't afford a shelf gun. Then the following Christmas I got a WASR AK-47 at the Dunham's Black Friday sale.

I like them both for different reasons.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I really can't offer much info on why i want one of these. I just do! I have my S&W 357 revolver and similar gun in 22lr for cheaper practice. A couple of rugers for fun and an M&P 9 as i now have crossed over to learn about semis and i like this one for shooting at the range way better than my carry gun but shoot both for obvious reasons.

I just feel i would like to extend my education with another type of gun which although would not be my main defense gun, it could be in my quiver if shtf. or if Zombies attacked. (I think I read these forums too much!)

I guess bottom line - i want "well made/reliable" not bottom of the line because i would just keep looking for the same in a better version so I would like just one "good" one.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I really can't offer much info on why i want one of these. I just do! I have my S&W 357 revolver and similar gun in 22lr for cheaper practice. A couple of rugers for fun and an M&P 9 as i now have crossed over to learn about semis and i like this one for shooting at the range way better than my carry gun but shoot both for obvious reasons.

I just feel i would like to extend my education with another type of gun which although would not be my main defense gun, it could be in my quiver if shtf. or if Zombies attacked. (I think I read these forums too much!)

I guess bottom line - i want "well made/reliable" not bottom of the line because i would just keep looking for the same in a better version so I would like just one "good" one.
    Since you are a westie, you should meet up with the PMSC crew for one of their monthly shoots. I'm sure someone there would let you shoot an AR and AK. Then you could have a real feel for what you like.

As to the AR brand, I cannot tell you or anyone to settle for less than top tier. On the surface they all look the same but they get put together very differently in both quality and materials. For the extra $200 - $300 to get top tier, I think anyone would be foolish to settle. But I guess I’m just a snob like that .

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast