Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Black powder rifle conversion to pistol

Ok, so I have done some reading, and from what I can tell, it is perfectly legal to take a black powder rifle and cut the barrel down (or leave the barrel alone), cut the stock down (or leave the stock on) and turn this rifle into a single-shot black powder pistol. I have visited the ATF website, combed through the NFA, and Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide looking for clauses and the like concerning my interest, but at the same time, wanted to ask others. If anyone here has done this, or knows anything about the legality of doing this, please, enlighten me.
    The road to success is always under construction.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Black powder rifle conversion to pistol

It is legal to do because a blackpowder gun is not a firearm under the NFA or GCA.

It is also legal to take a blackpowder rifle and turn it into a modern pistol that shoots cartridge ammo. Again, the BP long gun isn't a NFA or GCA "firearm". However you must remove the stock first before changing the action/chambering of the gun into a Title I firearm pistol if the barrel length is under 16" and overall length would be under 26"(unless you get a SBR NFA stamp first).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It is legal to do because a blackpowder gun is not a firearm under the NFA or GCA.

It is also legal to take a blackpowder rifle and turn it into a modern pistol that shoots cartridge ammo. Again, the BP long gun isn't a NFA or GCA "firearm". However you must remove the stock first before changing the action/chambering of the gun into a Title I firearm pistol if the barrel length is under 16" and overall length would be under 26"(unless you get a SBR NFA stamp first).
    Couldn't that be considered a "weapon made from a rifle" by the ATF?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...-firearms.html

Sure, it wasn't considered a "firearm" but could it be considered a "rifle," while it was still a BP gun?
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 5th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Couldn't that be considered a "weapon made from a rifle" by the ATF?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...-firearms.html

Sure, it wasn't considered a "firearm" but could it be considered a "rifle," while it was still a BP gun?
    No. In it's antique form it isn't a firearm or rifle under the NFA or GCA. A "rifle" is governed by both, the NFA and GCA. So regardless as to whether it had a shoulder stock on it or not, it would not be a rifle - it is just an "antique firearm". Once the gun is built into a modern firearm, then the shoulder stock rule applies.

A fellow over at Graybeardoutdoors has a confirmation letter from the ATF on that matter. Give me a few days to dig up his post over there.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!