Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Safely Unloading a Semi-automatic Firearm

Safely Unloading Semi-automatic Firearms

Unloading a semi-automatic pistol or rifle is not difficult but the sequence of tasks must be performed in the proper order. If the shooter mistakenly pulls the pistol slide or rifle bolt first, a new round from the magazine will be inserted into the chamber and the gun will still be loaded even after the magazine is removed. The shooter who does this thinks that his firearm is now empty when in fact it is still loaded. This is a very dangerous situation and the cause of many negligent discharges.

Recently pistol manufacturers have come up with a mechanical solution for this problem which is called a “magazine disconnect safety”. It is only available on some guns. The Ruger SR9, Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito are a few examples. Any pistol which has a magazine safety will not fire if the magazine has been removed so even if the gun was not unloaded using the proper sequence it still won’t fire. This is a fine solution on the guns that have a magazine safety but what about the millions of pistols and rifles out there that don’t have it? I think the solution to this problem is the use of one of the memory aids- rhyming.

How do you teach a child to remember the alphabet? You use the “ABC’s” song. How do you remember the color sequence on a deadly coral snake? “Red on yellow kills a fellow.” These two examples use a common memory aid, rhyming, that makes the job of remembering information and proper sequences much easier. Using this technique, I have written a simple poem for unloading a semi-automatic firearm:

Drop the mag then pull the slide.
    Take a look and feel inside.
    If you unload your gun this way,
    You’ll always know that it’s OK.

Did you notice that the first letters of the first four important words are in alphabetical order?

I hope that you will use this little ditty when unloading your semi-automatic firearms. And please pass it along to your shooting friends. It just might save a few lives.

Be safe,
    Waltherguy
    Last edited by WALTHERGUY; November 13th, 2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: This is not showing on the website
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world is and remains immortal.- Albert Pines

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Safely Unloading a Semi-automatic Firearm.

Did you just read a book?
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Sorry, first thing that comes to mind:

(Allegheny County)

thanks for the update. i knew that i was doing something wrong when i kept shooting holes in my floor.

how about this

pull the slide then drop the mag
    oh my god youre a ****
    do it the other way round
    and no unsightly holes will be found.

*not that theres anything wrong with that.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    thanks for the update. i knew that i was doing something wrong when i kept shooting holes in my floor.
    You & Mr. DEA agent. So simple, even HE could understand it!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WALTHERGUY View Post
    Recently pistol manufacturers have come up with a mechanical solution for this problem which is called a “magazine disconnect safety”.
    recently? where have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by WALTHERGUY View Post
    Safely Unloading Semi-automatic Firearms

Unloading a semi-automatic pistol or rifle is not difficult but the sequence of tasks must be performed in the proper order. If the shooter mistakenly pulls the pistol slide or rifle bolt first, a new round from the magazine will be inserted into the chamber and the gun will still be loaded even after the magazine is removed. The shooter who does this thinks that his firearm is now empty when in fact it is still loaded. This is a very dangerous situation and the cause of many negligent discharges.

Recently pistol manufacturers have come up with a mechanical solution for this problem which is called a “magazine disconnect safety”. It is only available on some guns. The Ruger SR9, Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito are a few examples. Any pistol which has a magazine safety will not fire if the magazine has been removed so even if the gun was not unloaded using the proper sequence it still won’t fire. This is a fine solution on the guns that have a magazine safety but what about the millions of pistols and rifles out there that don’t have it? I think the solution to this problem is the use of one of the memory aids- rhyming.

How do you teach a child to remember the alphabet? You use the “ABC’s” song. How do you remember the color sequence on a deadly coral snake? “Red on yellow kills a fellow.” These two examples use a common memory aid, rhyming, that makes the job of remembering information and proper sequences much easier. Using this technique, I have written a simple poem for unloading a semi-automatic firearm:

Take a look and feel inside.
    If you unload your gun this way,
    You’ll always know that it’s OK.

Did you notice that the first letters of the first four important words are in alphabetical order?

I hope that you will use this little ditty when unloading your semi-automatic firearms. And please pass it along to your shooting friends. It just might save a few lives.

Be safe,
    Waltherguy
    pretty sure I is before T in the alphabet. its been a long time since i recited it but, after much review, i can say with confidence " I is indeed before T in the alphabet."

thanks though, you have rekindled many fond memory's of sitting around the fireplace with my kids singing the coral snake song, man i loved that sh*t!
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    pretty sure I is before T in the alphabet. its been a long time since i recited it but, after much review, i can say with confidence " I is indeed before T in the alphabet."

thanks though, you have rekindled many fond memory's of sitting around the fireplace with my kids singing the coral snake song, man i loved that sh*t!
    i think this is what he means.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Safely Unloading a Semi-automatic Firearm

My Mosquito does not have a mag disconnect, anymore.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Safely Unloading a Semi-automatic Firearm

I always thought the proper way to unload it was to keep pulling the trigger until it stops going bang?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast