Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp dies

(Berks County)

Default .45 acp dies

I have Rcbs dies for loading .45 acp. With 230g zero fmj bullets the bullets tend to load a bit crooked. Those short fat bullets just don't load as well as my other rounds. On my single stage press I start to seat them, And then rotate them 180 degrees and than finish seating them. This gets them pretty straight. Now I have a Hornady lock n load and I'm concerned about loading .45's. Is there any other seating dies thAt straighten the bullets out as they are seAted? Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: .45 acp dies

My RCBS .40 S&W dies came with two seating stems with different shapes to accommodate different profile bullets.

So you have a "spare" seater in your box? (edit...should say "Do you have a spare")If so it probably has a different shape hollow for the bullet nose. Swapping them may cure your problem.

Doug
    Last edited by Franchi20/28; November 12th, 2011 at 03:57 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franchi20/28 View Post
    My RCBS .40 S&W dies came with two seating stems with different shapes to accommodate different profile bullets.

So you have a "spare" seater in your box? If so it probably has a different shape hollow for the bullet nose. Swapping them may cure your problem.

Doug
    ^^^
    That's a good place to start. Does the face of the seater match the profile of your bullet? If it doesn't cradle it properly and guide it straight into the case it will cause inconsistency.

Does the bullet always lean the same amount in the same direction?
    Something may be loose, bent or crooked.

The next thing to look for is the "timing" of the process. If you're using a shorter projectile you may be starting to crimp the round before the bullet is far enough into the case, causing more resistance. You may be seeing a result of more than one factor, each one lending something to the final result.

After checking these things let us know what you find, if you don't find the problem with these suggestions supply us with your findings, we might be able to help you pinpoint a different problem.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

If all else fails, you can make a new seating punch with a common bolt that is the same thread as the seating screw and about 4" long. Have someone chuck it up in a lathe and turn the thread further down on a 4"long bolt; face off the end and drill a 1/4" hole in to about a depth of 1/2". Then, just countersink the hole in the end of the bolt with a 90-degree (NOT 120 degree) countersink until the diameter of the countersink has nearly reached the diameter of the bolt. The 90 degree countersink will more accurately center the bullet on the ogive than will the rounded cup shaped end of the factory-provided seating punch, and will remain short enough to not get involved with the crimp function.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

I do not crimp and seat at the same time. I seat using Rcbs die than crimp with lee Fcd die. The problem is the zero bullet profile doesn't match any of the seating die shapes properly so the bullets tend to not center properly. There straight enough to chamber but not perfect. I may just make a new piece for the die that has a better profile. I work at a machine shop so that would be a simple thing to do. I was reading that the dillon dies have a taper on the die which aids in centering the bullet better. Was just seeing if anyone else had this issue and how they resolved it.

(Lancaster County)

Try using the plug, if there is one, that has a taper for a sharper point than is on the bullet. You may see a ring around the bullet where the outside of the plug is contacting the ogive of the bullet and that should make it seat square. if the taper is such that the point of the bullet can contact the bottom of the seating plug it cannot center the bullet.

If none of your plugs can do that you will have to find one that does or make one. A 9mm plug may be the ticket as 9mm ball bullets tend to be rather pointy. Your local fun shop that carries parts may have replacement seating stems. If they do, take a bullet with you for fitment. The threads should all be the same regardless of the caliber it's meant for.

Doug
    Last edited by Franchi20/28; November 12th, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

In the final analysis : you want the seating screw to contact the bullet ONLY ON THE OGIVE, AND NOT ON THE NOSE

Yes, you could choose a seating screw from a smaller caliber, 9mm or 38SPL to use in a 40 or 45. Just make sure, and as Franchi said, "take a bullet with you for fitment".

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

I took my .38/.357 seater and put it in my .45 die. Works perfect!! ThAnks for the advice. That never crossed my mind, but once u suggested it, it made perfect sense. Thanks!!!!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    I do not crimp and seat at the same time. I seat using Rcbs die than crimp with lee Fcd die.
    Are you sure of this? All of my RCBS pistol dies seat and crimp in the same die. Check the instruction book that came with the die, it will tell you in there if it does. You may not even know it did this.

Edit*
    Just read the above post and it looks like your problem was solved. Grats.

Brad

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawanfighter View Post
    I took my .38/.357 seater and put it in my .45 die. Works perfect!! ThAnks for the advice. That never crossed my mind, but once u suggested it, it made perfect sense. Thanks!!!!!
    Thank YOU for posting an update. I've been wondering how you made out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast