Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to the forum...inquiring about Coyote hunting.

Hey fellas, first I just wanted to tell you a little about myself.

I'm originally from Plum, PA. I'm now a junior at Penn State majoring in Biology with an emphasis on Vertebrate Physiology. When not involved in my studies i'm a pretty chill guy. I enjoy watching tv, playing ping pong, frisbee, pool, football, bowling, hunting, fishing, and hiking.

I've been hunting for 6 years, and up until now, have limited it to whitetail. Most of that hunting has taken place at my camp in Armstrong County (Ford City/Kittaning).

Well, i'm ready to broaden my horizons. I bought a bear tag when I got my license this year (and i'm still looking for places to hunt...hint hint). Most of all, though, i'm interested in Coyote hunting. I went out calling for the first time at my friends familie's hunting camp/preserve. Between the family they own almost 3000 acres (and for the record, i got a tour of the property from the grandfather and it's the nicest property i've ever seen!) Needless to say I had no idea what I was doing and didn't see as much as a bird.

I guess the point of this thread, other than introducing myself, is to try to get some information on hunting coyote. I was using a Primos power dogg but wasn't sure what to run and how long to run it. Also, what should I be looking for as for a good "stand" location?

I'm sure i'll think of more questions later and will add them as they fly into my brain. Thanks for any input guys. I really look forward to what you guys have to say..

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New to the forum...inquiring about Coyote hunting.

Best advice I can give you is check out the link below, lot of good information. Coyote can be tough just be patient and get out hunting, most guys don’t call anything in for the first couple years of hunting. Coyote are not dumb, and you need to know them and there habits before you will have much luck on them. http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    Best advice I can give you is check out the link below, lot of good information. Coyote can be tough just be patient and get out hunting, most guys don’t call anything in for the first couple years of hunting. Coyote are not dumb, and you need to know them and there habits before you will have much luck on them. http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php
    Thanks for the advice. I'm actually already a member there...I even have a thread on the first page asking for advice there, too

I'm always looking for other places to hunt them if knows places...

I see you're from Murrysville. I actually worked at Donna Lynn's Pizza for 4 years!

(Westmoreland County)

In that there are Coyotes in every corner of the state. I have had the best luck in North Central Pa, Next would be Erie and Crawford County. Beaver and Mercer Counties are not bad as well. I do most of my Hunting at Night, I also get a Furtakers License, That way if a Fox comes in you can take it as well. Just don’t get taken in with the electronic calls, they do work great, but with some practice mouth calls and squeekers will do just fine. I use a shotgun for night work, and if in a tight area I will use the shotgun in early mornings and evenings. If you do find the need for a rifle a 223 savage has done a good job on Pa coyotes for me.

(Allegheny County)

In that there are Coyotes in every corner of the state. I have had the best luck in North Central Pa, Next would be Erie and Crawford County. Beaver and Mercer Counties are not bad as well. I do most of my Hunting at Night, I also get a Furtakers License, That way if a Fox comes in you can take it as well. Just don’t get taken in with the electronic calls, they do work great, but with some practice mouth calls and squeekers will do just fine. I use a shotgun for night work, and if in a tight area I will use the shotgun in early mornings and evenings. If you do find the need for a rifle a 223 savage has done a good job on Pa coyotes for me.
    I'd like to try and stick around school, that way I can hunt when I have time. I'll look into those areas, too. Thanks!

In regards to the firearm, I have a 22-250. I've never been into shotguns. I'm not a fan of randomness

(Westmoreland County)

22-250 will work, I have one as well, just a little over kill. Pa is not like hunting out west.
    Most of your shots are going to be fast, A coyote will be right on you before you see it, they don’t call it a brush wolf for nothing, A coyote at 30 yards at full run is a little hard to hit with a rifle. Coyotes will come in and bust you and you will never know they were there. You need to do some scouting and if serious about coyotes you need to do some driving. I have put a couple hundred miles on my truck in a night.

(Allegheny County)

22-250 will work, I have one as well, just a little over kill. Pa is not like hunting out west.
    Most of your shots are going to be fast, A coyote will be right on you before you see it, they don’t call it a brush wolf for nothing, A coyote at 30 yards at full run is a little hard to hit with a rifle. Coyotes will come in and bust you and you will never know they were there. You need to do some scouting and if serious about coyotes you need to do some driving. I have put a couple hundred miles on my truck in a night.
    Yeah...it is a little overkill when I look back on it. I'm still in the looks for a good pelt friendly round (not that I have actually tried any out on Coyote). Apart from that the smallest I have is a 22 mag, which seems a little small for Coyote.

The property does have some pretty wide open fields, but I might start seriously considering a shotgun for the other stands. Unfortunately, the roads that lead to such stands are REAL rough and definitely need a truck or some sort of 4 wheel drive. That's something I don't have... I'm pretty dependent on my friend and his grandfather.

well I am about 45 min from state college near bucknell, I actually went out today coyote hunting around 4:45pm, not much light left for a good hunt anyways... But I set up 300 yard into a field near a thicket. Friends reported 3 coyotes in the area. So I start on my mouth call, sit a few min... See one hauling Ass across the field maybe 100yards out. Only seen it come off a bluff for maybe 2 sec. I was using a .22mag/20Ga over under. I had no shot anyways. Well a few sec later a truck come driven down the field... Ruined my hunt!!! Dont know if I called the yote in or if it was there already, but good sign... The truck passed and I kept calling since it was nearly dark. No luck So on my way out I see movement in the field below about 200 yards. to far and to dark to tell what it is... So I squeak my call and nothing. So I kept walking here it was a deer.. It stood there and watched me come down and I got withing 75 yards and I could see horns. So another bonus for the day...

I am always game for yote hunting... Prob my fav thing to hunt... Sadly I have hunted them for 8 years and never got one... Had em come in, circle me, howl, follow my tracks out, just never had a shot... One day Tho...
    Last edited by Bug44; November 11th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    well I am about 45 min from state college near bucknell, I actually went out today coyote hunting around 4:45pm, not much light left for a good hunt anyways... But I set up 300 yard into a field near a thicket. Friends reported 3 coyotes in the area. So I start on my mouth call, sit a few min... See one hauling Ass across the field maybe 100yards out. Only seen it come off a bluff for maybe 2 sec. I was using a .22mag/20Ga over under. I had no shot anyways. Well a few sec later a truck come driven down the field... Ruined my hunt!!! Dont know if I called the yote in or if it was there already, but good sign... The truck passed and I kept calling since it was nearly dark. No luck So on my way out I see movement in the field below about 200 yards. to far and to dark to tell what it is... So I squeak my call and nothing. So I kept walking here it was a deer.. It stood there and watched me come down and I got withing 75 yards and I could see horns. So another bonus for the day...

I am always game for yote hunting... Prob my fav thing to hunt... Sadly I have hunted them for 8 years and never got one... Had em come in, circle me, howl, follow my tracks out, just never had a shot... One day Tho...
    Wow..8 years? I guess that will make it all the sweeter when you get one Don't ever give up!

I have an e-caller (well, I don't own it but I can use it) but i'm thinking about getting a few hand calls just to have and practice with.