Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default A few non encounters and a good one

I work for an armored car company and I'm a Marine Reservist. I frequently open carry whether I'm just going around town, jogging in boots and utes, or on my way to and back from work. The few times I haven't OCed is because my hoodie was too bulky to hike over the gun.

I stop at a gas station in the afternoon to fill up before work and grab some drinks for the evening shift. I'm in my work uniform and OCing. A group of teens stop, move out of the way, hold the door open, and say "Good afternoon, sir." I politely return their greeting and carry on. The clerk at the counter and other patrons similarly greet me politely and that's the end of that.

I jog around town in boots and utes (boots, cammie pants, skivvie shirt) with my two German Shepherds with my gun on my hip. Debated using a drop holster, but it's not that fun when I'm running up hills. Regulations say don't wear cammies off base, but there aren't any military installations to do boots and utes runs on nearby. The worst reaction I've gotten has been someone sprinting across the street afraid of the dogs. Local PD and sheriff's deputies have all passed by, waved, and not given a damn. The only time a LEO stopped me was to ask if I was new to the K9 unit. I responded "No, sir, just a Marine running his dogs." He laughed, said have a good day, and drove off.

I'm out in my backyard in jeans, t-shirt, boots, and OCing. The kids didn't really care, the one adult that passed by to check on them didn't care, and their biggest concern was my one shepherd barking because he wants to play ball. They accidentally throw the ball over the ledge of a hill (cliff) and I ask where it went. I proceed to climb down, get the football, and hand it off to them. Apparently I made their week, and now I'm the "cool Marine with the dogs and the gun."

Overall no one really seems to pay much mind here in New Castle. I gotta hand it to Lycanthrope, he was right. Western PA is a nice friendly area.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: A few non encounters and a good one

Get your dogs to OC too and I'll bet you get more attention!
    MikeP

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Get your dogs to OC too and I'll bet you get more attention!
    Make sure they have their LTCFs though, because PA is still in a state of emergency and a license is needed to OC

(Lawrence County)

I could probably put a vest on one of them to carry even more ammo...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Make sure they have their LTCFs though, because PA is still in a state of emergency and a license is needed to OC
    I thought it was determined that they didn't need it?

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...eal-carry.html

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    I work for an armored car company and I'm a Marine Reservist. I frequently open carry whether I'm just going around town, jogging in boots and utes, or on my way to and back from work. The few times I haven't OCed is because my hoodie was too bulky to hike over the gun.

I stop at a gas station in the afternoon to fill up before work and grab some drinks for the evening shift. I'm in my work uniform and OCing. A group of teens stop, move out of the way, hold the door open, and say "Good afternoon, sir." I politely return their greeting and carry on. The clerk at the counter and other patrons similarly greet me politely and that's the end of that.

I jog around town in boots and utes (boots, cammie pants, skivvie shirt) with my two German Shepherds with my gun on my hip. Debated using a drop holster, but it's not that fun when I'm running up hills. Regulations say don't wear cammies off base, but there aren't any military installations to do boots and utes runs on nearby. The worst reaction I've gotten has been someone sprinting across the street afraid of the dogs. Local PD and sheriff's deputies have all passed by, waved, and not given a damn. The only time a LEO stopped me was to ask if I was new to the K9 unit. I responded "No, sir, just a Marine running his dogs." He laughed, said have a good day, and drove off.

I'm out in my backyard in jeans, t-shirt, boots, and OCing. The kids didn't really care, the one adult that passed by to check on them didn't care, and their biggest concern was my one shepherd barking because he wants to play ball. They accidentally throw the ball over the ledge of a hill (cliff) and I ask where it went. I proceed to climb down, get the football, and hand it off to them. Apparently I made their week, and now I'm the "cool Marine with the dogs and the gun."

Overall no one really seems to pay much mind here in New Castle. I gotta hand it to Lycanthrope, he was right. Western PA is a nice friendly area.
    FYI -ALL Marines are cool! Thank you for your service!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Then we get into the whole need-to-be-21 for the LTCF and conversion to dog-years thing.....

--Phil

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post
    FYI -ALL Marines are cool! Thank you for your service!
    And happy Birthday

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Butler County)

does your work bring you into cranberry at all? i was at sheetz the other day and saw an armored truck guy with a bdu cap on and his sleeves jammed. he was younger.

(Lawrence County)

No, thank you all who support the troops for helping make serving so worthwhile.

My company may do stops in Cranberry. I haven't driven lately because I've been working in the operations center.