Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PA bound from MI - Several Legal questions

Hey guys - looks like after 7yrs in MI we are finally moving back to the beloved Pittsburgh, PA. I have several question around the laws in PA:

1. Gun registration: I have read on this board that PA does not require registration on firearm purchases (if I understood correctly). However, what does one need to do when moving to PA from out of state? Do the handguns and rifles need to be registered with the County/State Police? I'm asking as I am not purchasing but bringing my gear with me to my "old-new" hometown from another state. All firearms were legally purchased in MI.

2. Concealed Carry Permit: My MI CPL is good until 2015. However, my assumption is that once I change my residency to PA, my MI CPL would no longer be valid, and I would need to apply for a PA CPL. Is that assumption correct? Or can the MI CPL be used (as long as PA recognizes it) until it expires?

Does PA transfer out of state CPLs (like drivers liscenses) as long as they recognize the other states CPL? Or would one need to go thru the PA process of applying for a CPL to get a PA issued one?

I still have a lot of reading to do around this before we move and hope some of you might have some information they can provide.

Many thanks and can't wait to be back in the 'Burgh!!

Default Re: PA bound from MI - Several Legal questions

Quote Originally Posted by Badmax18 View Post
    Hey guys - looks like after 7yrs in MI we are finally moving back to the beloved Pittsburgh, PA. I have several question around the laws in PA:

1. Gun registration: I have read on this board that PA does not require registration on firearm purchases (if I understood correctly). However, what does one need to do when moving to PA from out of state? Do the handguns and rifles need to be registered with the County/State Police? I'm asking as I am not purchasing but bringing my gear with me to my "old-new" hometown from another state. All firearms were legally purchased in MI.

No firearm registration. In fact, firearm registration is prohibited by state law.

2. Concealed Carry Permit: My MI CPL is good until 2015. However, my assumption is that once I change my residency to PA, my MI CPL would no longer be valid, and I would need to apply for a PA CPL. Is that assumption correct? Or can the MI CPL be used (as long as PA recognizes it) until it expires? That would be a Michigan law deal, not PA to revoke if not longer a resident. If its valid, its good in PA. I do encourage you to apply for a LTCF as soon as possible. The day you change over your drivers license you can then apply for a LTCF. $25 bucks and within 45 days you have your license to carry Firearms.

Does PA transfer out of state CPLs (like drivers liscenses) as long as they recognize the other states CPL? Or would one need to go thru the PA process of applying for a CPL to get a PA issued one? No, no transfer per se of Concealed Pistol License...Pennsylvania does not issue Concealed carry permits....PA issues Licenses to Carry Firearms. Its very important that you understand this. With a LTCF, you can borrow firearms without going through and FFL, you may carry concealed, you may have a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of a school (k-12), you may carry concealed or open carry during a declared state of Emergency. There are more important reasons why a LTCF is not a CPL. Also, colleges' and universities are not restricted by law to CC/OC. That is up to the individual school as a policy, no force of law except for tresspassing after you've been asked to leave.

I still have a lot of reading to do around this before we move and hope some of you might have some information they can provide.

Many thanks and can't wait to be back in the 'Burgh!!

Welcome back to PA.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; November 9th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Michigan doesn't issue 'out of state permits' so if you change your legal address, I'd assume your CPL would not longer be valid.

I'd spend the $ to get a LTCF just to be safe regardless.

(IANAL)

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Many thanks guys! This is awesome info. I'm actually kinda suprised there is no CPL in PA. But from what I'm reading the LTCF will give me what I'm looking for (which is continue to carry daily). The only thing that sux is that OH does not appear to recognize it. Still going to be driving to MI a good amount of time thru OH.

MrBi - thanks for your feedback on MGO as well!

Seems like the LTCF process is very simply and straight fwd. Here in Mi you have to sit thru a 8hr CCW course, I think the fee was $125, valid for 5 yrs.

Thx again folks!!

(Chester County)

The only thing that sux is that OH does not appear to recognize it. Still going to be driving to MI a good amount of time thru OH.
    No worries. In addition to a resident PA LTCF, just pick up a non-resident Florida, non resident Utah, or a non resident Arizona license. Ohio honors those, AFAIK. There may be others but those are the most common non resident licenses. Welcome back to PA.

IANAL.

Make sure to tell the last one to leave to turn out the lights

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Jefferson County)

Many thanks guys! This is awesome info. I'm actually kinda suprised there is no CPL in PA. But from what I'm reading the LTCF will give me what I'm looking for (which is continue to carry daily). The only thing that sux is that OH does not appear to recognize it. Still going to be driving to MI a good amount of time thru OH.

MrBi - thanks for your feedback on MGO as well!
    CPL, LTCF, CWP - they are all the same thing. ...Just different names. They are a means to be exempted from a prohibited act, like concealment, carrying in vehicles, carrying in other places, etc, etc. "Permit" and "license" are by definition, legally, and in practice the same thing.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Pretty much +1 on everything customloaded said. I moved to PA from VT a little over a year ago, and brought my guns with me. No registration or other silliness was required. I got my PA driver's license and LTCF on the same day (the Centre County Sheriff is good like that; I submitted the application, waited while they ran the background check, and walked out the door 20 minutes later with my LTCF). Your experience may be different, depending on the issuing agency (some take the maximum time allowed by law just on principle, and some will call your references to see if there is any reason they can find to deny you - members who live in the area you're moving to can tell you what the situation is like there).

If it'll be a few months before you move, and you'll be coming to PA beforehand, it might be worth getting your PA LTCF now (you have to apply in person, IIRC). There's no difference between LTCFs issued to residents and those issued to non-residents, so all you'd need to do once you move here is give the issuing agency your change of address.

If you do some searching re: registration, you'll see stories of police officers trying to determine if a handgun is registered to someone, or even confiscate it if it isn't. The PA State Police (PSP) maintain a "sales database" of handgun transfers that take place through FFLs in the state (it's not a "registry" because it doesn't contain all handguns in the state, just those that have been transferred through FFLs). It's an issue because some officers don't know the law, and it can be a headache to get your gun back while trying to show them that they've got the law wrong. It's not a huge risk, but something to be aware of if you're stopped while carrying and the officer disarms you. (I'm in the same boat, since only one of my handguns was purchased in PA.)

(Lehigh County)

So it's for sure that the PA-SP only maintains FFL based transfers and has no hard data-base? Just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast