Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Reloading Sure why not trust me with gun powder and the need for careful measurements

In short ammo isn't cheap (even steel), a daughter is on the way, and I may have access to a work area so it's not done in my apartment, so I want to learn about reloading...though having stacks of ammo boxes in the apartment is cool in a John Matrix way!

Quick questions:

1. I'm just wondering what are the basic material needs to do reloading?
    2. Can someone explain the reloading process in idiot terms to me? I take case, newly done bullet tips, fill with gun power, and use easy bake ove...err press and viola new bullets.
    3. Is it possible to avoid using lead bullet tips?
    4. How long does it take to generally recover your initially you material investment in terms of savings on factory bullets?
    5. Is it easy or worthwhile to do with the following types, 9mm, .40S&W,.45 ACP, and .357sig. I do have a rifle, but i assume keeping it to pistols keeps costs down (and that's not counting if you can even reload 7.62X54r).
    6. What are the basic hazards one faces with reloading and how does one mitigate them?

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Reloading Sure why not trust me with gun powder and the need for careful measurem

Go here: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/

Read the Sticky posts at the top, majority of your questions are answered.

Youtube is great for learning also.

I'm still learning and finding better eq and ways to make rounds.

Lead is cheaper to shoot, Jacketed/plated stuff still has lead, but it is jacketed or plated..ie covered. Don't suck on your fingers while handling the lead.

Recouping your costs. It depends how much you shoot.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Reloading Sure why not trust me with gun powder and the need for careful measurem

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Go here: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/

Read the Sticky posts at the top, majority of your questions are answered.
    Thanks thought it would be under gunsmithing for some reason.

Youtube is great for learning also.
    Youtube has been a godsend with cleaning and stripping/reassembling weapons.

I'm still learning and finding better eq and ways to make rounds.

Lead is cheaper to shoot, Jacketed/plated stuff still has lead, but it is jacketed or plated..ie covered. Don't suck on your fingers while handling the lead.
    I don't plan on doing so lol I'm just concerned with it getting absorbed into the body or not getting it fully cleaned off.

Recouping your costs. It depends how much you shoot.
    Even if it's not recouping as much as less money spent in the future it's good for me. I like to try and shoot at least once a week (granted it will vary if I'm a member somewhere, which I'm thinking of doing).

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Reloading Sure why not trust me with gun powder and the need for careful measurem

another good source of info is the book abc,s of reloading. starts you at the beginning and pretty much explains all the how too,s and what for,s. most reloading manuals cover this info as well in the front part of the book. may i suggest hornady,s reloading manual. good luck it is just another fun part of the shooting experience. remember safety first and it is better to ask a question than make a mistake. nobody here will razz you for asking a question that may keep you out of trouble. red dog

(Luzerne County)

I may have missed one. There are others on youtube.

I would suggest you get the ABC's of reloading.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0896896099/...l_840lscu7mf_e
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Here are the bare essentials for rifle All items shown are from Midway USA.

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner $2.09
    Product #: 467111 Lee #: 90101

May need to trim your cases
    Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud $6
    Product #: 476992 Lee #: 90110

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 7.62x54mm Rimmed Russian (7.62x53mm Rimmed) $4.49
    Product #: 702313 Lee #: 90147

For case cleaning: #0000 Steel Wool and some latex gloves (keeps steel wool dust from giving you microsplinters and makes cleaning your hands afterward easier)

Then put a small chamfer on the case to help the bullet go in easier with this

Lee Chamfer and Deburring Tool $2.79
    Product #: 389104 Lee #: 90109

Scale: YOU NEED A SCALE
    MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    Product #: 713049 MTM #: DS-750 $39.99
    I also own & use a Dillion Eliminator scale, a beam scale (about $60)

Funnel ! Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Caliber Product #: 974498 Lee #: 90190 $3.49 It really helps when pouring powder into the case !

At this point you could stop and buy a Lee Classic Loader (a/k/a Lee "Whack-a-mole" loader) I have owned these for several calibers. Just admit to yourself that you will become addicted to reloading, and go the press route (below)

Lee Ram Prime Priming Unit for Single Stage Press
    Product #: 728999 Lee #: 90106 $10.79
    No one talks about this but it kicks ass for priming using the press. No stinking hand priming tool. If you don't like it you're out $11. Waaah.

Press: Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press
    Product #: 176078 Lee #: 90588 on sale for $49.99
    I have the classic cast iron Lee press ($90) but the cheaper one works fine.

Buy the dies you will need. If loading for one rifle, you can get away with "Collet Dies/Neck-sizing only"

Buy Bullets and Primers and a Reloading Manual- I like Hornady’s manual (or read internet)
    Last edited by Enfielder; November 9th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Buy a good manual or two, (or 3 or more). You've been given some good leads here. Don't be shy about buying used manuals to save a few $$, the "how to" is the same now as it was 5 years ago, 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. Powders and bullets have changed so you always want to find the most current load data to stay on top of safety. Most manufacturers have load data posted online or available cheap or free where you buy your components. There are plenty of good tutorials posted on the Internet, but like anything else there is some not so good and even bad and downright dangerous information posted. Get the books, read them, search around here, compare information that's consistent and disregard what runs contrary. Ask questions, digest the information then ask more questions. We'll help you but I don't want to overwhelm you with info in this thread, you're just thinking about getting started.
    Be prepared to learn a lot and have have fun using your new found knowledge. You'll also learn that you won't really save money, you'll still spend as much but you'll be able to shoot more for the same $$.¢¢.
    You'll also have better ammo for that price if you pay attention and continue to learn instead of thinking that knowing the basics is enough.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

As far as lead goes, I used to work at a battery plant so I got trained,retrained and trained again about the hazards. If you're reloading lead bullets, don't eat drink or smoke unless you wash your hands with soap/water first.

There's not going to be a lot on your clothes but with a baby around showering and changing is a good idea. Your clothes can be washed in with everything else. Lead is easy to be safe around, just remember to clean up.

My first reloading setup was a LEE kit. The shop owner where I bought it gave me instructions to do 3 things before I started.

1: Read the book.
    2: Read the book again.
    3: Read the book one more time.

Reloading is a great hobby, nothing like seeing your homemade loads do well at the range. It can also kill you. Sorry, short version today, need to get the kid up for school. As long as you follow the books (get several) and take your time, life is good. I recommend a single stage press, start with ONE set of dies,when things start to flow add another set and learn that caliber, and so on.

Ask questions, READ THE BOOKS, check out YouTube, there's a ton of info out there. About 10 years ago I proudly showed my wife my first 3 rounds for my Garand. Since then there's been 308, 303, 7.5X55,.223/5.56,9mm, 45 ACP. I cast my own for the 45, and I'm fixing to setup for 8mm with Berdan primers. Warning- it's addictive!! Welcome!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.