Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Peaceable journey.

What about peaceable journeys in and out?

I once asked a New Hope Police Officer about trips into New Jersey. If I am in New Hope which is on the border to New Jersey in the daytime and friends invite me to their home in NJ. What do I do with my gun. He claimed that all I need to do was put it in the trunk until I came back into PA. My understanding is that I must be going to or from a range or match or I must be passing through.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Peaceable journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    What about peaceable journeys in and out?

I once asked a New Hope Police Officer about trips into New Jersey. If I am in New Hope which is on the border to New Jersey in the daytime and friends invite me to their home in NJ. What do I do with my gun. He claimed that all I need to do was put it in the trunk until I came back into PA. My understanding is that I must be going to or from a range or match or I must be passing through.
    I don't know the specific law in NJ but I would NOT risk this. Your only protection as far as I know is the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 but that only convers travel THROUGH states with quick breaks for food/restrooms and does not include stopping by to visit someone.

Do not bring firearms into NJ, it's not worth it and their laws are so bass-ackwards that you are almost guaranteed to break one of them.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I come to Philly once a year or so to visit relatives, when I go to Jersey to visit my sisters, I drop the gun off at a gun shop to be cleaned. Then pick it up and go my merry way.
    Hugh

(Bucks County)

how much does it cost to get cleaned?

(Berks County)

Siobhra,

I know that some people feel that packing.org has been neglected and not kept up-to-date, but IMHO it still contains valuable information about rules and regs in each state. Here's a page about NJ:

http://www.packing.org/state/new_jersey/

A few highlights from this page:

1. You may bring a firearm into NJ from another state without a permit, but only for the purposes of target shooting for the day.
    2. Although it's not REQUIRED, there's paraphrased advice from a NJ attorney that it's STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you apply for a NJFID card. Note that a NJFID is NOT a LTC or CCW permit, it's merely an ID allowing NJ residents to purchase/transport firearms, which non-residents can also apply for.
    3. You still have to adhere to NJ laws regarding firearms, like no hi-cap magazines for example.

After reviewing the page, all in all the hassle doesn't seem worth it. Then again, I guess that's exactly what the NJ govt. wants, isn't it?

This is why I never owned a firearm when I lived in NJ. I remember looking at the info on this site years ago, and saying, "why bother?"
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Den9,
    I dropped it off in Chadsford at the indoor range. Picked it up three days later, $10 total. Good safe storage and a clean pistol.