Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default S&W Governor Revolver

Ok, this is one of my first posts so please bare with me.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Smith and Wesson Governor revolver. I already own a couple decent CC pistols (XDM Compact .40, Ruger LC9), so this is decidedly NOT for that activity. I also already own what I think are fairly respectable wheelguns for hunting: namely the Ruger Redhawk .454/45, a flattop Blackhawk 45LC/ACP and Bisley .45, so this gun would probably not see the field as a primary hunting firearm. However, I've heard from a lot of people that, despite having fringe defensive and hunting capabilities, the gun is just plain fun to shoot, whether trying to hit lazily thrown clays or plinking with light .45 loads. Additionally, I've heard that the governor actually holds a fair (using that liberally) accuracy compared to taurus models. Will anybody on the boards here fess up to owning one? Just looking for thoughts...

Thanks
    Anthony
    Last edited by adyszel; November 9th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: S&W Governor Revolver

I do not own one but cannot deny purchasing a gun for no other reason than fun at the range. I would try and shoot it first to see if I liked it and then BUY BUY BUY.

(Bucks County)

if you want it buy it. i saw the governor and i think it's a great looking pistol. there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a gun you have no use for other than it being a range toy.

(Snyder County)

The governor and the judges are a great all around gun. I have had many older folks buy them as a home defense gun since sighting the target isn't critical with a 410 shell. I've had people buy them as rat chasers and have had some just buy them for looks. As for accuracy, both the S&W and Taurus perform well. Investment value, I would pick the S&W tho...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delerius View Post
    The governor and the judges are a great all around gun. I have had many older folks buy them as a home defense gun since sighting the target isn't critical with a 410 shell BAD application, there is much fail in this logic. I've had people buy them as rat chasers good application and have had some just buy them for looks. As for accuracy, both the S&W and Taurus perform well. Investment value, I would pick the S&W tho...
    My thoughts in red. To the OP: it sounds like you want one for the right reasons. To my mind they, along with the Taurus brainchild, are toys, not tools. Nothing wrong with buying toys, and I have two Harleys that can attest to that

(Snyder County)

Please explain why you state that a 410 would be bad for self defense? A .410 loaded with 000 Buckshot moving at 1200 fps is deadly at close range. Just for reference, buckshot pellets are .360 which is .002" bigger then a .38

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: S&W Governor Revolver

i like the feel of the s&w better over the taurus. not to mention the extra round and the .45acp option as well. go with the s&w, more bang for your buck.

(Franklin County)

Get it. Members of my family carry a judge with buck for camping defence(they camp near the mexico border). Get it and post pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delerius View Post
    Please explain why you state that a 410 would be bad for self defense? A .410 loaded with 000 Buckshot moving at 1200 fps is deadly at close range. Just for reference, buckshot pellets are .360 which is .002" bigger then a .38
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/2...e-shotgun.html

^^^^^^^^^The place for your discussion^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Cumberland County)

I've always said I'd buy a Judge when they start hitting the used shelves in force. Just for fun though. I mean come on, .410 of of a handgun? It's just fun.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast