Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Kimber haters How many Know....

How many Kimber haters know that Kimber supplies the Slide and frame to make a WILSON semi customized or customized 1911 pistol (I just found out)? I've always like my 18 yr old Kimber its an older model and didn't cost anywhere close to what they cost now. I guess I bought mines before they started making parts for Wilson and my gun still a good one. Maybe that why they increased there price and the gloss they have on them now days.

From what I remember Kimber started the buy semi custom witthout paying custom price. I built my Colt and it still doesn't have everything my Kimber has on it. But the Colt is more reliable because it is throated and polished and has 3.5 trigger job, that cost me.

Kimber Rocks!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Kimber haters How many Know....

Ive just seen way to many of them have reliablity problems in the past few years. I cant speak for the 8+year old ones. But for the price tag and the reliabilty issues they are not for me. I will say that the ones I have shot were very accurate. But for the price tag give me a mint condition early series 70 built Colt Gold Cup

(Centre County)

I'm not a "Kimber Hater" but IMO it doesn't matter who supplies the frames and slides to any gun maker as long as it meets the buyers specs. It is what happens to the frame and slide after it gets to the gun maker. In the case of Wilson, everything is then hand fitted, modified, whatever is needed to make it meet Wilson specs.

IIRC, Ruger (Pine Tree Castings) supplies a lot of things to other manufacturers, including golf club heads and hip replacement parts. They are just the manufacture of the parts, the parts are then finished by the buyer to meet the buyers specification(s).

Kimber has been an up and down gun. I can remember that at one time years ago, they were one of the best around. A few years later, I was at a large police supply business/gun shop and they had no Kimbers at all. I asked why and they told me that they had so many return for poor workmanship that they dropped the Kimber line due to the complaints. Now they seem to be back in contention as a very well made gun. Who knows what happened in these cycles. It could be changes in management over the years, emphasis or deemphasis on quality control or whatever that caused these ups and downs. Right now, I like some of what Kimber has to offer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Read further on that post I sent you...............!!!!!!! NO KIMBER DOES NOT SUPPLY WILSON.

edit:"One thing that is for sure is that the 1911 business is constantly evolving. We have spent Millions trying to be ahead of the curve and to do it "our" way.

We make our own line of premium barrels. They are not a barrel anyone can buy and put their name on. They are not a rebadged Kart, Storm Lake, Nowlin, Bar-Sto, Fire Dragon or Briley or whatever maker of the month. They are Wilson barrels.

We make our own proprietary slides and frames and have for several years. We have 10 CNC machines to prove it in 3 different buildings. Come see.
    No one can buy our slides/frames and put their name on them. They are very different from everything else that is available on the market-a side by side inspection will immediately show it. They are not Filipino, Korean, Caspian, Lewis Machine, Briley, Remsport or whoever. They are Wilson.

We make our own line of bulletproof and machined parts. They are all made in AR. They are gorgeous parts, and worth every penny. Is it overkill to build a bar-stock beavertail or bar stock ambi-thumb safety? Maybe-NOT TO US! These are Wilson parts. The Wilson family is in this for the long term. Bill's son Ryan Wilson has a 3 year old and a 6 year old. One day they will hopefully be walking the floors here like Ryan does making sure that their family name is being properly represented. This is what Bill Wilson has done for 35 years!!! This is who we are.

Sorry for the rant. We happen to think our stuff is special and so should you. We put a bit of ourselves in every gun we built, every part we make or sell and every order we fulfill. That is our promise to you.
    http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/
    "

Read post 43, I've quoted it here. Read the entire thread, in fact. You'll find Joe C. was misinformed.
    Last edited by thundrr1; November 8th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

In the document link it stated that with CQB that "the popular Wilson Combat fixed sights with Night Eyes tritium option. He continued "going vertical" in production with the frames and slides, which are produced to Wilson Combat's specifications by Kimber.(The Light Rail frame is made by Caspian.) Tyson Anderson, Wilson Combat's sales manager, tells me his firm is "very close" to manufacturing its own slides and frames to the same exacting standards."

456 - Just to let others know that this did not come from my own thinking or that I made it up, it was part of Wilson advertising in this article of how there guns are made.

As its been stated most buyers or consumers don't care who supplies the components that makes up the final product. It is Wilson's final produce that counts.

Bottom line I like my parkerized Kimber.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 8th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

(Delaware County)

Who stated???? Which post?
    George,

Promised functionality: Wilson Combat CQB .45s
    by Massad Ayoob Nov/Dec 2003

456 - That is what is said in this article.

(Delaware County)

Very inaccurate information. Go here and see pictures and descriptions.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=259822
    George,

That took me to a Website discussing the same matter did Kimber make slide and frames for Wilson and weather they were forged or not. Apparently at one point or even now Kimber made forged slides and frames but they also use MIM.

It doesn't seem to matter to the consumers here. And I only used information in a article you sent specifying this matter. I was not able to view the retraction of this manner and even the website seems to debate this issue inconclusively.

(Delaware County)

This is not a website, as such, it's a Wilson Thread on the 1911.forum. The first reply show photos of the Wilson factory making the slides and frames from billet. Nuff said. Conclusive evidence shown. Done.
    George,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast