Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question TLR-1 > TLR-1s (test your gear)

Every time you train you get a great opportunity to evaluate your gear and find out what works. During a recent bit of low light training with Armed Dynamics I started coming across some problems with my streamlight TLR-1s.

When I purchaced the light I opted for it over the non-strobe model because for the same price it uses a slightly brighter LED and the strobe feature could be deactivated if I didn't like it (and I do not). Usually I feel that multi function switches are a great way to ruin an otherwise great, reliable and rugged tactical light and this is no exception.

In normal operation 2 rapid taps of the momentary switch activates the strobe. To turn this "feature" off you toggle the switch rapidly ten times and the light goes dark for a second to indicate to the user that the mode of operation has been successfully changed. So, where does the problem come in? Under recoil batteries can bounce and momentarily break contact. With a single-function light this isn't a problem. The interruption in light is miliseconds and not really even perceptible. With the 1s and its multifunction switch, this imperceptible interruption instead ends up unexpectedly activating the strobe with your first or second shot and ten rounds of rapid fire later your light goes dark as the mode changes. Even if you started with the strobe disabled, one good string of fire will enable it, cause the light to briefly stop working, then when it starts working again a second later, it will unexpectedly go disco on you. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE FOR A DEVICE YOU PURCHASED TO AID IN DEFENDING YOUR LIFE. I've seen this happen with other TLR-1s lights and the many "my strobe stopped working" threads on the forums are undoubtedly also due to the momentary break in battery contact under rapid fire causing the mode to cycle.

Way to go streamlight, you fucked up a perfectly good light by ignoring the K.I.S.S. concept and adding "features" no one needs anyway.

Mercifully, the standard TLR-1 is still available without the gimmicks. A general rule of thumb is that it takes 1 lumen per yard to see and 2 to identify, making the standard TLR-1 plenty bright and doesn't have the stupid multifunction switch.

Test your gear before it kills you. Run it hard, often to make sure that if it sucks you know before you need to use it to help you shoot people. The best way to do this is with organized, professional training on a regular basis.

Stay safe, gentlemen.
    Last edited by vicious; November 8th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: TLR-1 > TLR-1s (test your gear)

Good info. When I last shot with you guys Jeff was talking about the strobe model and how much he liked it. I'm glad you posted this because I had yet to make the purchase.

Jeff got the strobe model initially for the same reason I did. I dont think he uses the strobe feature either. Thus far, he has not encountered the same problem with switching on his particular light. It seems that only some are effected, but we both agreed after the class this past weekend that it happens on enough of them to raise concerns about the reliability of the more complicated multi-function switching.

I won't speak for him, but in the future I will only recommend the non-strobing model and I have a feeling that after considering the issue he will come to that conclusion as well. I'm running a non-strobing TLR-1 now and don't miss the slightly higher output of the S model in the least. 120 lumens is plenty of light
    for any realistic use of your handgun (wasn't that long ago before LEDs were the norm that half that output was considered sufficient) and you get less splashback indoors and when utilizing cover.
    Last edited by vicious; November 8th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

(Bucks County)

Had a situation in my neighborhood during the height of the hurricane that tested both my emergency equipment and my home security plans. Found about 75% of everything worked as planned but a number of flaws showed up. Working to fill those gaps.

This advice certainly applies whether we're talking about a individual piece of gear or an entire disaster plan

That hurricane turned out to be a great opportunity to test your gear and plans. The reason it made for good practice is because it wasn't too bad. Think about it though. If that situation ended up being worse than it was, that would be a bad time to find out your preparations were 25% deficient. By performing drills and eschewing dogma and constantly reevaluating all aspects before a threat presents itself, you can take advantage of impending disasters like the hurricane knowing that that you are well prepared and if nothing happens, you at least got some practice.

Before the next time a threat presents itself, pick a bright, sunny day, assemble your team and execute your plan just for the sake of doing it. I see a lot of people with bug-out plans, for instance, who have never thought to try just grabbing their kit and heading for the hills. Until then it's all just theory.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    This advice certainly applies whether we're talking about a individual piece of gear or an entire disaster plan

That hurricane turned out to be a great opportunity to test your gear and plans. The reason it made for good practice is because it wasn't too bad. Think about it though. If that situation ended up being worse than it was, that would be a bad time to find out your preparations were 25% deficient. By performing drills and eschewing dogma and constantly reevaluating all aspects before a threat presents itself, you can take advantage of impending disasters like the hurricane knowing that that you are well prepared and if nothing happens, you at least got some practice.

Before the next time a threat presents itself, pick a bright, sunny day, assemble your team and execute your plan just for the sake of doing it. I see a lot of people with bug-out plans, for instance, who have never thought to try just grabbing their kit and heading for the hills. Until then it's all just theory.
    Really good advice which sadly few will probably follow due to human nature."This can't happen to me syndrome".Tried to rep you but must spread it around some more first.
    Last edited by GrumpyBear; November 8th, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Really good advice which sadly few will probably follow due to human nature."This can't happen to me syndrome".Tried to rep you but must spread it around some more first.
    It's the thought that counts.

(Allegheny County)

This is why I won't do multi-mode lights on any weapon. Switching between modes, variable brightness...

Fuck ALL of that noise if my life is on the line. I want ON and OFF. Full power light and some SIMPLE momentary on function. That's it.

There is no time to be fooling with things like that on a two way range. Purchase accordingly.

Absolutely correct. Even if you can turn multi-mode "off" we see in my example that the added complexity even just having the circuitry for it does you no favors.

K.I.S.S.

I'll be pestering streamlight about their annoying trend of ruining their lights with terrible user interfaces. They used to be the cheap alternative to surefire, and while they still build with that sort of quality, they have been adding functions to compete with chinese lights, which are frankly toys and not for serious use. I want to talk with their product development people about a "back to the basics" line of tactical handhelds. Stuff they already make only with simple, momentary only operation. Surefire still does it right but with their previously affordable g-series now costing $100 or more, they're getting stupid with the pricing and pushing people to Chinese illumination toys. Streamlight is American quality at affordable prices, they just have lost their way trying to compete with lesser products.

Vicious, you might want to send your lamp back to Streamlight to have it double checked, as I've never had that problem with my TLR-1s. It has a serial number 0238XX, maybe they made a change somewhere along the line? I've put about 2k+ through my SR9 with the lamp on and illuminating, and never had it switch modes on me, or flicker under recoil. I just checked the springs in the unit that secure the batteries, and I'd be hard pressed to beleive they could be compressed by the weight of a lithium battery under handgun recoil. Especially since they're pre-loaded by the door latching shut.

Not saying you're wrong, just comparing to what I'm observing. I agree with you 100% that they screwed the pooch on their strobe activation. I enjoy the multi press mode selection in their ProTac lights, but it's just not very well suited for how a weapon light is going to be used. They need to re-do the circuitry so that you're options are 'constant only' or 'strobe only', every time you activate the light. I'd also kill to get a reflector that has some more throw.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast