Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Peaceable Journey through New York With Firearms

As previously mentioned. I'm covered in Ohio with my (non-resident Virginia Permit).

Our (Pennsylvania CCL) is not honored by any of our border states. Most of our border states will honor 'Peaceable Journey' per the Federal Law provision. However (Peaceable Journey) is only allowed if you have the right to carry in the state you leave from and the state you are going to.

Now my question: I have a daughter who lives in Connecticut. Connecticut does not honor my Pennsylvania or Virginia licenses. I believe that already rules out taking firearms along when visiting my daughter?

An even bigger question: Are any of you real familiar with New York Law? Reference 'Peaceable Journey'? I'm of the impression New York simply does not honor any other state's CCL and further does not honor 'Peaceable Journey'!!! (Is this because of State's Rights??) Penalty, if your caught, Mandatory, jail time! (????) I guess New York is tough..tough..tough. Does this mean - don't even think about New York State?

The only exception I see is if your going to and have registration papers with you for certain accepted competitions.

Default Re: Peaceable Journey through New York With Firearms

When it comes to New York, unload and lock guns and ammo seperate before you cross state lines into NY, don't even risk it.

This is from Packing.Org, it should atleast gove you the statutes you need to investigate.

There is no provision in the law for any non-resident of New York to possess a handgun in any context that does not involve participation at a sanctioned match (with a program) or a gun exhibition outside of New York City (See Penal Law §§ 265.20[13], 265.20[13-a]). The only relief travelers are offered is the federal exclusion (18 USC §926A). It is advisable that the gun transporter have a copy of this statute on their person while traveling, since many police officers in the state are not aware of this regulation (even though it became law in 1986). Make sure that the handgun is not accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; November 25th, 2006 at 04:29 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Chester County)

Stay out of NY with handguns. The federal law protects you but you will have a big legal fight on your hands. NY law states a handgun can not enter the state unless it enters through an FFL. A non license person can not even touch a handgun in NY. I use to live there. Trust me. Stay at home in this great commonwealth we live in. God bless PA!!!!!

PS if you enter with A long arm be careful too. They have an AWB as well as mag ban. The place is a shithole anyway. why go? I have to vist famly 3-4 times a year and hate every minute of it.

Did I say God bless PA yet????

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Our (Pennsylvania CCL) is not honored by any of our border states. Most of our border states will honor 'Peaceable Journey' per the Federal Law provision. However (Peaceable Journey) is only allowed if you have the right to carry in the state you leave from and the state you are going to.
    What I am about to say doesn't speak to your particular problem, but if you get a non-resident Florida Concealed Weapon License, you will be able to carry in Delaware, Ohio and many other states not covered by the Pennsylvania license. At $117 +, the Florida license is a bit pricey, but few states are as aggressive as is Florida with respect to signing reciprocity agreements with other states. I think the Florida license is now valid in about 30 states.

Far less costly is the non-resident New Hampshire Pistol License. That license will allow you to lawfully carry in a few additional states where the PA license is currently not valid. The great thing about the New Hampshire license is that it only costs $20 (no prints either). If all goes well, New Hampshire will send the license to you about ten days after receiving your application.

Please see www.packing.org for more information. I hope this helps somewhat.