Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What makes the Wilson Combat special?

What makes the Wilson Combat special? Besides being a stellar 1911, Could anybody give a general description of the Gun's make up that makes it "So" special.

Where does the Combat rate on the Wilson Chart of custom pistols?
    Does it have a match barrel?
    Does it come with night sights?
    Does it come with a blue printed slide and frame?
    What makes it cost $2400 -$3k? pending where you buy.
    Whats the average cost of this gun used?

Inquring Minds want to know.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 7th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: What makes the Wilson Combat special?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Not sure what that sentence means... "Wilson Combat" is the name of the company. They have many different models. Perhaps this site would fit your needs: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index-handguns.htm

Pick a model, click the pic, and there's a ton of info.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

What makes the Wilson Combat special? Besides being a stellar 1911, Could anybody give a general description of the Gun's make up that makes it "So" special.

1. not sure
    2. YES
    3. if you order them
    4. all parts are hand fit
    5. fit , finish and accuracy

No different than trying to compare a Honda to a Ferrari . Both are cars but -

I will be honest , i use to think that is it really worth it to pay 3k for a pistol my $700 pistol is fine. That was till my skills improved a little bit and i got the chance to shoot and own a custom 1911/2011. My 2011 almost feels like cheating when i shoot it along side my 1911.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Best way to find out is to find someone who has any WC model, fire it, then pick up a RIA, Kimber, SA...ect...And you will see why they (WC) cost so much more. Not knocking on the manufactures that I just mentioned, they all produce fine products (although I have quite a personal distaste for Kimber). Proof is in the pudding, fit and finish is unbelieveable, accuracy is amazing. You get exactly what you pay for.

I do not see a nightmarish difference between a WC and a great value 1911 such as the new Colt GCT, MT, or some of the SA Loaded models, with a good trigger job. Most 1911's now a days need some kind of trigger work (unless it is a WC, Kimber Target Match Limited, EB, or LB, or STI), which is $65 or so, unless you can do it yourself. The WC comes with a trigger job. There are no MIM parts in a WC which drives up costs a little. Even when polished and fitted, a MIM part will not function as smoothly as a forged or machined hard metal part (although you can get them close). Everything is handfitted, which costs a lot because these gunsmiths make a little more than minimum wage. Even if you use a WC in a combat environment, it comes with a lifetime warranty and Wilson's SD is probably the best in the business. No matter how bad the economy is, they will sell every one of their special edition pistols before they all get to the actual sellers. They are as fine a 1911 as there is and considered the elite by many 1911 enthusiasts. Too rich for my blood. As I said in another post, I like numbers; three Colts for one WC.

As far as acuracy goes, no 1911 builder, today, makes a 1911 that isn't accurate, at least from what I have seen. The custom shop 1911's are more accurate, but most people would only see this if they are a super good shooter or competitor, which the WC would then be fitting if you had the scratch to marry one.
    Last edited by harold63; November 7th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

Having a factory Rep monitor various Wilson forums is a big plus. He not only provides answers, he can also be a quick link directly to the factory.

Here's a link to the stickies,,,, http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=338565 The first one will show some pics of the frames and slides in process. There are pics at the top of the thread and about half way down, also.

Poke around in there........ it's very informative.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Not sure what that sentence means... "Wilson Combat" is the name of the company. They have many different models. Perhaps this site would fit your needs: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index-handguns.htm

Pick a model, click the pic, and there's a ton of info.
    456 - You are correct again, I was inqurying about the CQB (close quarter battle) WC.

Special thanks to those who answered the questions feeling what I meant.

Thanks for any help I'm at work some of the link won't load in.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I do not see a nightmarish difference between a WC and a great value 1911 such as the new Colt GCT, MT, or some of the SA Loaded models, with a good trigger job. Most 1911's now a days need some kind of trigger work (unless it is a WC, Kimber Target Match Limited, EB, or LB, or STI), which is $65 or so, unless you can do it yourself. The WC comes with a trigger job. There are no MIM parts in a WC which drives up costs a little. Even when polished and fitted, a MIM part will not function as smoothly as a forged or machined hard metal part (although you can get them close). Everything is handfitted, which costs a lot because these gunsmiths make a little more than minimum wage. Even if you use a WC in a combat environment, it comes with a lifetime warranty and Wilson's SD is probably the best in the business. No matter how bad the economy is, they will sell every one of their special edition pistols before they all get to the actual sellers. They are as fine a 1911 as there is and considered the elite by many 1911 enthusiasts. Too rich for my blood. As I said in another post, I like numbers; three Colts for one WC.

As far as acuracy goes, no 1911 builder, today, makes a 1911 that isn't accurate, at least from what I have seen. The custom shop 1911's are more accurate, but most people would only see this if they are a super good shooter or competitor, which the WC would then be fitting if you had the scratch to marry one.
    456 - Great analogy!!! More and More I hear that the common 1911 being built now days can give the same feeling and near performance as a WC,EB or LB the question has to be asked then why spend $2600 - $3000 if a $800-$1400 gun will do.

I know bragging rights of owning such a fine piece of machinery but if only a Pro shooters can wring them out why do the normal Joe (like me) buy them? (I want one badly, just like the old Jokers that garage the 911 turbos but don't drive faster then 55mph) I don't know why but I do.

For the money most believe that the $1400 STI can match the EB, LB & WC performance maybe not build quality. EB, LB & WC still sell like pancakes.

(Luzerne County)

as a wilson owner, i can attest to the unparalleled build quality. its just like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for. Does a timex tell time just as good as a rolex, sure.. but the quality isnt there.

I didnt buy a wilson for the name, i bought it because i LOVE the 1911 platform. (and i got a great deal) I other 1911's that work well and can outshoot me any day, but the Wilson's fit and finish, silky action and ridiculous accuracy and reliability make it my favorite. Why buy something that just isnt as good if you can swing the best? (not that the other high end brands aren't very nice as well)

Its a semi-custom piece, hand fitted and made all in-house. The customer service department will bend over to make you satisfied even if you are the 2nd, 3rd or 50th owner.

if you shop the deal you can find great condition WC's for 1700 or so.. Figure your going to spend 1000+ on a high quality (colt, springfield, sti ect..) and if your into the platform your probably still going to make changes to make it exactly how you like it..

Wilson's are as good as their ever going to get, and if you get one new you order it with everything you want right from the factory..

Wilson builds semi-custom pistols. They will make the pistol to order from a defined list of options. They will also do some work that is not on the list, and you just have to ask whether they will do the additional work or not. For example, they do checkering but don't do golf ball, snake skin, etc. patterns.

The CQB is the most popular model they make. Cost depends on what you add to the base model. You reach the CQB Elite really fast, and the Elite is probably a better buy if you want popular options like Bullet Proof parts.

There is a difference between the standard models and the Super Grade. The standard models are built by a number of gunsmiths for each gun. One specializes in fitting the frame and slide, another fits the barrel, another assembles and fits the ignition group, etc.

Super Grades are assembled in a separate building and each gun is individually built by a single gunsmith. In the case of my Super Grade, two gunsmiths worked on it. One built the entire gun, and the second did the extreme dehorning.

The barrels are Wilson custom barrels. They are not listed as match barrels as they do not have a match chamber, because Wilson wants their guns to work with a variety of ammunition, including ammunition that does not meet exact SAAMI standards. A true match barrel would have a match chamber and out of spec ammunition would not cycle in the gun.

Each Wilson is tested with a variety of ammunition and at least 80 rounds are shot though every gun before it is shipped.

Are they accurate? Yes, many come with a 1-inch guarantee at 25 yards. Every gun comes with a target showing a 10 shot test group. Both of my Wilsons test groups are under the size of a quarter at 15 yards from a rest.

Yes, if you want night sights. No if you don't. Wilson builds their own sights and will even do things like insert tritium vials into their adjustable sight. They will also install other sights from different companies if you supply the sight you want.

I have one Wilson with an adjustable sight with tritium inserts and a tritium insert in the front sight - green in the front and yellow in the rear. I have another gun with an adjustable sight with no night sight inserts and a gold bead in the front sight.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Each frame and slide are hand fitted and matched to each other. The fit is individual for each gun.

Really they cost from about $2700 to over $6000. The reason is the amount of machine work and hand fitting. If you include color case hardening the frame and Turnbull bluing you can approach the $6K price with a Super Grade.

Depends upon the age, condition and model.
    Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; November 16th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast