Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Conceal carry permits for PA

I have a house in CT and one in Tobyhanna, PA. For CT I have a permit to carry concealed. Given the foreclosures in my area of PA I'd like to start taking my firearm to the PA house when I am up there on the weekends. What permit(s) do I need to carry in PA as a non-full time resident and homeowner? I was considering a Utah Permit since I also have a house in OH. Thoughts?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Conceal carry permits for PA

Looks like PA doesn't accept the CT permit. Here is a list of the permits or licenses that will work in PA:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity

You may also be able to get a non resident PA LTCF. Depends on the county/sheriff I think. You'd need to talk to the sheriff's office of the county your property is in to see if they issue non-resident licenses.
    Last edited by Python73; November 7th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Lycoming County)

You can get a PA Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms. Start with the Sheriff of the County that you have the house in. You will need to have your CT CCP when making application. If for some reason the Sheriff will not issue a Non-Resident LTCF, there are others in the Commonwealth that do.

As an aside, you would be lawful to transport the firearm to PA. You could even have it loaded in your vehicle, while in PA, on your CT CCP.

Be safe (and Licensed).

Scott

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    You can get a PA Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms. Start with the Sheriff of the County that you have the house in. You will need to have your CT CCP when making application. If for some reason the Sheriff will not issue a Non-Resident LTCF, there are others in the Commonwealth that do.

As an aside, you would be lawful to transport the firearm to PA. You could even have it loaded in your vehicle, while in PA, on your CT CCP.

Be safe (and Licensed).

Scott
    I know from charts I've seen that PA recognizes the Utah permit. But, in practice do they really recognize a permit from Utah?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I know from charts I've seen that PA recognizes the Utah permit. But, in practice do they really recognize a permit from Utah?
    Yes, they have to.

PA has recognized, for vehicle carry, every States License/Permit for sometime now.

Be safe (and stay in the car ).

Scott

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Yes, they have to.

PA has recognized, for vehicle carry, every States License/Permit for sometime now.

Be safe (and stay in the car ).

Scott
    So could he drive around with the gun, and open carry it when he gets to his destination?

Also, do you have a source for that?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    So could he drive around with the gun, and open carry it when he gets to his destination?

Also, do you have a source for that?
    Yes, in this situation, I believe it could be done that way.

Be safe (and drive there).

Scott

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license
    Effective: December 16, 2008

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106

Purdon's Pennsylvania Statutes and Consolidated Statutes Currentness

Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses (Refs & Annos)

Part II. Definition of Specific Offenses

Article G. Miscellaneous Offenses

Chapter 61. Firearms and Other Dangerous Articles (Refs & Annos)

Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act (Refs & Annos)

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

(2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

(3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

(5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

(6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

(7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

(10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

(14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:

(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

(16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

(Bucks County)

PA sheriffs are required to issue to anyone not prohibited....and non-residency is not a prohibitor. However, there are a few ignoramuses that runs things their own way.

You could use a copy of your CT permit to obtain an AZ permit thru the mail which is honored in PA.

(Delaware County)

RCS:

Since you have a CT permit, you should be able to get a PA non-resident License to Carry ($20/5 years) without a hassle (well not too much of one). While it doesn't give you all the states UT, AZ or FL would, you would avoid the 1000' federal school zone prohibition while you are carrying in PA. Also, as a non-resident, you are not required to apply in the county where your 2nd home is, you can apply to any county sheriff's office. There are really no hoops you should have to jump through to get the PA license

I don't know how non-resident license friendly the Monroe Co. sheriff is (it appears that he does issue them), and although having a 2nd home in PA really doesn't work into the license equation, it may make it a little easier to get the PA license from the Monroe Co. sheriff. Here's the link to their LTCF page. You'd have to contact them to get the particulars (some of the info on the site is not IAW the PA UFA and may have been changed since the page was put up):

http://www.co.monroe.pa.us/judicial/...ialNav=|34328|

To cover you in OH, the AZ permit may be the easiest/least expensive of the bunch to get (PA has no reciprocity with OH so you would need another state's permit/license).

Soberbyker posted a set of maps that show what states you get with what permits/licenses here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/1779381-post-36.html

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    RCS:

Since you have a CT permit, you should be able to get a PA non-resident License to Carry ($20/5 years) without a hassle (well not too much of one). While it doesn't give you all the states UT, AZ or FL would, you would avoid the 1000' federal school zone prohibition while you are carrying in PA. Also, as a non-resident, you are not required to apply in the county where your 2nd home is, you can apply to any county sheriff's office. There are really no hoops you should have to jump through to get the PA license

I don't know how non-resident license friendly the Monroe Co. sheriff is (it appears that he does issue them), and although having a 2nd home in PA really doesn't work into the license equation, it may make it a little easier to get the PA license from the Monroe Co. sheriff. Here's the link to their LTCF page. You'd have to contact them to get the particulars (some of the info on the site is not IAW the PA UFA and may have been changed since the page was put up):

http://www.co.monroe.pa.us/judicial/...ialNav=|34328|

To cover you in OH, the AZ permit may be the easiest/least expensive of the bunch to get (PA has no reciprocity with OH so you would need another state's permit/license).

Soberbyker posted a set of maps that show what states you get with what permits/licenses here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/1779381-post-36.html
    I have an email into the County Sheriff describing my situation and asking if in practice he recognizes the Utah State permit. Ideally, I'd like to only have to get the Utah Permit so I can have reciprocity for OH and PA. However, since I do spend a good amount of time in PA, I don't want any hassle with the local law enforcement. As an example, on the Monroe Sheriff's website it mentions reciprocity with many States but not Utah. So, he and other PA LEO's may not recognize Utah reciprocity. See where I'm going here?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast