Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Conceal carry permits for PA

Good Lord, all this rigamaroll and confusion because a few idiots can't interpret "shall not be infringed".
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Cool Re: Conceal carry permits for PA

I am also a Connecticut Homeowner and Resident, and visit Pennsylvania several times a year. I applied in person in Wilkes Barre this past August and received my Pennsylvania Non Resident License in 15 minutes. Just download the form, and ( like I did) get a money order from a local PA bank. I used two references form Ct and had no problems at all.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    If you are a resident of CT, have a CT license/permit, and don't want to do anything to help PA have good government, just drive 120 miles west to Centre County and apply in person with Denny Nau's office. Problem solved.
    HUH ??????

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    HUH ??????

Thread recap: Non-resident who wants a PA benefit talks about applying for an LTCF with a sheriff who may have unlawful requirements and who might deny a license when those requirements are not met. A piece of paper is not going to see our laws upheld, so those who succumb to unlawful demands bolster our lawbreakers, and those who seek no redress cause unlawful means to lie in place. I'm sure you've found, as I have, that most of the threads on PAFOA don't involve correcting any wrongdoing, whether a resident or a non-resident is involved. It is more like "How do I get my license with the least amount of trouble?" Well, that's not the business we should be in; however, I provided the option that I expect to work for those non-residents looking for a quick out and who will be in the state to apply in person.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Thread recap: Non-resident who wants a PA benefit talks about applying for an LTCF with a sheriff who may have unlawful requirements and who might deny a license when those requirements are not met. A piece of paper is not going to see our laws upheld, so those who succumb to unlawful demands bolster our lawbreakers, and those who seek no redress cause unlawful means to lie in place. I'm sure you've found, as I have, that most of the threads on PAFOA don't involve correcting any wrongdoing, whether a resident or a non-resident is involved. It is more like "How do I get my license with the least amount of trouble?" Well, that's not the business we should be in; however, I provided the option that I expect to work for those non-residents looking for a quick out and who will be in the state to apply in person.
    Honesty, I knew what ya meant without the recap.

Like it or not some folks just don't have the time or money to fight "city hall", or have the want or desire to be an activist, some folks just want to protect themselves and go about life down the path of least resistance. Regardless of whatever business you think "we" should be in there's no need to belittle or guilt them into doing something with your flip comment(s).

Personally I've written and talked to the PA AG office about the way the DELCO sheriff was handling things about 5 years ago. Since then a few things have improved, don't know if I had anything to do with it or not since the AG gun guy told me they had no jurisdiction over county sheriff's.

I found this site looking for the same info the OP desired, although from a resident standpoint. I didn't come here to be talked down to or into being an activist, and although I have done a few things to help our cause, I did it voluntarily because I wanted to, not because someone else wanted me to.

Try to remember, not everyone who finds their way to the forum is here for the same reason you may be, a nice response to a new member was turned sour by that one sentence, IMHO.

(Dauphin County)

Like it or not some folks just don't have the time or money to fight "city hall", or have the want or desire to be an activist, some folks just want to protect themselves and go about life down the path of least resistance. Regardless of whatever business you think "we" should be in there's no need to belittle or guilt them into doing something with your flip comment(s)
    If the citizens can't bother to be vigilant about their government, perhaps we should just abolish it. Of course, we will probably find that we don't have the time or money or want or desire to abolish it. It turns out politics is real and government happens, regardless of the will of people who want to do nothing about it and want nothing to do with it. How can "I want to carry a firearm but I'll be damned if I do anything about it to make sure I can!" be a productive strategy? Soon, there will not be LTCFs for our residents and nonresidents to acquire through the path of least resistance...We, the Pebbles, will have been washed away by the powerful river known as government, any semblance of even the 'right' to bear arms through licensing submerged.

Yeah, I'm going to make commentary on this. Because each time someone else doesn't stand up, the government official stands to screw me, you, or the next guy, next time, which will cost more time or money or want or desire than had that last person made their stand. I doubt anyone is going to be soured by my line; in fact, I suspect most people will brush over it not fully comprehending its meaning. The only people who will realize the nature of it will already probably know that they are part of the problem. In the case of non-residents, maybe they will just start learning.

(Delaware County)

MDJ, While I may agree with the sentiment, your delivery, well, not so much. You are a fairly articulate person, no need for pot shots hidden in an otherwise good answer for the question asked.

(Butler County)

Just wondering what actions if any are taken by those that constantly post to fight a local sheriff. The state has procedures for issuing an LTCF. The state should be taking action against sheriff's not following the procedures.

Are those posting to fight a sheriff stepping up and fighting it at the state level like they want the locals to do at the local level? This is clearly a problem accross the state and not just with one sheriff. It's not my sheriff/county is not an excuss.

(Delaware County)

~snip~

Personally I've written and talked to the PA AG office about the way the DELCO sheriff was handling things about 5 years ago. Since then a few things have improved, don't know if I had anything to do with it or not since the AG gun guy told me they had no jurisdiction over county sheriff's.

~snip~

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Just wondering what actions if any are taken by those that constantly post to fight a local sheriff. The state has procedures for issuing an LTCF. The state should be taking action against sheriff's not following the procedures.

Are those posting to fight a sheriff stepping up and fighting it at the state level like they want the locals to do at the local level? This is clearly a problem accross the state and not just with one sheriff. It's not my sheriff/county is not an excuss.
    I'm not one of "those people" however, I did contact the PA Attorney General's Office (AG), as noted above, and was told the AG didn't have jurisdiction over the sheriff, that in the end, the voters did.

Like you I see a lot of folks telling others to step up, but that's all I see from a lot of them, no reports on how their meetings went.

(Butler County)

I'm not one of "those people" however, I did contact the PA Attorney General's Office (AG), as noted above, and was told the AG didn't have jurisdiction over the sheriff, that in the end, the voters did. .
    Got the same response when I emailed. I've since emailed my reps about a new bill that would require uniform issuing procedure throughout the state and actions taken if not followed. It would then be the AG responsibility to enforce it.
    Last edited by DonM55; November 14th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast