Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Conceal carry permits for PA

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    You can get a PA Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms. Start with the Sheriff of the County that you have the house in. You will need to have your CT CCP when making application. If for some reason the Sheriff will not issue a Non-Resident LTCF, there are others in the Commonwealth that do.

As an aside, you would be lawful to transport the firearm to PA. You could even have it loaded in your vehicle, while in PA, on your CT CCP.

Be safe (and Licensed).

Scott
    Thank you for this information. I confirmed it by pulling up the Monroe County, Pa firearm guidelines. This is good news. It means I can transport my firearm in my vehicle to/from my house in CT and my house in PA during the holidays since I won't be able to get a local permit recognized in PA to carry by then.
    Last edited by RCS; November 7th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

(Delaware County)

It is not up to the Monroe Co. sheriff to decide what permits/licenses are valid from other states. It is the PA Attorney General who makes those agreements/declarations and all PA LEOs have to abide by them.

The reason I suggested a PA non-resident license is to allow you not to have to worry about getting hassled if you happen to be carrying within 1000' of a school while you are in PA. It may never come up but it could bite you in the arse if some LEO or DA decided to press the issue if you were ever caught in that situation. Since the PA LTCF is only $20 for 5 years, it puts that (federal) prohibition to bed - at least in PA (& CT since you are covered there also).

Edit: Personally, I would tread very lightly about carrying a loaded firearm in your vehicle ONLY on your CT permit. The clause quoted that seems to cover you is one of the EXCEPTIONS to the statute and the burden of proof that you meet that exception may be on you, during a felony trial situation - so be careful when relying on that paragraph. Getting grabbed by your short ones over that could jeopardize your CT permit and also ever owning a gun again. I'm not a lawyer but I think the ice may be thin there.
    Last edited by Kurt_D; November 7th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    It is not up to the Monroe Co. sheriff to decide what permits/licenses are valid from other states. It is the PA Attorney General who makes those agreements/declarations and all PA LEOs have to abide by them.

The reason I suggested a PA non-resident license is to allow you not to have to worry about getting hassled if you happen to be carrying within 1000' of a school while you are in PA. It may never come up but it could bite you in the arse if some LEO or DA decided to press the issue if you were ever caught in that situation. Since the PA LTCF is only $20 for 5 years, it puts that (federal) prohibition to bed - at least in PA (& CT since you are covered there also).
    I see your point. A non-resident PA permit is not expensive and provides some benefits. However, it requires that I appear in person to submit the application and pick up the permit. In addition, I have to have two references fill out a questionnaire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I see your point. A non-resident PA permit is not expensive and provides some benefits. However, it requires that I appear in person to submit the application and pick up the permit. In addition, I have to have two references fill out a questionnaire.
    References can be from anywhere....they do not have to be County residents. You can use two people that live in CT. There is no questionaire for them...you just need to supply their name, address and phone...
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; November 7th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

(Delaware County)

I looked at the application instructions and you only have to list your references from your home state. I do not see a requirement for them to do anything on the form (which is the way it should be). Actually, the references are supposed to be able to come from anywhere - that restriction id the sheriff's brainstorm.

I believe appearing in person with the application is now a PA requirement. Monroe Co. may issue licenses on the spot (after doing a PICS or NICS check on you - don't know if it's a NICS if you are out of state) - some sheriffs do issue right away although the statue says they have 45 days.

Also, look at the edit in my previous post about carrying a loaded gun in your vehicle ONLY on your CT permit - could be a dicey situation.

(Lycoming County)

during a felony trial situation - so be careful when relying on that paragraph.
    Just to be clear, even if there was no permit or license, it would be a Misdemeanor violation, not a Felony. Check paragraph (2) of the statute posted.

Be safe (and classified correctly).

Scott

(Monroe County)

I looked at the application instructions and you only have to list your references from your home state. I do not see a requirement for them to do anything on the form (which is the way it should be). Actually, the references are supposed to be able to come from anywhere - that restriction id the sheriff's brainstorm.

I believe appearing in person with the application is now a PA requirement. Monroe Co. may issue licenses on the spot (after doing a PICS or NICS check on you - don't know if it's a NICS if you are out of state) - some sheriffs do issue right away although the statue says they have 45 days.

Also, look at the edit in my previous post about carrying a loaded gun in your vehicle ONLY on your CT permit - could be a dicey situation.
    From the instruction form regarding the questionaire:

"All references MUST be full time MONROE COUNTY, PA. residents only! Family members or those who
    reside at the same address as you are NOT acceptable. References can not be related or reside at the same
    address as one another. You must provide their complete home mailing address and phone number. If any of
    your references fail to return the questionnaire within the 45 days, your application will be denied."

"All references MUST be full time MONROE COUNTY, PA. residents only! Family members or those who
    reside at the same address as you are NOT acceptable. References can not be related or reside at the same
    address as one another. You must provide their complete home mailing address and phone number. If any of
    your references fail to return the questionnaire within the 45 days, your application will be denied."
    Just another made up requirement that is in violation of the UFA. What is comes down to is that the Sheriff while not allowed by law in the various jurisdictions does whatever they want to do. So even though you might be perfectly entitled to the LTC, their extra conditions may keep you from obtaining the permit. My suggestion is to screw the Sheriff and get AZ or FL. You get more bang from your buck and not contributing to these Sheriffs that make up their own rules.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Just to be clear, even if there was no permit or license, it would be a Misdemeanor violation, not a Felony. Check paragraph (2) of the statute posted.

Be safe (and classified correctly).

Scott
    (Referring to your post containing the statute)

Not saying I disagree with you at all on the charge level that the statute prescribes but with all the overzealous DAs kicking around, I would not put it past one to try to get it bumped up to what Para. (a) (1) states. Bottom line is that the "accused" might have to show that he meets the requirements of Para. (a) (2) as an exception to make it a misdemeanor or Para. (b) (11) to make it all go away.

I was simply putting it out there that being an out-of-stater, with no reciprocity, coupled with possible gung-ho LEOs and DAs, it could get messy - not a great way to spend a holiday. It would be far better to get a valid license/permit before the fact and not have to worry about possible nit-picking consequences.

If he's transporting, unloaded, as prescribed in Para. (b) (8), he'd be far less likely to have an issue.

Look at all the crap that Viper had to deal with when there should never have been any charges filed (except possibly against the Sgt. that started the whole thing).

The ONLY "official" requirement, according to the LTCF application, is that references not be family members. All that other crap in there is, well, CRAP

And even that requirement is not in the PA UFA.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast