Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: info on DCFS

(Delaware County)

Default info on DCFS

Hello!

I'm relatively new to the area and looking around for ranges close to me (I live in media). I recently had a renewed interest in shooting sports due to a "bucket-list" type of moment relating to my health.

I have been going to Ommelanden hunter training center in New Castle, Delaware, but they have a "non-magnetic" ammunition rule that makes shooting my mosin very expensive. Also, its a crowded zoo and not the best place to try to introduce my wife to the sport.

DCFS seems to be the closest/most reasonable range near me, but they seem riddled with oddball rules. Can anyone comment on rules #16 and #17 here? These seem to be deal-killers for me.

http://www.dcfs.org/ranges/ranges.htm

#16: All ammunition purchased at the club grounds must be used at the club’s ranges.

-- Does this mean I have to buy the club's ammo when I want to shoot? Do they even sell 7.62x54r?

#17: Guest fees are to be paid by a range member who shall also accompany the guest while shooting on any range. Guest permits will not be issued for the High Power and Black Powder ranges between October 15 and December 15 of each year.

-- This is the real killer for me, because I'd like to take my dad, wife or maybe even friends out with me.

summary:
    I'm just a regular guy looking to find a friendly, non-crowded, local range without silly rules or ammunition restrictions.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by stimrob; November 7th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: info on DCFS

Rule #16 means that they sell shotgun ammunition that is approved for the skeet and trap ranges, you can bring your own shotgun ammo but it cant be larger than #7 , trap loads. no high brass. The ammo they sell you'll probably use it up there anyway.
    Rule #17 is mostly on the high power rifle and black powder ranges during the weeks before firearm hunting seasons as it can get really busy. But during the week it should be light enough to shoot with guests. Most weekends outside the dates listed aren't too crowded. I would call before hand. People have issues with the magazine restrictions on the rifle or handgun range, I just buy a few more magazines and load them with 5 rounds anyway. If you want to test the full magazine function on a new magazine then get prior approval by the range officer.
    I highly recommend the club. The rules keeps it safe. I used to go to the public range up near French creek all the time, but there were several times I saw serious unsafe acts.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

I can live with the 5-round mag limit. It's questionable what purpose this serves, but it's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make for having a "home range".

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Rule #17 is mostly on the high power rifle and black powder ranges during the weeks before firearm hunting seasons as it can get really busy. But during the week it should be light enough to shoot with guests.
    That's what I figured, thanks for clarifying. This is the *ONLY* reason I probably wont join since I work full-time, it gets dark early now (limiting me to weekends) and I want to go with my wife and friends.

(Philadelphia County)

Also, if you want to carry your firearms at all time, you won't like the "no firearms" in club house and ranges rule.

I personally like DCFS a lot. Even with the restrictions you mentioned, it's worth the very reasonable membership. You can get a family membership for $150 + initiation fee. That means your wife, parents, and kids will be members. Your friends would still be guests. It's not horribly unreasonable for your friends to wait until after 12/15 to try the high power range. There are many other ranges you can use (trap, skeet, pistol, small bore, archery).

I haven't been there long enough to know about the crowdedness of the high power range, but I haven't seen it getting super crowded on all of the weekends that I was there. I usually see 3 to 5 lanes occupied (out of 14 or 15 I believe).

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Delaware County)

Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Delaware County)

You don't have to buy the club's ammo. Bring your own if you want to. They don't sell any High-power rifle ammo in the clubhouse anyway. The only rule on ammo that you need be concerned with is shotgun ammo - no high brass and no shot larger than #7. We have residential properties bordering the club and don't want shot leaving the club grounds (it has happened).

The High Power range is officially "closed" to guests at this time of year, but if you do bring a guest with you, my suggestion would be to ask a range officer if the guest can shoot. We have 14 available benches and if there are only 5-6 shooters occupying them then I would let your guest take up a spot. We did that yesterday for a member who brought a guest with them. We just told them that if the range got really busy, the guest would have to vacate their spot to a paying full member. I don't think we had more than 10 benches occupied so it did not become an issue. I suspect that as we get closer to opening day the HP range will be quite crowded on the weekends. Also, this Sunday we have an IBS benchrest match and the range will probably be full until the early afternoon with match participants.

(Delaware County)

Hey thanks for the information - I fully would expect a guest to be required to give up their spot on the line for a paying member.

This brings up an interesting point: If I were to bring a guest to shoot, it would likely be "sharing" one station with myself, one person shooting, the other person spotting etc

Do you think the Range Officers would be OK with that / are there provisions for it?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimrob View Post
    Hey thanks for the information - I fully would expect a guest to be required to give up their spot on the line for a paying member.

This brings up an interesting point: If I were to bring a guest to shoot, it would likely be "sharing" one station with myself, one person shooting, the other person spotting etc

Do you think the Range Officers would be OK with that / are there provisions for it?
    As far as I know, a guest, once issued a pass which costs $10, has full access to the range as long has she/he is under the supervision of the hosting member. Guest does NOT have to give up the spot and as a host, I would surely as heck refuse to do so if ever asked (unless someone can cite some sort of rules somewhere). I'd find it very difficult to believe/accept that there is such a rule or if any members with any decency would make such a demand. That said, as a courtesy though, I wouldn't have all my guests taking up all the lanes when the range is crowded.

Each member can have up to 3 guests. Personally though, I'd have my guests shoot with me in 1 station. You are fully responsible for your guest and it's best to keep them with you at all time. I don't believe there is a rule that guests can't have their own stations, but I could be wrong.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimrob View Post

It depends. If you're there on a weekday and there are only a couple of other shooters, then each of you could occupy your own benches.

If you show up at 1:00 Saturday afternoon with a guest and there are 10 benches being occupied, then you might be asked to share a bench if the RO lets your guest shoot at all. Remember, the rule is "no guests" between 10/15 and 12/15 so the RO has to make a judgment call. If you're there at any other time of the year, then both you and your guest could occupy two benches.

(Delaware County)

I am on the verge of joining also. They are very methodical in safety rules and I suppose with the number of members they have (4000), they have to be. Most other clubs have safety rules, but no where near the extent or application as DelCo. The membership is made up of traditional bullseye shooters and not combat style shooters.

I am also a member of Southern Lancaster County. This club caters to combat style of shooting having a police style pistol range with no stationery benches. The club also allows sillhouette humanoid targets which are not permitted at DelCo.

Main difference, DelCo. is less than a mile away from my house, S.Lanc. is 53 miles.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast