Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: info on DCFS

(Delaware County)

Default Re: info on DCFS

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal].....
    We are also very involved with getting youth into shooting, scouts come and camp over night here several times during the year, we also help the scouts get their shooting merit badge. Two weeks ago we sponsored a pheasant hunt at the Meadowview Preserve in Salem, NJ, every kid came away with at least one bird.

I know I had a great time when my troop was there ~13 years ago. We weren't there for a badge we were just introduced to firearms besides the standard .22 pea shooters the scout camps have. I don't remember what exactly they were but a few pistols and a shotgun were definately in the mix.

(Delaware County)

I was just there last week sighting in for hunting...Yea I know I'm late I usually have it done by mid summer, and the range was a bit crowded. Went when it rained Wednesday, was alone on the big bore range for a time.

My favorite part about being a member is: your grand kids are part of your family membership. My grandson got to do some trout fishing last year, gonna take him and his sister shooting on the rimfire range this coming year to teach them proper gun etiquette; I just got a .22 rigged up for them to use. The funnist part of rimfire is the metal targets, some go ding, some fall down, they should like that.

I've been a member for about 10 years, it's really close, and I enjoy the heck out of it. I used to shoot at Avon Lake club (remember that one) years ago and was concerned about DCF&S because I though they were snobby; not the case. The only thing I'm concerned about is the nimbys who might move in behind the club, and try to shut it down, that's when you'll see me doing an OWS in Middletown's township building!

(Delaware County)

DCFS is a nice club. Mag restrictions shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to test your carry gun, you can do so by getting in touch with John Hodges {chief pistol RO}and set up a time so one of the range officers can supervise. You can load a full mag and test your gun.
    We may think the some of the rules are silly, but not everyone are seasoned shooters. With 4,000 members, we need to make sure everybody has fun and stays safe.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

I took the plunge and joined delco having my walk around the other day.

Two questions were posed by me to the host of the walkaround and the man was uncertain of the answers. I know the delco members of this forum are knowlegeable and can usually back their answers.

First, I have a shotgun with a smooth 18" barrel and sometimes shoot slugs through it. Is their a place in the black powder range for that purpose? I was told that spots were set aside for "patterning a shotgun", but we all know slugs are not patterned.

Second, I asked if one was permitted to shoot a 22 rifle at 100 yards at the "big bore" rifle range. What a host of answers I got with that querrie. A member finally advised me to to check at the desk before doing it. Sounds reasonable, but I am fearful of getting inconsistant information depending on the person working the office. Please do not get the notion that I am in any way showing disrespect for anyone at the club including the walk around host. There are many rules and constant changes, even to the point that the "rule book" may not be up to date. In some instances the "rule book" is mute on the subject.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by c45man; November 22nd, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

(Delaware County)

Welcome to the club and thanks for joining. I'm a RO on the HP range and can answer two of your questions for you.

SLUGS: If you want to sight-in your shotgun for shooting slugs, you have to do it at the 50 yard bench position on the black powder range. This is for slugs only though, no buckshot or other multi-projectile ammo. If you want to shoot slugs from a 100 yard position on the high-power range, you must first demonstrate to a range officer that you can keep 5 shots inside of the 8" bull of a TQ-4 (100 yard smallbore rifle) target at the 50 yard position. If you can (It's easy enough to do) the RO will give you a qualification card which you'll need to keep with you when shooting slugs on the 100 yard range. Slug shooters shoot from positions 1 & 2 on the HP range at the leftmost "SLUG" marked backers @ 100 yards. If you want to qualify for the 100 yard range I'd say to come up on a Sunday AM. You can also PM me and we could set-aside a date and time to meet.

.22LR on the HP range: The rule book that is handed out at orientation has not been updated to reflect a rule change that was adopted a few years ago that allows anyone to shoot .22 RF on the 100 yard range. You can. You no longer need to be a registered NRA silhouette shooter. I would ask that when shooting 22's you try to do a good job policing your brass. I hate cleaning up 22rf brass that some shooters choose to not pickup after shooting.

There is also a shotgun "patterning" range which is up behind the pistol range, in back of the Ed Martin house. This is for checking patterning of your shotgun. I'm pretty sure that there's rules on shot size, probably nothing larger than #7 but I'd ask an RO of one of the shotgun ranges or ask Stacy in the office.

(Delaware County)

I Saw that Some people posted her Said they are RO or officers of the club can one of them please PM me I need to speak with someone.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by AStudman97 View Post
    I Saw that Some people posted her Said they are RO or officers of the club can one of them please PM me I need to speak with someone.
    The thread has 3 pages, not much to parse through. soberbyker and jbrower both said they are RO. If you have questions, you PM them with your questions and I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by AStudman97 View Post
    I'm an RO on the table trap range, started near the beginning of this past summer and I can't really speak much about any other range, but I can try to get an answer for you, send me a PM.

(Delaware County)

I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question on DCFS, as a kid my father and I became members of the organization and joined, however after 2 years or so we couldn't renew our membership due to some personal matters. It's been 10 years or so would I have to reapply or is there a way I could renew the membership.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question on DCFS, as a kid my father and I became members of the organization and joined, however after 2 years or so we couldn't renew our membership due to some personal matters. It's been 10 years or so would I have to reapply or is there a way I could renew the membership.
    You'll have to reapply. The longest you can go without renewing is three years.

http://www.dcfs.org/dues_schedule.htm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast