Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Group demands enforcement of Pgh. lost-and-stolen handgun ordinance

Religious group presses mayor on handguns

Saturday, November 05, 2011
    By Joe Smydo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

About 50 members of a faith-based group staged a protest Friday at Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's office to demand enforcement of a lost-and-stolen handgun ordinance that his administration calls legally flawed and unenforceable.

Angry that Mr. Ravenstahl wasn't among the public officials who attended their public meeting Thursday, representatives of Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network decided to take their message to him.

The protesters -- chanting "Where are the guns coming from?" and "Where is the mayor?" -- halted in the reception area of Mr. Ravenstahl's office. Four representatives were invited to meet with the mayor, a sit-down that lasted about 30 minutes and achieved no consensus on the ordinance.

The parties did, however, continue to work together.

"Sometimes moral victories are hard to come by," said the Rev. Richard Freeman Sr., president of the network and pastor of Resurrection Baptist Church in Braddock.

Mayoral spokeswoman Joanna Doven said Mr. Ravenstahl was disappointed that the group took a confrontational approach on the lost-and-stolen handgun ordinance, given the productive meetings he and group leaders have had in recent months on related topics.

In what she called "historic" changes for the city, Ms. Doven said the mayor agreed at those meetings to push for greater diversity in the police force, to provide diversity training to police and to put a community representative on the board that interviews prospective cadets.

"This is an issue where there is blood on the ground," Rev. Freeman said, calling on the city to identify and hold accountable the owners of guns used in street crimes.

In 2008, council passed the ordinance requiring residents to report lost and stolen handguns within 24 hours. The Rev. Glenn Grayson said no one ever has been fined or prosecuted for violating it.

The legislation became law without Mr. Ravenstahl's signature. He maintains that the city doesn't have the legal authority to implement the law and that it's unenforceable anyway. Ms. Doven said city solicitor Dan Regan had explained the mayor's position to the network well before Friday.

U.S. Attorney David Hickton, Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Linda Lane and city council members Bill Peduto and Bruce Kraus were among the officials who attended the network's "public action" meeting Thursday.

Each year, officials are asked to pledge cooperation on issues ranging from crime to transportation.

Joe Smydo: jsmydo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1548.

Default Re: Group demands enforcement of Pgh. lost-and-stolen handgun ordinance

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    . . . .

"This is an issue where there is blood on the ground," Rev. Freeman said, calling on the city to identify and hold accountable the owners of guns used in street crimes.. . . .
    What would be cool would be holding accountable the mothers and possible fathers of the thugs who are committing these crimes.

I wonder how many of the lemmings who belong to this organization are aware of where their sons and daughters are most of the day.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    What would be cool would be holding accountable the mothers and possible fathers of the thugs who are committing these crimes.

I wonder how many of the lemmings who belong to this organization are aware of where their sons and daughters are most of the day.
    It's society's problem - not theirs... The American way since the 60's - deflect blame and responsibility...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Delaware County)

They just don't GET IT!!!!! And probably never will.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Monroe County)

Another example of typical inner city America, demand more while doing less-to-nothing.

(Butler County)

<SNIP>In what she called "historic" changes for the city, Ms. Doven said the mayor agreed at those meetings to push for greater diversity in the police force, to provide diversity training to police and to put a community representative on the board that interviews prospective cadets.<SNIP>

What the hell does this have to do with L&S?

Something tells me that this group either doesn't know what it wants or is trying to push everything it wants. It seem like they are all over the place with their demands.

(Monroe County)

More "squeaky-wheel" agendas.

(Allegheny County)

This is one of the best suggestions I've ever heard!

(Berks County)

I say let them start enforcing it, so that someone can finally have standing to take it to court, and get this law thrown out as a preemption violation.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I say let them start enforcing it, so that someone can finally have standing to take it to court, and get this law thrown out as a preemption violation.
    ^^^THIS

I don't think it's unreasonable for any group to push for any law to be enforced. If it's illegal/unenforceable or you really don't want to enforce it, then don't pass it. You can't have it both ways.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast