Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Trail camera pictures

Yes, I see that now. Sorry about the confusion.

(Clinton County)

MFDC0537.jpgMFDC0556.jpgMFDC0589.jpgMFDC0565.jpg
    Hope I attached them right. A few from near one of my stands

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    MFDC0537.jpgMFDC0556.jpgMFDC0589.jpgMFDC0565.jpg
    Hope I attached them right. A few from near one of my stands
    Damn, what is your stand attached to?? I can only see new growth, looks like the whole forest was cleared

(Clinton County)

This section was clear cut in 1986. My stand is just out of the picture to the right about 50 yards from the camera in a hemlock. Not so bad now when I first put a stand in the tree in the 90's it was only about 10 inches diameter.

(York County)

Back again this evening, likely coming down from the woods and waiting here until its dark before venturing out where there is more human activity.

I believe this is the same doe as above, actually all four of them, the wart one wasn't here.

I had the ISO cranked way up but still it got too dark within a few minutes and the camera wouldn't focus.

you guys are getting me pumped

we put a few food plots in over the last week
    Montani Semper Liberi

(York County)

I got a response from the game commission.

I'll keep watching to see how they are doing.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

None of these deer are showing clinical signs of CWD. A couple appear to be on the thin side of normal but they are also missing most of their hair. And another has fibromas.

Thank you for your concern and keep us posted if anything changes. Deer should be replacing their summer coat now and should be looking better soon.

Hair Loss:

From time to time we get photos of animals with hair loss. We appreciate these observations and the concerns of those who send them.

Some are concerned about chronic wasting disease, but hair loss is not typically a symptom of CWD, except perhaps later in the course of the disease when the animal is severely debilitated and weak. These skin problems are not among the most commonly observed signs of CWD.

The most probable causes of hair loss include these five conditions:

-Demodex mites (Note: deer do not get the same mange mite as bears and foxes; though it is closely related, it is not the same.) However, there is another type of mange caused by a mite called Demodex, and there is a new species of that mite that we think is affecting deer in the Commonwealth. The distribution of this mite can be in the skin over the back, like other causes, but also on the neck and pelvis and on the limbs, even farther down toward the hoof. Mange<http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1208918/mange_pdf>)

- Trauma- Wildlife lead a dangerous existence so a photo of an animal that has hair loss over its bony prominences may be an animal that has been injured either in a man-made event like a car impact, or in the wild in a chase or a dispute with a predator.

- Dermatophilosis (bacterial)- The distribution of hair loss and skin discoloration caused by this bacteria, known in the domestic animal world as "rain rot", is usually where rain would drain over the body, over the back and neck, and down the upper limbs. (Dermatophilosis<http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1204942/dermatophilosis_pdf>)

-Lice- hair loss associated with this external parasite is usually seen in mid to late winter or early spring. There is usually a moth-eaten patchy appearance, often worse in areas the animal can reach to chew itself.

-Endocrine- the most common distribution of the hormone-influenced hair loss is symmetrical loss over the back. To date we have only made this diagnosis in bears.

Unfortunately, without testing the animal there is no way to confirm a diagnosis. Fortunately, most of these diseases can potentially resolve over time if there is a robust immune response. It is worth noting that many of these photos come from trail cameras and it is common to put some sort of attractant or food to get animals to come in to them. Many diseases, including some of those that affect the skin and hair coat are spread by the congregation of animals. For this reason, feeding animals is not recommended and should be stopped immediately if you start to see symptoms of disease. The answer to the question of whether wildlife with damaged skin and hair can be consumed is the same as for other injuries: If no abnormal color, texture, or odor is detected in the process of processing the animal it is probably safe to consume if the meat is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F, as determined by a meat thermometer used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Fibromas:

They appear to be cutaneous fibromas, which are wart-like, hairless tumors caused by a virus. The virus species-specific and poses no known threat to people or non-cervid domestic animals. Transmission is thought to occur through biting insects and possibly by direct contact with other infected deer or various contaminated materials in the environment that might scratch the skin allowing the virus to invade.

Fibromas are restricted to the skin of deer and do not spread to internal organs. The impact of fibromas on the health of the deer varies depending on the number and size of the skin masses. If fibromas are small and few in number, the deer’s immune system can take care of the tumors and they resolve spontaneously without significant impact to the health of the deer. In most cases, fibromas are small and resolve on their own. However, occasionally fibromas can become large or numerous, at which time they may significantly impact the health of the deer, either by interfering with sight, respiration, eating or walking or they may become ulcerated resulting in secondary bacterial infections. When fibromas are large, numerous, or in critical locations (eyes, mouth, etc.), they can result in significant disease and death. There is no treatment for fibromas in wild deer.

Although the virus associated with fibromas does not infect humans fibromas with evidence of secondary bacterial infections would cause a deer carcass to be unfit for human consumption. Deer carcasses with fibromas that do not have evidence of secondary infections would not pose a threat to human health and the venison would be safe to eat if properly prepared and cooked. However, often the decision to eat the venison or not may be made for aesthetic reasons.

You can also find information on our website in the Wildlife Disease Reference Library – Fibromas. (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=661079&mode=2

(Westmoreland County)

Attachment 75816

These are the four main shooters in our chunk of 2B. We also have a set of twin six points that are legal.

(Delaware County)

(Allegheny County)

I have decided to get a couple more cams. I'm going to change up the security effort to try to dissuade the recreational criminals. I just got some new chain. It's 1/2" Pewag grade 120 square link. A buddy is giving me a couple 12" pieces of 6" schedule 40 pipe. I'll light up the torch and Lincoln 250 and have my way with them and see what i come up with for a security containment. Not sure what cams I'll get this time.

Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast