Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question AK-47 and Saiga 7.62 Question

Hey, basic AK-47 and Saiga 7.62 question. I was wondering is it possible to easily remove a few parts in either gun to make them essentially furniture. I just want to know if it's similar to the Nagant (okay I know no way it will be that simple) where I can take the bolt and mag out and with two screws and put them somewhere inaccessible to others and making the rifle a danger only if you dropped it on your toe. .

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: AK-47 and Saiga 7.62 Question

You mean disable it and turn it into "art"? You can disasemble an AK in no time, and if you want to disable it you can open the top cover and remove the firing mechanism with no tools. That gun was known for being so simple that when the men using it went home their children could take it apart and clean it while daddy ate.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    Hey, basic AK-47 and Saiga 7.62 question. I was wondering is it possible to easily remove a few parts in either gun to make them essentially furniture. I just want to know if it's similar to the Nagant (okay I know no way it will be that simple) where I can take the bolt and mag out and with two screws and put them somewhere inaccessible to others and making the rifle a danger only if you dropped it on your toe. .

Thanks!

Yes, You would push in the button on the back that releases the top cover. Then push that button again to release the spring. The bolt will slide and can be stored. No joking it can be done in a few seconds, even blindfolded.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    You mean disable it and turn it into "art"? You can disasemble an AK in no time, and if you want to disable it you can open the top cover and remove the firing mechanism with no tools. That gun was known for being so simple that when the men using it went home their children could take it apart and clean it while daddy ate.
    I figured that might be the case. Not turn it into art so much as make sure if someone gained access to it with out the parts, they couldn't do jack with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Yes, You would push in the button on the back that releases the top cover. Then push that button again to release the spring. The bolt will slide and can be stored. No joking it can be done in a few seconds, even blindfolded.
    Cool. So by doing that the rifle becomes at most a whacking stick in terms of safety?

Hmm things like this make keeping rifles at my house (even in a dingy locker) a lot more of a possibility.

(Monroe County)

Cool. So by doing that the rifle becomes at most a whacking stick in terms of safety?

Correct, without the bolt it cannot chamber a round to fire and becomes a whacking stick unless you add a bayonet then it's a pointy whacking stick.

(Montgomery County)

Correct, without the bolt it cannot chamber a round to fire and becomes a whacking stick unless you add a bayonet then it's a pointy whacking stick.
    Nice!

Man that is good to know! I assume it's the same with the Saiga? Hmm...I do love that handgun...but an AK or Saiga...well luckily they're fairly cheap and I can easily set money aside, and if lucky find a trade here which removes the need for an FFL transfer.

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Nice!

Man that is good to know! I assume it's the same with the Saiga? Hmm...I do love that handgun...but an AK or Saiga...well luckily they're fairly cheap and I can easily set money aside, and if lucky find a trade here which removes the need for an FFL transfer.

Thanks!
    Yes, it's the same with the Saiga which are AK's with slight cosmetic differences and a change to preventing original AK magazines from working. Personally I spent the hour needed to convert mine back and am very happy with it.

(Allegheny County)

Some visual aid.

After popping off the top cover, the spring assembly, and pulling the bolt carrier out. (5 seconds worth of work... If youre a slow kid) Just twist out the bolt. Seen here.

You are then free to reassemble the rifle and it will look like it would any other time. But is rendered effectively a paper weight. Even with a live mag in it. It won't do anything.

(Beaver County)

I assume you want to do this for kids or angry women in the house? B/C the obvious statement is while it may be useless to criminals at the initial break in, they can still order the bolt/carrier on line without needing an FFL and then they have a working firearm. Most of your garden variety criminals would know what they are holding but wouldn't know why it won't go bang.

(Montgomery County)

Yes, it's the same with the Saiga which are AK's with slight cosmetic differences and a change to preventing original AK magazines from working. Personally I spent the hour needed to convert mine back and am very happy with it.
    Sweet. See with the 299 prices I've seen for the Saiga 7.62, I'm kind of leaning towards that. granted the only initial thing I would do is fix the CA mag hobbling of the gun. I mean an AK that only fires 10 rounds is just stupid. I mean they don't make drums for nothing! I also like the idea of being able to shoot an ammo that's still being made in quantity, BUT has a ton of milsurplus ammo available (in seemingly infinite amounts and fairly cheap too).

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Some visual aid.

After popping off the top cover, the spring assembly, and pulling the bolt carrier out. (5 seconds worth of work... If youre a slow kid) Just twist out the bolt. Seen here.

You are then free to reassemble the rifle and it will look like it would any other time. But is rendered effectively a paper weight. Even with a live mag in it. It won't do anything.
    Awesome, that means it can really be stored anywhere in the house. Hell I just keep the barrel out of the furniture and it's even less of an issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I assume you want to do this for kids or angry women in the house? B/C the obvious statement is while it may be useless to criminals at the initial break in, they can still order the bolt/carrier on line without needing an FFL and then they have a working firearm. Most of your garden variety criminals would know what they are holding but wouldn't know why it won't go bang.
    Yeah, that's pretty much why. I mean I would like to avoid criminals having accessing to guns and such, but the kids reason is pretty much why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast