Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Exclamation Custom Full Auto submachine gun question

I am somewhat new to the NFA/Class III relm. So here is my question:
    I often buy guns and parts off of Gunbroker.com and a few other gun auction sites. I was wondering if i was able to buy the parts and piece together my own MP5 or something along those lines, and get it legal here in PA? I would absolutely love to own something like that but i want to know if i am legally allowed to custom build it. I often see "registered full auto" parts for sale online that only shit to NFA dealers....

CAn someone clear this up for me so i have a better understand please?

Thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Custom Full Auto submachine gun question

Normal folks like you or I can only have a machinegun transferred to us that was already made and registered before 1986. It is illegal to construct a new machine gun after that date, and all machineguns made after that date can only be transferred to police/military.

Auto sears made and registered before 1986 can be used to make a normal semi-auto into a machinegun because the auto sear is the registered part in those situations.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

What's your budget for this MP5 build? Unless you have at LEAST 15K laying around it's not gonna happen.

(Washington County)

You need to find a registered, transferable machinegun.

And pony up the cash. Only those who can afford it, or have powerful political connections need apply to the post 1986 world.

(Lancaster County)

First off, let me apalogize on my spelling and grammer...at work and trying to type fast :P
    I dont care about the cash part. Im not rich, but i sure can save.... So any full auto machinegun 1986 or older is allowed to be owned and transfered to me? But if i have a newer gun, i can put an old full auto sear into it to make it full auto? I am right in assuming i am NOT allowed to modify that sear to fit other guns?

Since the MP5 subject is a bit pricey, why not say full auto AK47. Those parts are everywhere. Can i custom build one of those, and just get ahold of a registered sear, install that and be good to go?
    I am the kind of person that likes to customize my guns....i dont like cookie cutter guns....

Thanks for the replys so far! :-D

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    What's your budget for this MP5 build? Unless you have at LEAST 15K laying around it's not gonna happen.
    Well unless you know who broke into that LAPD armory recently. lol

(Washington County)

On HK guns, and a few others, the sear is registered. IIRC, AK's have a registered receiver.

You can marry a sear to a gun, but the ATF has said that it cant be a newer, so you couldnt take a newer model from H&K, and toss in an auto sear. At least thats how Ive read it.

I would go over to subguns.net and check out some stuff there, thats going to be your best place to read up on FA subjects. Also get the text of the National Firearms Act and amendments and read it over a few times. Makes for a boring afternoon, but could save your arse form doin time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    On HK guns, and a few others, the sear is registered. IIRC, AK's have a registered receiver.

You can marry a sear to a gun, but the ATF has said that it cant be a newer, so you couldnt take a newer model from H&K, and toss in an auto sear. At least thats how Ive read it.

I would go over to subguns.net and check out some stuff there, thats going to be your best place to read up on FA subjects. Also get the text of the National Firearms Act and amendments and read it over a few times. Makes for a boring afternoon, but could save your arse form doin time.

Which in turn could prevent any need to worry about saving your ass while doing time!

Kidding aside a lawyer is also good to consult with potentially. If you're spending good money on the gun, you don't want to goof on the diligence.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    or have powerful political connections need apply to the post 1986 world.

I have powerful Political connections, didn't help me any, I had to do it like everyone else and save my money/work lots of hours/skip vacations/sell off guns to buy what I wanted.

please explain how these connections can help??
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    I have powerful Political connections, didn't help me any, I had to do it like everyone else and save my money/work lots of hours/skip vacations/sell off guns to buy what I wanted.

please explain how these connections can help??
    He is almost certainly referring to demo letters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast