Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: NRLTCP

Default NRLTCP

Does anyone know if Fayette county will process non resident permits? I tried in Pittsburgh and they said they didn't do it at all. According to the county page Washington, Allegheny, and Greene don't do it either. Fayette is an unknown. I travel from W. Va to Pittsburgh occasionally and just want to make my drive as short as possible to obtain a permit.

Thanks!

Az

(Fayette County)

Default Re: NRLTCP

Fayette County does issue NR LCC permits. With a few conditions.

First and foremost, you must have a LCC for the state in which you are a resident.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109:
    (e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following: ...
    (ix)A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Second, the state for which you have an LCC must have a reciprocity agreement with PA. (So, Ohio & Maryland residents you're out of luck in Fayette County, and most of SW PA. Some NW counties do for Ohio.)

Third of course, considering conditions 1 & 2 are met, you must still pass a PICS check.

Conditions 1 & 2 do not apply to active and retired LOEs. Their credentials satisfy those requirements. Even though LOSA covers them some officers still get or want the permits.