Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Looking for firearms training

Hey there! I have a situation that hopefully someone here can help me with. My mother-in-law who lives in Gettyburg, Pa. needs to learn how to use and understand firearms. She has a pistol (automatic) she keeps in the house for her own protection. It belonged to my deceased father-in-law and I believe it is still registered to him. I told her either she goes for some firearms training or I'm taking it away from her. I think she would be better off with a 22 or something smaller than the weapon she has. She is a small women (100 lbs.) and the gun is about three times the size of her hand. I'm afraid that she will hurt herself with it and I don't think she knows more than pull the trigger and it goes bang! Help!!

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for firearms training

Quote Originally Posted by Nedbrod View Post
    Hey there! I have a situation that hopefully someone here can help me with. My mother-in-law who lives in Gettyburg, Pa. needs to learn how to use and understand firearms. She has a pistol (automatic) semi maybe she keeps in the house for her own protection. It belonged to my deceased father-in-law and I believe it is still registered no registry in Pa to him. I told her either she goes for some firearms training or I'm taking it away from her Wow when did you become her dad?. I think she would be better off with a 22 or something smaller than the weapon she has Sounds to me you want the gun she has . She is a small women (100 lbs.) and the gun is about three times the size of her hand. I'm afraid that she will hurt herself or you for tying to take it from her with it and I don't think she knows more than pull the trigger and it goes bang! Hopefully not in you direction Help!!
    Red is my opinion.

If you really just want to help why not train or get her training? Don't be stupid and try taking anything. Might just get you hurt or in jail.
    The day we lose our will to fight is the day we lose our freedom.

(Allegheny County)

Start with the NRA first steps, and then Basic Pistol

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Start with the NRA first steps, and then Basic Pistol

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
    Good call, I second that.

(Chester County)

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

First, the NRA first steps course is a good place to start.

Next, there is no registry but I understand what you are trying to say, however, the gun is legally hers as a husband can pass a gun to his wife and it considered legally transferred. You, on the other hand would be guilty of theft if you did take it from her and it really is not in your place to do so. Her husband had it in the house and she learned nothing of safety?

Also, you say it is automatic? I think you may mean it is a semi-auto; what is the gun?

Lastly, you want your MIL to have a 22 for protection? Hey I know 22's have killed people but I am not certain I would trust my life with it, or my MIL's life. I know plenty of small women in the 100-150 lb range that can not only shoot, but carry full size firearms, such as a 1911. Often time the bigger and heavier pistols have less felt recoil, such as my dad's 5" .357 revolver. The felt recoil is less then my Glock 23.

I would get her the safety class and then let her decide if the gun she has is the gun she wants.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Adams County)

Thanks for all the responses. First, Wiz, obviously you don't understand the situation. I could care less about the guns. I don't own any and certainly don't want them. A weapon in untrained hands is more dangerous than I care to imagine. I'm surprised to hear that there is no registry of weapons in Pa. Much different than NJ. Obviously I know very little about them but she actually carries the thing when she goes walking at night! Hence that is the reason I want her to learn how to use it. I'll pay for her to learn how to use it safely and she is willing to do that. You all are correct that the NRA is THE place to start. The problem is finding a location in Adams County, PA. My mil is 70 years old and I want her to be safe and as said by Acosenza, she should decide if the gun is too big or not. I think it's a semi because she told me (according to her dead husband) it has one in the chamber and 10 in the clip. I'm trying to learn a little more about it but I'm adament that she learn how to use it or get rid of it. I live almost 250 miles away so I'm not able to talk with the locals about what is available to her. Thanks for all your thoughts and help.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    First, the NRA first steps course is a good place to start.

Next, there is no registry but I understand what you are trying to say, however, the gun is legally hers as a husband can pass a gun to his wife and it considered legally transferred. You, on the other hand would be guilty of theft if you did take it from her and it really is not in your place to do so. Her husband had it in the house and she learned nothing of safety?

Also, you say it is automatic? I think you may mean it is a semi-auto; what is the gun?

Lastly, you want your MIL to have a 22 for protection? Hey I know 22's have killed people but I am not certain I would trust my life with it, or my MIL's life. I know plenty of small women in the 100-150 lb range that can not only shoot, but carry full size firearms, such as a 1911. Often time the bigger and heavier pistols have less felt recoil, such as my dad's 5" .357 revolver. The felt recoil is less then my Glock 23.

I would get her the safety class and then let her decide if the gun she has is the gun she wants.
    I agree with this,get her some training and then let her decide. (This gun possibly brings back fond memories for her.)
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Adams County)

I responded to your PM
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President