Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default OC Event Crash-and-Burn

Here’s the story: I have an OC hike planned for Brady’s Run Park (Beaver County) for Saturday morning, posted it on POOFA and a local hiking group’s site (the write-up is quoted in the POOFA listing, please no flames about the rules, could be untrained people showing up). We’ll be nearly invisible to the public, sticking to the trails, and the park and local police have been notified, so it’s not hard-core. Background – I’m a well-trained and experienced outdoor trip leader for a few organizations. I love to create unique, fun, adventurous events, and have gotten pretty good at it. Also have gotten some good firearms training, and NRA RSO certification.

Anyway, when I hit “send”, I knew things might get crazy; sure, it’s pretty provocative to some. I figured that a few hikers who were interested would go, the ones that weren’t interested wouldn’t, and a few would vocally disagree on political grounds. Two rsvp’d yes, and 7 or 8 posted favorable comments, like “This sounds great! Too bad I have plans” and “A hike at Gameland in Wexford with range time could be fun”. So far, so good.

Then the shitstorm started. First, “Can't believe you provide a forum for such trash; studies are clear that your chances of being killed or wounded rise dramatically in the presence of any firearm.” (wanted to say “yeah, that’s why I carry”, but I didn’t – had to be respectful), and went downhill from there. A mere three people overran the listing with comments, just like an Occupy group, and also started ranting on the group’s message board. They created quite the hysteria – OMG, armed hikers showing up at any of our events now! The owner of the site and I agreed that it was spiraling out of control, and the listing had to be pulled.

OK, posting it there was pretty ballsy, but probably pretty stupid too. I get that – again, no need to flame. But the “hikers with guns” hysteria got me thinking – maybe this state needs a “PA Hikers With Guns” group. The Meetup platform is great for scheduling and managing events, I already have Organizer access, and it’s free to users. I could very easily have a site up and running in a few days. Can’t OC in state parks yet, but there’s also OC in state forests, county & local parks with trails, city streets, etc.

So how many of yinz would join PA Hikers With Guns? Anyone have a better name for the group? Also, if you’d be interested in volunteering to lead your own hikes for the group, say so in a post here, and tell us what parks you might hike at. It only works with volunteers. Speak up – if there’s a good response, I’ll “make it so.”

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC Event Crash-and-Burn

that all goes along with why would you need a gun at a restaurant mindset.

Did you expect anything less from the "Granola munching" outdoor crowd? Not to stereotype, but much of the hiking crowd is of the left wing mentality. You even knew this going into your venture, as you were apprehensive about your posting. I guess you got the reaction you were expecting.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Did you expect anything less from the "Granola munching" outdoor crowd? Not to stereotype, but much of the hiking crowd is of the left wing mentality. You even knew this going into your venture, as you were apprehensive about your posting. I guess you got the reaction you were expecting.
    Jules
    Jules you left out tree hugging, com by ya singing, dirt worshiping, pot smoking, VW van driving left wingers~!
    Any how OP I hike armed and thats about that. I dont know that a group is needed. However I am only one opinion. I say go for it make a group and see what happens!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

i had read your post i actually liked it, but then again im one of those gun toting whackos
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

Start a group in the ZRT, a lot of them like survivalist hiking outdoorsy things (like me) I actually hike a LOT, down here in Delco, we have a few decent trails that aren't too turfed up by the quad and dirtbike crowd.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Any how OP I hike armed and thats about that.
    +1

I'm also confident enough and don't need any kind of support group
    Je suis déplorable

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Jules
    I wasn't apprehensive, so much as just unsure what would happen. I don't think you're stereotype fits the group; it's a pretty good cross section. Twice as many people posted favorable comments, but the anti's were rabid. Isn't that always the way, with the "tolerant" left? "How dare you hold views WE don't approve of?"

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: OC Event Crash-and-Burn

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Isn't that always the way, with the "tolerant" left? "How dare you hold views WE don't approve of?"

Of course.

Liberals like to preach tolerance.

Of THEIR views.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Then the shitstorm started. First, “Can't believe you provide a forum for such trash; studies are clear that your chances of being killed or wounded rise dramatically in the presence of any firearm.” (wanted to say “yeah, that’s why I carry”, but I didn’t – had to be respectful), and went downhill from there. A mere three people overran the listing with comments, just like an Occupy group, and also started ranting on the group’s message board. They created quite the hysteria – OMG, armed hikers showing up at any of our events now! The owner of the site and I agreed that it was spiraling out of control, and the listing had to be pulled.
    I wish you would have asked us for some help before pulling the ad.

I think that many here would have posted to educate the uneducated. If nothing else, we would have prevented them from swamping the board.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast